TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I feel like "head to volcano first" should be part of the thread title or something. I wonder how many times that (good) advice has been given over the course of this thread.

but yeah - ride volcano first. its line will only get longer and longer throughout the day. i305 is the better ride, but its line stays short because it moves so many more people per hour.

I'm going to kings dominion next Friday. I want to ride everything to make sure I do what do you guys recommended that have been to the park to go on first and so on??

Mr Komar wrote:

I'm going to kings dominion next Friday. I want to ride everything to make sure I do what do you guys recommended that have been to the park to go on first and so on??

I'm a local near Kings Dominion, and you can do almost everything at Kings Dominon (not including Water Works) in about 4-5-6 hours on a Friday. I would definitely reccomend riding the Volcano first and avoid riding Dominator first, even though it's the closest ride to the entrance, because it is always a much shorter line later in the day. Intiminator 305 is usually a walk on or a very short line during Fridays in the afternoon (usually a bit longer at night). But other than Volcano, the other ride with a long line are usually Flight Of Fear, Andaconda, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Shenandoah Lumber Company during the summer, and the Flying Eagles isn't a long line, it just takes a long time because of the capacity. The most busiest section of the park is Safari Village. The rest of the park such as Candy Apple Grove, and Old Virginia is usually not very busy at all. I would say the MOST line waits for rides in Candy Apple Grove and Old Virginia would be 15-20 minutes. I wouldn't reccomend a Fast Lane Pass on a Friday, because I have seen some of the Fast Pass rides at Kings Dominion with a line with about the same amount of people in it as the regular line. (Of course not for all the Fast Lane Pass rides).

Went to the park again today (Sunday July 13) and there was hardly any wait on any ride. We rode Dominator front seat twice at 1030am and when we left at 4pm there was still no line on it visible from the parking lot. Definately a good day to go. 95 degrees and spent 3 hours at the water park after 12 and rode nearly every ride in the park from 10am to 12pm.

Does anybody suspect at all that the unused trademark from Carowinds (either fury... or centurion) could be coming to kings dominion as either a mid sized coaster or a dark ride?

...or it could be not used at all.

Anyone remember Stratosoar?

Since Carowinds has the "Eight wonders of the world" advertisement for their new coaster, I think the new coaster their will be Centurion. But if Centurion is for Carowinds, what if Fury 325 is for Kings Dominion? It would be something if Kings Dominion received a 325 foot coaster.

Since Carowinds has the "Eight wonders of the world" advertisement for their new coaster, I think the new coaster their will be Centurion. But if Centurion is for Carowinds, what if Fury 325 is for Kings Dominion? It would be something if Kings Dominion received a 325 foot coaster.

Why would Kings Dominion need another Gigacoaster when they have Intimidator 305?

Why would Kings Dominion need another Gigacoaster when they have Intimidator 305?

Yeah, I don't see this happening, either. However, Canada's Wonderland has both Behemoth and Leviathan, so I guess anything's possible (just unlikely).

Edited by cfc

I'd rather see a big face lift done to both grizzly and hurler. Anaconda would be nice too...

Something tells me that KD is done messing with Anaconda. The paint job and fountain splurt up is about it. I think they won't be doing anything else to it. Personally, I wish they would've just torn it down rather than try to spruce it up. Grizzly and Hurler though, I get. Hurler seems to be running a bit rougher this year and Grizzly seems to be running normal.

I'd rather see a big face lift done to both grizzly and hurler. Anaconda would be nice too...

Hurler was amazing in 2006 when I rode it for the first time. It had just been retracked and was flying through the course. A few years ago was a different story.

Hurler was amazing in 2006 when I rode it for the first time. It had just been retracked and was flying through the course. A few years ago was a different story.

It was a great ride the first year it opened, too. But it tends to beat itself to death.

Something tells me that KD is done messing with Anaconda. The paint job and fountain splurt up is about it. I think they won't be doing anything else to it. Personally, I wish they would've just torn it down rather than try to spruce it up. Grizzly and Hurler though, I get. Hurler seems to be running a bit rougher this year and Grizzly seems to be running normal.

Cedar Point's corkscrew is a hot mess. No one really rides it these days. Same think as Kings Dominion.

I think that KD will get a water park expansion next year. If they go with RMC in 2016, I could see them doing an I-Box on Grizzly or Hurler. They already have an invert so a wing rider would fit well (if you ride in the back like I'm about to do on GateKeeper.)

shockwave isn't really that bad, just kinda bland imo. Way back when, it was one of the IT coasters. However, when we go there now we only ride it once if the line is really short as it takes forever to get on. Just like king cobra when KI had it. I've never had a problem with the seats as long as you know how to work it, etc etc. It might be around for a while as it still pulls them in (gp wise) and is reliable as far as up time goes. I can only see it going once it reaches its end of life. I do like where its placed in the park tho. Good use of a very narrow space with good visability.

shockwave isn't really that bad, just kinda bland imo. Way back when, it was one of the IT coasters. However, when we go there now we only ride it once if the line is really short as it takes forever to get on. Just like king cobra when KI had it. I've never had a problem with the seats as long as you know how to work it, etc etc. It might be around for a while as it still pulls them in (gp wise) and is reliable as far as up time goes. I can only see it going once it reaches its end of life. I do like where its placed in the park tho. Good use of a very narrow space with good visability.

I do agree with the load times, my friend and I were waiting for 40+ minutes with a line that didn't really go far past the station. As for the GP, there is always a line. However, when I went on it, the bunny hops hurt even with a low seat height. Also, the restraints felt like death contraptions. I'd imagine it's the same on all Togo stand ups. But yes, it gives KD a stand up, which many parks don't have. Overall, I think the only thing keeping it is the space it takes up and the reliability.

I find some compelling evidence KD is getting a new roller coaster next year:

1. Hypersonic station is still standing, and can easily be converted.

2. "Centurion" trademark still out there, and obviously "Fury 325:

" is for Carowinds

3. KD has never gotten a new B&M coaster

4. KD tends to follow KI and vice-versa, which would point to a B&M Invert.

5. "Centurion" could have a double meaning relating to the park's 40th Anniversary.

6. They spent relatively nothing this year on the 40th celebration except for the fountains and changing Volcano's station (total cost: about $1 million). KD is known for spending nothing one year, then splurging the next on a big coaster.

7. Hurler and/or Grizzly are on the chopping block - this is not a secret by any means. Removing one or both would easily clear up room for a GCI woodie, B&M invert, or possibly a Wing Rider (though not likely).

8. One day recently, while riding the Grizzly, I spotted some red track in storage, and it did not appear to be track for the Intimidator. It was B&M track. This is the biggest news yet!

So in conclusion...

Be on the lookout and please let me know about any conferences or details about developments on the new roller coaster next year. I live 5 miles from the park and cannot wait for a new coaster. ☺

*EDIT*:

I found a Google Earth picture to share of the track and supports:

Again:

THIS IS NOT INTIMIDATOR TRACK.

THIS IS B&M TRACK.

Sorry I'm reporting an old post but I've been thinking is too. It has been 5 YEARS since kd's last coaster, and the HXLC station is still back there. I think it would be really cool if they built something that intertwines with the grizzly and the rapids. And I don't think they would demolish hurler since they JUST retracked it this year.