TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I'm so confused what's going on

Kings Dominion is probably getting a new name for the waterpark and maybe some new slides to go along with it. This will then lead to pages upon pages of complaining about how long it's been since they got their last coaster with a few complaints sprinkled in about how they didn't get any new rides in the dry park this year either and if BGW builds a premier launched coaster then Kings Dominion will be in big trouble.

I think that just about covers it

This needs done. WaterWorks is the only area of the park that needs renovations to be up to par with the rest of the park. The water park gets just as crowded during summer days as the dry park often, and therefore should be expanded since the last time it was done was in 2007. It's been 8 years next season since anything was even touched in WaterWorks. New slides, paint, names, theming, ect. will be a great way to freshen up this area and advertise it as a whole new section for 2015. I'd actually expect some really good slides going in.

Also, this won't be the only thing done to the park. Next year is the second part of the 40th Celebration, so we'll see more of what was done this season which has been fantastic. With this done plus Soak City I feel like KD will be in the best shape it's ever been going ahead into adding the next thrill machine in 2016/2017.

I will take continued 40th Celebration improvements and a complete overhaul of a whole area of the park before a low-capacity coaster with 3 hour waits next season, but maybe that's just me. The exact right thing is being done to KD next season and I can't wait to see the park being so well-rounded, especially for a Cedar Fair park!

I like most of the water slides, I just don't love them. They have some good slides, but there are newer, better options on the market. They already have tornado, which is cool, but some of the enclosed ones need some serious tlc to be brought up to par. I would like them to put in a version of Vanish Point (like the one at Water Country USA), or something along those lines. Although I would like a new coaster, I think this is the best option for the park and would enjoy it more if this happened.

When we visited on Memorial Day, I couldn't help thinking that KD needed to upgrade their water park. There is quite a bit of room back there to nicely expand...I personally would love to see a good water coaster and higher capacity family and thrill slides.

And a nice swim-up bar wouldn't hurt either!

If they were to do that, they would most likely put it in the very back of the park, or take out shoot the curl and freestylin'. I find shoot the curl to be gross and in need of cleaning, but somewhat fun, and freestylin' to be a bit boring. Some new slides and perhaps a new water coaster would be a welcome addition for me.

^ They'll definitely repaint almost the entire area for sure. Fortunately, KD already has 2 wave pools so the budget won't be wasted on adding a new one like at KI therefore allowing more slides I hope. I'd love a mat-racer as well.

Personally, I love anything that uses a raft/mat, I just don't enjoy body slides at all - although I do ride.

^ I'd agree with that list of wishes.

I wonder if we could possibly see an entrance to the water park added between Ricochet and Hurler? That would bring foot traffic back there (which is needed), make the water park entrance not so congested, and not make the water park be a giant dead end. Probably not going to happen, but I like the idea.

^I remember someone saying that the area between WaterWorks and Hurler was basically reserved for waterpark expansion - obviously just enthusiast talking, but it would definitely be nice to see that happen. Maybe revamp the slides on the 'main side', add some new ones between the wave pool(s) and Hurler, and make it a full loop in the process.

My wish list of slides? I expect at most 2 complexes, so a few of these could potentially be combined into one complex.

-bowl slide

-floor drop body slide(whatever that's called)

-mat racer

-a slide that includes a "wave" at a steep angle (hope you know what i'm talkin about)

I figure the map racers could go in the shoot the curl spot and the complex could go back behind rebel yell and that could probably include almost all of those slide types in one complex. Dorney park did that well with snake pit.

^ I'd agree with that list of wishes.

I wonder if we could possibly see an entrance to the water park added between Ricochet and Hurler? That would bring foot traffic back there (which is needed), make the water park entrance not so congested, and not make the water park be a giant dead end. Probably not going to happen, but I like the idea.

YAAAAAAAAAAAHS!!! Rounds, squares, and octagons of applause for this dude!

My wish list of slides? I expect at most 2 complexes, so a few of these could potentially be combined into one complex.

-bowl slide

-floor drop body slide(whatever that's called)

-mat racer

-a slide that includes a "wave" at a steep angle (hope you know what i'm talkin about)

I figure the map racers could go in the shoot the curl spot and the complex could go back behind rebel yell and that could probably include almost all of those slide types in one complex. Dorney park did that well with snake pit.

The wave at the steep angle like the one at sfog or colossal curl at water country?

Snake pit looks e like the best thing ever tbh. I feel that the mat racer if it went where shoot the curl is now they would have to take out the slide right next to it (name plz) so that the whole thing could fit.

Remembering that this is still Cedar Fair, I'm not excepting to much in terms of new slides.

I would guess the absolute best case scenario would be this:

And this:

They also look to have the Tornado model where adding a conveyor would be very easy. For the convenience of the guests, that should also be done IMO.

Remembering that this is still Cedar Fair, I'm not excepting to much in terms of new slides.

Kings dominion had a miniature version of that in the 90's when the water park was built. They may put in a bigger one as part of the nostalgia of the 40th anniversary celebration.

And this:

They also look to have the Tornado model where adding a conveyor would be very easy. For the convenience of the guests, that should also be done IMO.

YOURE SAYING THAT LIKE ITS A BAD THING!!! He'll if both of those went into the park next year with a couple other improvements, forget roller coasters! I would be spending HOURS on those! That would be like a dream come true!

This is what Screamscape was able to tell us.

(7/24/14) A reader pointed out an interesting find on the Kings Dominion website. If you look closely at the Waterworks logo used on one of the main waterpark page slides, you can see it has been placed over the top of a SOAK CITY logo. The “SO” can be clearly seen sticking out on the lower left side, and the round top and wave graphic is sticking out the top half of the logo from behind the Waterworks logo. Is this a subtle hint that Waterworks will be renamed as “Soak City” in 2015?

While we’re on the subject, a trusted source tells us that they were able to confirm survey markings in the backstage area south of the Wavepool. There is talk of adding a large multi-lane Mat Racer slide of some kind as part of the 2015 project. I don’t know if that will be the primary new attraction, or just one of two or three new things at this point. Stay tuned!