TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

KD's lineup strength depends on how you view it.

The optimist: Man! Two (maybe three) world class coasters! Plus a giant drop tower! And a good kids area! I'm going now!

The indifferent person: It's okay i guess. At least some of the lines in Old Va aren't long.

The pessimist: 11-12 of the 14 coasters are only average/above average? Count me out!

The clueless: I thought Flight of Fear was supposed to be at Kings Island!

See, KD's lineup strength is all in the eye of the beholder. I personally am the optimist, and am one of the few that actually enjoys the Grove/Old Virginia section for its classic thrills and lack of huge rides. I would like them to put in something though.

Ok, yes. Can I have the floor please?

So I was checking up on a screamscape update and if you scroll to the part where it says "future expansions" it says that over the next three years carowinds is going to pour over $50 million into the park. (Link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/carowinds.htm ) and so if I'm correct, a while ago they were given the choice to either pour that $50 million into carowinds or kings dominion. So I just realized.....when the time and money runs out at carowinds in 2016.......what's going to happen to kd after that? is it going to suddenly turn into super crazy fun land?!?!!?!

Even without those two rides I feel KD has a good lineup going with Drop Tower (best I've been on), Dominator (best floorless I've been on), Windseeker, Flight of Fear, and Rebel Yell (better than Thunder Road at Carowinds or Racer at KI), and more.

I do like rebel yell. Good airtime. Dominator honestly i'm not a fan of. Grizzly is ok. Flight of fear is good, I guess. Nothing to shout at. I do love the drop tower though.

I don't really like rebel yell much, I absolutely love dominator. I hate grizzly. And fof is awesome.

KD's lineup is definitely just "average" with the exception of volcano and i305. I'm strongly hoping for a B&M hyper in the future. That'd really give them something that would really finalize that "Big 3." Not only that, but unlike this whole B&M Hyper/Giga in the same park, it would actually work at KD because i305 is nothing like a hyper. Personally, I think its marketable, I just don't think its likely. Its just wishful thinking.

ALTHOUGH! Here's something that I bet not too many people have thought of. So a while ago Cedar Fair said that they were trying to decide whether to pour a bunch of money into Carowinds OR Kings Dominion. And on top of that, knowing how long it takes to plan out a coaster, don't you think that that means that CF had started planning some attractions that would further improve KD? When they decided to choose Carowinds, it probably means that they put some of those plans on hold. And knowing how the Carowinds expansion is going, I'm betting that a water park expansion was part of those KD possible expansion plans. But because thats not as costly as a coaster, that's probably still gonna happen. So after this whole Carowinds expansion thing is finished, KD can probably go back to those plans for that coaster. So if you use that logic, then they probably will be getting an awesome new coaster in the future. Probably just not next year.

^ Hope that actually makes sense and that's not just me rambling...

You're the KD expert. I would like for a water park expansion since this park really needs it.

Cedar Fair is considering Valleyfair for the next expansion.

Over the next 5 years, Cedar Fair will focus on Carowinds, CGA, and Valley fair so there maybe not that much focus on KD over the next five years. Maybe in 2020 5 year mark KD will make it.

Over the next 5 years, Cedar Fair will focus on Carowinds, CGA, and Valley fair so there maybe not that much focus on KD over the next five years. Maybe in 2020 5 year mark KD will make it.

No way - I say 2017 max. This is still one of Cedar Fair's larger parks and has to compete with Busch Gardens and Six Flags America.

And to be honest, these articles are misleading when discussing the decision to build up Carowinds or Kings Dominion. 1.) the have said Charlotte put in a better offer for expansion, but Hanover County (KD) has said they never heard about the offer 2.) Cedar Fair is moving some of its corporate offices to the Charlotte area and wanted to make Carowinds more of a destination park 3.) Carowinds is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to comparing it with the other big 3 former Paramount Parks (CW, KI, KD), it definitely deserves some attention since it didn't get any for nearly a decade and fell well behind the competition.

In all honesty, Carowinds NEEDS this, Kings Dominion does not. Even with a giga next year and everything else they have added recently, Kings Dominion will still be a more rounded, better park... plus it has trees

They've invested quite a bit of money in the 40th anniversary celebration sprucing up the park in general--and I think it's worked for them (most guests are saying that the park hasn't looked this good in years).

Everyone on this site, of course, would like to see a new big coaster, but other improvements are important, too.

