TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

HAUNT NEWS!

Semi-Confirmed:

MAZE OF MADNESS returning for the 40th Celebration! This was always one of (if not the) most popular former mazes at the park, Haunt fans will love this! This was always one of the park's most popular mazes and I'd love to see to see what they can come up with now that HAUNT is so much better than several years ago.

Rumors are it is replacing Medieval Macabre. I'd guess this as well as I've been saying it's on the chopping block this year all season long.

The room with the mirrors/strobes/hospital beds that they had in The Asylum back in 2011 needs to be recreated in this.

10565191_10203442252088517_8930575332702043204_n.jpg.b112947bf1cdbbe12bbdbef1503a6038.jpg

HAUNT NEWS!

Semi-Confirmed:

MAZE OF MADNESS returning for the 40th Celebration! This was always one of (if not the) most popular former mazes at the park, Haunt fans will love this! This was always one of the park's most popular mazes and I'd love to see to see what they can come up with now that HAUNT is so much better than several years ago.

Rumors are it is replacing Medieval Macabre. I'd guess this as well as I've been saying it's on the chopping block this year all season long.

The room with the mirrors/strobes/hospital beds that they had in The Asylum back in 2011 needs to be recreated in this.

Medieval Macabre is done, I talked to a Haunt worker who confirmed that for me.

It was a shame, I almost liked that maze! just kidding

MM was good the past couple of years and was one of my favs, but last year it was just bad. It went from one of the best to one of the worst. I won't really miss it. Plus that photo thing before you er in the maze was really irritating. Maze of Madness sounds cool. And I still miss the asylum. I liked that one...

^ i'm assuming you mean on rebel yell? I have noticed that too, but here's what I noticed; it seems to me that it doesn't really matter because when they race, it seems to balance out as the left side picks up some more speed in the second part and so it actually gets really close. At least, that's what I've observed.

Sorry if this is old news, but does anyone else notice how the the track on the right side has a faster lift. Why??

When I was there they were even dispatching the left side first to try and compensate, but the right side would still pass it on the lift. Definitely moving quite a bit faster. Seems to this not-mechanically-inclined person like it'd be an easy thing to fix, if they wanted.

Sorry if this is old news, but does anyone else notice how the the track on the right side has a faster lift. Why??

When I was there they were even dispatching the left side first to try and compensate, but the right side would still pass it on the lift. Definitely moving quite a bit faster. Seems to this not-mechanically-inclined person like it'd be an easy thing to fix, if they wanted.

the right side lift has been slightly faster for as long as i can remember. like maybe even before Paramount. i have no idea why.

Edited by smallpox

This is a little bit off topic, but in a recent Kings Dominion commercial the last coaster shown was an invert that had the same teal combination as the track at Clermont. I looked through pictures of all the B&M inverts and none of them share the same color combination. Any thoughts on what it might mean?

^Isn't their inverted "gap" filled by volcano? I know the experienced provided by B&M inverts is quite different but there aren't many parks with two full circuit inverts.

Alright- guess what time it is? TRIP REPORT TIME!! ok, so this TR will be relatively short, and photos are a no- for this one. I have some, but they are not worth sharing. So we only went in the evening, and managed to get a few rides in. It was actually really crowded for a Tuesday! We got a walk on on Dominator, in the back row. Then we got a ride on the drop zone and had dinner- the cheesesteaks were actually not half bad, but eat them right away! Mine was cold. After that, we hopped another ride on drop zone and headed to the wind seeker. Then,we did Ricochet and Rebel yell before going to volcano for an evening ride. On our way out, I got another walk on on Dominator and with that our night ended. I guess some reviews are in order:

Dominator (2): good as always, I noticed little to no B&M rattle tonight, which was a pleasant surprise. 8.5/10

Drop Zone (2): very good drop, great views, short lines, just don't ride right after dinner. 8/10

Windseeker: glorified observation tower, good views, a good break from the crowds. Relaxing. 6.5/10

