TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

This is what Screamscape was able to tell us.
(7/24/14) A reader pointed out an interesting find on the Kings Dominion website. If you look closely at the Waterworks logo used on one of the main waterpark page slides, you can see it has been placed over the top of a SOAK CITY logo. The “SO” can be clearly seen sticking out on the lower left side, and the round top and wave graphic is sticking out the top half of the logo from behind the Waterworks logo. Is this a subtle hint that Waterworks will be renamed as “Soak City” in 2015?

While we’re on the subject, a trusted source tells us that they were able to confirm survey markings in the backstage area south of the Wavepool. There is talk of adding a large multi-lane Mat Racer slide of some kind as part of the 2015 project. I don’t know if that will be the primary new attraction, or just one of two or three new things at this point. Stay tuned!

I'm so excited now

The returning makes perfect sense. That's good for the park. And assuming we do get the mad racers and that slide complex like snake pit, then I think they both should go in the back of the section of the water park. I won't cry if shoot the curl has to leave but I'd rather see them remove nothing.

YOURE SAYING THAT LIKE ITS A BAD THING!!! He'll if both of those went into the park next year with a couple other improvements, forget roller coasters! I would be spending HOURS on those! That would be like a dream come true!

No, I said that that it's most likely the best case scenario. If you look at Cedar Fair's recent water park renovations they don't add a lot of slides. CP renovated Soak City in 2012 and they only added the mat racer, the rest was spent on repainting the other slides, and overall freshen up the place.

When Kings Island renovated their park the only new attraction was another wave pool, the rest of the money was spent on renovating and building a new entrance.

If they are renovating the water park for 2015 expect most of the budget to be for renovating what's already there, and not for new attractions. I could see the snake pit complex or a mat racer being added, or maybe the wave/bowl combo that Carowinds got. But as I said, they will probably not add a lot of slides.

2015 update

Either they are happy they got the tease out and/or they realized how that people noticed the Soak City logo - it is gone from the advertisement now. I'm still confident with 2015 being a transformation and renovation of WaterWorks to Soak City.

BEFORE:

[/b][/size]

[attachment=1]kd_waterpark_rotator.jpg[/attachment]

I sent a request for comment on the picture to the PR department on behalf of TPR, however, I doubt I will hear anything.

I wonder if the Soak City logo wasn't a mistake... or a diversion...

I know some KD employees have "gone rogue" in the past and revealed stuff early and/or have used such diversions to pull focus away from another new ride. I will post an image of the email response from the PR department as soon as I receive it.

^ They're not going to respond, bud. But we do know for certain there are survey markings throughout WaterWorks and this has been rumored for next season for quite a while - along with more 40th Celebration improvements bringing the past back to the park.

I'm excited for more 2015 teasers/announcements and 2014 Halloween Haunt teasers/announcements.

I've already heard rumblings of the idea of a B&M launcher for 2016/2017 since HW's announcement last night. It would make perfect sense at KD, which is known for it's past with launch coasters and lack of an original B&M.

So I was at KD the past three days including today. So here is what I experienced.

I liked intimidator 305. It's definitely not my favorite coaster oddly. The restraints really hurt my shoulders on the airtime hills. I felt it was more of a stress test than a ride. I came off with a headache from straining to combat greying out. I felt if it didn't cause grey outs and had Lap bars it would be a lot better. My favorite coaster there was volcano. I love the nice launches. It's sort of smooth. I love the rolls. Shockwave..... Just no. I hate it with a passion. I don't think I will ever be able to have kids. Or shoulders that feel good. Or a head without a headache. Back lot stunt coaster was cool. Pretty smooth too. Flight of fear was awesome though the mid course brakes sucked. Grizzly was awesome, some airtime and not to terribly rough. Hurler was alright. That last turn was probably the roughest spot on the ride. The seats are way too small though.

Anaconda sucked too. Whitewater canyon was the best rapids ride I have been ,on. DRENCHED. That back part of the park is actually pretty. Reminded me of silver dollar city. Windseeker runs way longer than steelhawk. The log flume back there too is the best flume I have been on, it's got some rapids and is smooth the drops are good and it doesn't get you too wet. We are going back right now so I will talk about the night rides later

Shockwave..... Just no. I hate it with a passion. I don't think I will ever be able to have kids.

You're 13, you have time to recuperate.

I'm glad you like the park - as far as night rides go, give 305 one more chance in the dark as it's an unbelievable experience and be sure to ride Grizzly at night. Dominion at Dusk is quite good for Cedar Fair.

^ Well to be honest, they're not going to tell you "Yup, that's what we're doing for 2015". WaterWorks is getting additions next year, but it is a question of will it be renamed? And if it is, what will it be called?

I do however find it nice that they responded, PR at the park has really been improved this season really wanting to answer all guests/fans questions and/or concerns.

^ Well to be honest, they're not going to tell you "Yup, that's what we're doing for 2015". WaterWorks is getting additions next year, but it is a question of will it be renamed? And if it is, what will it be called?

I do however find it nice that they responded, PR at the park has really been improved this season really wanting to answer all guests/fans questions and/or concerns.

I see maybe 2/3 small slides and 1/2 big ones, maybe a retheming, then a B&M coaster in 2016 (can you say Holiday World's Thunderbird clone?).

Recently got back from a quick trip to down to KD and all the rides were running great. I have a quick question to ask other people here: has anyone else never greyed out on I305? The strange thing is that I've greyed out on Millennium Force and even more strange is that I've greyed out on Dominator going into the loop. The only thing I can think of that might be preventing grey outs is that I make it a habit to get hydrated before I ride it, but that hasn't helped me on other rides that I have ridden.

Recently got back from a quick trip to down to KD and all the rides were running great. I have a quick question to ask other people here: has anyone else never greyed out on I305? The strange thing is that I've greyed out on Millennium Force and even more strange is that I've greyed out on Dominator going into the loop. The only thing I can think of that might be preventing grey outs is that I make it a habit to get hydrated before I ride it, but that hasn't helped me on other rides that I have ridden.

I must be the exact opposite. I see patches on dominator... Occasionally. I305 is a completely different story. Unless I'm in the right seat 4th row, I grey out every time. Especially in the front row! However, ride front whenever possible. I guess some people experience it, some don't.

Well, guys I did not get any night rides. I spent an hour waiting for the front just to be told that I305 will be close for the rest of the night for fireworks. I was really excited to ride it and I thought I'd never get to ride the front again since I am leaving. Thanks to my parents, I will be riding in the front finally.

Yeah seriously y would u believe them lol

Yea I completely blacked out on the first turn not tensing up at all. I usually tense before it starts turning up. But I don't mind it. The really only part I don't like about the ride are the quick snappy twists. I wanted to put my hands up but I needed to hold on or I got chopped on the neck. I usually get a bad pressure headache on the turn before the first twist. But then it lessens. Man is that ride forceful

Yeah seriously y would u believe them I mean im stupid but im not that stupid lol

I'm not saying they won't upgrade the waterpark next year, I'm saying Soak City is not going to be the "rethemed" name.