TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Ok somebody please tell me why my post is talking about fluffy bunnies. I even edited it and its still there!

I think that's one of the word filters on this site. For some reason (And I have no idea why) the word |ockers is changed.

What have you got against fluffy bunnies? It has to do with endless complaints about theme-park policies regarding the use of coin-operated storage units.

As for the Tornado slide at KD, it's too bad that they have so much trouble with it. It's fun and somewhat terrifying if you happen to be facing the "wrong" direction during the big, steep drop.

Edited by cfc

I am going to the park soon too and looked into Fast Lane.(it will be Wed or Thur last week of July) Comparing it to KI there are not that many coasters on the list. Am I missing something? KI all coasters except The Bat, Woodstock Express and Great Pumpkin Coaster have Fast Lane. It seems to me, there are quite a few at KD that doesn't have it. I usually get Fast Pass/Lanes when I go to parks alone but this one seems to be a bit disappointing. Also the website said I wouldn't be able to get front row of I305.

^Word is that Windseeker is running again. It's nearly as elusive as Mach Tower at BGW.

^^A lot of the coasters at KD don't need Fast Lane (especially on a week day), but it can sure come in handy for re-rides on Volcano. As for no front seat on I305,that's not surprising, as the front-seat line is longer than for any other row.

Edited by cfc

IMO, fast pass is only worth it if you plan on riding the major rides all day on a Saturday, busy day, etc. if it's a Wednesday, crowds should be manageable, if not light all day.

I305- 30 min. Max

Dominator- depends don't ride mid day

Volcano- long all day , very long in evening

Rebel Yell- 1 cycle wait, usually

Shockwave, ricochet- they can get long, be careful

All other rides (even flats) wait time should max at around 20 min. per ride.

Are you doing the water park, too?

That will take at least 2 hrs. If all slides are up, and not including wave pool.

Thank you all for the replies . Considering that it's July, I just wanted to make sure.

^My main concern was getting a decent amount of rides on I305 (my favorite steel). 30 minutes max doesn't sound too bad. I've already been to the park, so skipping over Ricochet or Shockwave isn't a big deal if necessary. The other lines don't sound too terrible.

I might do the water park, depending how the day is going. Wave pools aren't a big deal to me. They're fun if I catch them while the waves are going; otherwise I'll skip them.

I had the pleasure of visiting King's Dominion last week basically to ride my most favorite thing in the world...i305. Well worth the 9 hr drive just to ride it. I wish it was at King's Island. This is the most extreme coaster in the world. I've ridden all the big ones that get hyped and I never grey out on coasters but i305 kills me. My first ride was all by myself on the train!! I've only had this happen on the Racer at KI and now i305. I had the pleasure of riding 28 times. I greyed out 18, blacked out 8, was rendered totally unconscious once and had this weird experience where i was paralyzed but could see and hear but all the information to my brain was arriving two seconds too late. It was insane. Dale the ride op is a very nice gentleman and i see him every time i visit. He is a credit to KD and great with the riders. Watching riders come back from a ride is amusing. The ride OP says "How was your ride?" and everyone is silent and looks disoriented. AWESOME!

The park was beautiful as always. I like the fountains and trees better than King's Island's version. The crowds were thin, in fact timmy was almost a walk on all day long. I finally got a credit on the wild mouse as it's been broken on my other visits. Dominator is a great B&M and never disappoints. Had a great time!! Already looking foreward to going again next year.

Does anyone think the divided seats on rebel yell are pretty small and tight? I noticed that they were pretty snug.

Yes, they are. They added them a couple of years ago, and they are snug, but I like them in the turnaround as it prevents you from sliding around. I have a feeling it has to do eighth PTC Trains.

Dale the ride op is a very nice gentleman and i see him every time i visit. He is a credit to KD and great with the riders. Watching riders come back from a ride is amusing. The ride OP says "How was your ride?" and everyone is silent and looks disoriented. AWESOME!

Dale is probably the best ride op I have ever had. He does a routine during long lines where he tells jokes.He's awesome!

Does anyone think the divided seats on rebel yell are pretty small and tight? I noticed that they were pretty snug.

Yes, they are. They added them a couple of years ago, and they are snug, but I like them in the turnaround as it prevents you from sliding around. I have a feeling it has to do eighth PTC Trains.

The seats on Grizzly and Hurler seem tighter to me.

The seats on Grizzly and Hurler seem tighter to me.

The Hurler needs them, as I bounce around when I ride it. But yes, I found that many seats on KD's coasters are tighter than usual.

Hi everyone (especially you KD locals). I've seen some of the recent advice you've given regarding crowds and wait times. Very useful info! I also plan on visiting (for my first time) on Tuesday, July 29. I plan on getting Fast Lane Plus, simply because I want to make the most of my time there and don't know if and when I'll be getting back for another visit. Frankly, I'd like to ride Volcano more than once, and that alone would make Fast Lane Plus worth it for me. I do have a couple of questions regarding the FL+ system.

1. Since the consensus seems to be that crowds won't be anywhere near heavy during the week, could I wait off on buying FL+ until I get there, or is pre-purchasing online recommended to avoid the risk of them selling out?

2. How does the system work. I see that FL+ does not allow front row seating on I305. Does this mean that FL+ people get to choose where they sit on the other rides? Or is it where they seat you on the first available seat? Or, is it a station merge?

Thank you for the help. This will help me plan my day better. I can't wait to visit, as I've wanted to go since the I305 ride announcement years ago.

I think it's "station merge" for most of the coasters except I305, which has a separate queue for the front seat. Some coasters use the exit for Fast Lane access, though.

Edited by cfc

In answer to your questions:

1. I would wait until in the park to purchase the fast lane plus pass. There is a purchasing center near the on ride photo booth of volcano, so you could easily gauge the line and buy it after a ride on volcano, if you think the line is long. If the queue is spilling into the porch-like area in front of volcano, you should buy the pass.The FL passes usually don't sell out.

2. As for i305, they won't put you in the front row with FL+, they will probably put you near the back, if not the back row. For the rest of the FL rides, the wait usually isn't that long (with the exception of Dominator/ FOF). Flight of Fear is extremely similar to the one at KI, but it is smoother.

Hope this helps you make a decision!

I think it's "station merge" for most of the coasters except I305, which has a separate queue for the front seat. Some coasters use the exit for Fast Lane access, though.

Wait is the separate que for the front just for fast lane or public. If so where do I find it.