Ricochet: Good little wild mouse with a cool drop. A bit jerky. 5/10

Rebel Yell: sweet racing woodie, a bit rough tonight, and operations were a bit slow. 7/10

Volcano: surprisingly long lines for a Tuesday (40 min.) but the (short) ride is worth it. 9/10

Side note: I did not ride I305 tonight. Seeing as I come here every week, I just didn't find the time for it. It was a choice between Volcano and I305, and I chose Volcano just because I hadn't ridden it in awhile. However, I305 blows all the other coasters there out of the water. I'll go ahead and review it here:

Intimidator 305: Front row!!! Insane ejector air, everything is intense! Best seat: 1st row right side! 10/10

Thanks for reading, if you even read it.

I know its a bit late, but I've done my Haunt auditions, and I hope I get to go for year number three! I'm hoping to be placed in one of the outside areas, the two that I'm interested in are Necropolis, and the one that isn't surprising at all for me to be interested in Feary Tales.

Also, on another note - I wonder if Kings Dominion is going to get a water park expansion soon. Then again, from memory serving I don't think any of the "new" Cedar Fair parks got any water park upgrades.

Also, on another note - I wonder if Kings Dominion is going to get a water park expansion soon. Then again, from memory serving I don't think any of the "new" Cedar Fair parks got any water park upgrades.

2015 will be the year. Kings Island, Cedar Point, Dorney Park, Carowinds, ect. have all gotten water park upgrades in the past 3 seasons.

Just Rode Intimidator for the first time last week! I was scared to hell that it was going to be closed for Thunderstorms when I got to the park, but it turned out NO one was there and even with one train I got 14 night rides. It cracked my top five into the number 4 slot behind Voyage, MForce, and Goliath Walibi. Such an intense beast and would be unquestionably in the two spot without the OTSRs and the mega trim near the end of the ride. KD has a massively good steel coaster collection with I305, Volcano, FOF, BExpress, Dominator, Shockwave, Anaconda and Avalanche. Lots of variety and world class stuff there.

Went to the park today for the first time. Thanks to all those they gave advice about 10 pages back. The tip to go to Volcano is critical. I was on the second train and shortly after that there was a really long wait. Almost everything was a walk on even with 1 train ops. I 305 was about a three train wait but only running 1.

I was very surprised at how much I liked Rebel Yell over Racer. I live across the street from KI and was wierded out a bit with the similarities in the park but Rebel Yell had a lot more airtime than Racer. My only problem was why can't the exit just exit onto the path it is inches from instead of wrapping around for a half mile. Also I was pleasantly surprised with Avalanche. I had high expectations of I 305 and it far exceeded my expectations. The park also has a lot more trees on International street and in the center of the park which is a nice bonus. I had some King Kobra flashbacks on Shockwave. On my way out I was asked to do a survey about FunTV. The questions were just like the questions and info that was given during Banshee Bash.

Thanks for all the tips. I had a great time but I still like Ki better Got to support my local park.

I'm glad you enjoyed the park, especially Intimidator 305 and Rebel Yell. Rebel Yell in the middle of a car (non-wheel seat) is still one of my favorite woodies out there... I enjoy it much, much more than KI's Racer and Carowinds' Thunder Road.

I've been on both Thunder Road and Racer, and I'm going to Kings Dominion in a few weeks. I hope its as fun as you claim

Was at Kings Dominion today on a very casual trip. Saw shows, went to the top of the eiffel tower, and only rode a few roller coasters. I also looked for those markings in Water Works, but couldn't find them. Can someone please tell me exactly where they are? Is it possible they're gone? Other than that, two things caught my eye while I was there.

First thing is that my favorite of the four shrooms is missing an eyelid. The poor chap looks like he had a rough night.

Second thing, is that I noticed the walk way path for the Hurler has a bunch of footers that surround the pathway. I took a photo of a few to show you what I mean. Anyone know why those are there?

phfoto.thumb.JPG.b53ae227034d1f7ad3d4c04d22143f56.JPG

photo.thumb.JPG.f666662617abf2a7f11ea6b03009040b.JPG