KD's lineup is definitely just "average" with the exception of volcano and i305.

what does this mean. what park's lineup isn't average if you take away their two signature rides?

Cedar Point barely fits in this category leaving Magic Mountain the only park firmly there.

I think there is enough fun to be had at KD for two full days of light lines, but I just love being at parks.

KD's lineup is definitely just "average" with the exception of volcano and i305.

what does this mean. what park's lineup isn't average if you take away their two signature rides?

Cedar Point barely fits in this category leaving Magic Mountain the only park firmly there.

I think there is enough fun to be had at KD for two full days of light lines, but I just love being at parks.

Magic Mountain's lineup is not average when you dont include its headliners...its average even with them What coasters would you even consider Magic Mountain's top 2 headliners?? That whole park is just a big exercise in quantity over quality.

Not to get too far off KD, but I guess I just disagree. Not being able to pick 2 headliners is kind of the point: I find it a well-balanced, enjoyable collection across the board. Tatsu and X2 do stand out to me. But Goliath gets me grinning like crazy. Not a huge GCI fan who is but somehow Apocalypse is totally infinitely reridable to me. Dislike B&M standups but theirs is way above average, almost enjoyable. YOLO had me clapping for it like crazy first ride. Dunno... just love the park. Love the views and the desert. Which probably is a "bias" but hey, landscape is part of ride right?

Love the views and the desert. Which probably is a "bias" but hey, landscape is part of ride right?

SFMM is in the desert?

Honestly, if you enjoy SFMM a ton, I'd recommend going out more to check out better Six Flags parks.

I mean I have hit up a couple other "major" SF parks (Great America, Great Adventure, and New England). And Knotts, CP, and KD too on the CF side. I just like MM, what can I say... I'm different.

And isn't MM tied for first place as the park with the most coasters on your own top 10 list? What other Six Flags beats it then?

In the coaster count they beat all the other parks in the SF chain. Overall quality is an ENTIRELY different story. They come in dead last in my opinion. Again, just MY opinion.

Back to KD.

How has I:305 been doing this season in terms of reliability? Have they been running both trains consistently?

Indeed, did not mean to get you guys derailed .... so to speak. For what it's worth, 305 ran flawless for the entire weekend I was there in late May. It was also virtually walk-on at one point that Volcano was over 40min. Fine with me - got in many, many rides.

How has I:305 been doing this season in terms of reliability? Have they been running both trains consistently?

I was there Friday and it ran flawlessly all day. They only ran one train. It would have been silly to run two, since there was never more than a 3 or 4 train wait.

It all depends n the day. Usually, they run 2, when I'm there. If it is a Monday, Tuesday, etc. with a rain projection, they will probably not run 2. This is just from my experience. I don't know if this is completely correct. The wait on July 4th at 9 pm was around 40 min... If that says anything.

Indeed, did not mean to get you guys derailed .... so to speak.

Haha... I see what you did there.

So I was checking up on a screamscape update and if you scroll to the part where it says "future expansions" it says that over the next three years carowinds is going to pour over $50 million into the park. (Link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/carowinds.htm ) and so if I'm correct, a while ago they were given the choice to either pour that $50 million into carowinds or kings dominion. So I just realized.....when the time and money runs out at carowinds in 2016.......what's going to happen to kd after that? is it going to suddenly turn into super crazy fun land?!?!!?!

Keep in mind that Cedar Fair is trying to "right size" parks they feel are too small for the markets they serve. The park chain is accelerating development at Carowinds, Valley Fair, and California's Great America. At least for Carowinds, that timeframe is 3 years. What might take 5-6 years at a "normal development pace", is being ramped up to just 3 years. It's a business decision that Cedar Fair hopes will bring in greater income for the chain.

Who knows if Cedar Fair was bluffing the Charlotte metro government leaders into giving them some business incentives in order to carry out the expansion at Carowinds. I believe I saw a Charlotte news article interview a Hanover County, VA official (where KD is located), about Cedar Fair's presentation to the Charlotte metro officials. He stated he did not know what Cedar Fair had presented to the Charlotte government and that Cedar Fair officials had not approached the Hanover county officials concerning the potential Carowinds expansion plans.

If Cedar Fair feels Carowinds needs the accelerated expansion, then good for them. I don't think Cedar Fair is ignoring Kings Dominion. Heck, for an "off year" for attractions, KD received way more general capital improvements than any previous season that I can remember. Several things are still a future work in progress (volcano renovations, carousel restoration, paving blocks in the pathways, landscaping, etc).

I don't see a coaster in 2015 for Kings Dominion. My top guess is that the Water Park will get a makeover and expansion for 2015. Cedar Fair has been chugging along with water park renovations and expansions in the chain over the last 3-4 seasons. Worlds of Fun last year, Dorney Park 2 years in a row, Carowinds this year (and 2 years ago), Kings Island in 2012.

If not the water park; then, I see the 40th anniversary celebration continuing with the addition of 2-3 flat rides and maybe the return of some sort of in-park transportation system (steam train or sky ride cable cars). The dark horse could be a Guardian style ride.

I don't expect a coaster for Kings Dominion until the 2016-2017 seasons.

They've invested quite a bit of money in the 40th anniversary celebration sprucing up the park in general--and I think it's worked for them (most guests are saying that the park hasn't looked this good in years).

Everyone on this site, of course, would like to see a new big coaster, but other improvements are important, too.

2 tru

Keep in mind that Cedar Fair is trying to "right size" parks they feel are too small for the markets they serve. The park chain is accelerating development at Carowinds, Valley Fair, and California's Great America. At least for Carowinds, that timeframe is 3 years. What might take 5-6 years at a "normal development pace", is being ramped up to just 3 years. It's a business decision that Cedar Fair hopes will bring in greater income for the chain.

Who knows if Cedar Fair was bluffing the Charlotte metro government leaders into giving them some business incentives in order to carry out the expansion at Carowinds. I believe I saw a Charlotte news article interview a Hanover County, VA official (where KD is located), about Cedar Fair's presentation to the Charlotte metro officials. He stated he did not know what Cedar Fair had presented to the Charlotte government and that Cedar Fair officials had not approached the Hanover county officials concerning the potential Carowinds expansion plans.

If Cedar Fair feels Carowinds needs the accelerated expansion, then good for them. I don't think Cedar Fair is ignoring Kings Dominion. Heck, for an "off year" for attractions, KD received way more general capital improvements than any previous season that I can remember. Several things are still a future work in progress (volcano renovations, carousel restoration, paving blocks in the pathways, landscaping, etc).

I don't see a coaster in 2015 for Kings Dominion. My top guess is that the Water Park will get a makeover and expansion for 2015. Cedar Fair has been chugging along with water park renovations and expansions in the chain over the last 3-4 seasons. Worlds of Fun last year, Dorney Park 2 years in a row, Carowinds this year (and 2 years ago), Kings Island in 2012.

If not the water park; then, I see the 40th anniversary celebration continuing with the addition of 2-3 flat rides and maybe the return of some sort of in-park transportation system (steam train or sky ride cable cars). The dark horse could be a Guardian style ride.

I don't expect a coaster for Kings Dominion until the 2016-2017 seasons.

I never go to any water parks (lines, ROLLER COASTERS) but I will say that the kd water park needs a HUGE revamp cause it's a sad lil thing right now. The only slide I like is the zoom flume. I would also like to see more flat rides and/or a transport, but would that be a lot more maintenance then they really need?

I believe Kings Dominion will upgrade and expand Water Works into Soak City for next year during the 2015 season and then Kings Dominion will receive a MAJOR new coaster for the 2016 season. Here are the reasons: 1. Water Works really needs an upgrade because most of the water slides are old and outdated. 2. Kings Dominion seems to receive what Kings Island receives vice- versa. Kings Island received a Boomerang Bay expansion to Soak City in 2012, had an off year in 2013 with general improvements for then added Banshee a major coaster for 2014. If Kings Dominion did vice versa: Kings Dominion having the 40th anniversary celebration for 2014 (general improvements), receiving a Water Works expansion to Soak City for 2015, then receiving a MAJOR new coaster for 2016. As much as I would love for Kings Dominion to receive a major coaster next year for 2015, (and I'm sure just about everyone on this discussion page would) this seems to be more logical with Carowinds receiving the giga coaster next year.

From Screamscape:

Screamscape sources tell us that land-surveying work has been spotted taking place at Kings Dominion out in the waterpark, between Tidal Wave Bay and Pipeline Peak and on the Shoot the Curl site. Shoot the Curl is expected to be removed at the end of the season. If true, it looks like source’s nod about a Water Work expansion for 2015 may hold true.