TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I attended on 06/17 and this was my experience:

Volcano (9.0 of 10): This has replaced the Batman as my favorite of the inverted layout coasters, very intense and original. Queue was had good shading.

Intamidator 305 (9.0 of 10): While it does NOT beat Millenium Force in my eyes, it is still an amazing coaster. Very intense. The Queue needed more shading and for some reason was always the hottest.

Dominator (8.0 of 10): This was not quite as good as Superman Krypton Coaster but way superior than Scream! (SFMM)

Anaconda (7.5 of 10): This was a nice classic Arrow though not quite as impressive as many others I have ridden. The initial drop would be better with a turn, then straight drop (Vortex, LNM, Ninja, Orient Express, etc.) and I wish they didn't have those turns in the mid air, the swidewinder was much smoother than that of the Ninja (SFSTL). But I enjoyed it.

Rebel Yell Red (7.0 of 10): Had decent air time and was reasonably smooth.

Rebel Yell Blue (6.5 of 10): Only difference was it was not quite as smooth as the red side.

Grizzly (5.5 of 10): This was an okay woodie, it was reasonably smooth, it just wasn't as intense as I hoped.

Shockwave (5.0 of 10): While this ride was rough, it wasn't unbearably rough unlike Mantis. I was expecting it to be much worse due to its reputation, but I actually was able to enjoy it.

Avalanche (4.5 of 10): It was smoother than La Vibora but not as intense. It was okay.

Hurler (4.0 of 10): It was smooth but was just very dull. No real air time to speak of.

I didn't bother riding the Backlot Stunt Coaster or the Flight of Fear as I rode them back at Kings Island and although decent coasters, not really my thing. Good park overall.

I'm not a fan of Shockwave, but I'd rather ride it than many of the B&M stand ups. The first drop and loop are fun in the front row, but the rest of the ride is pretty shaky, and the restraints are very uncomfortable.

A hyper would by far be my favorite here. If it was the longest coaster in the park, then you might be able to market it. But I agree, next year should be flats and slides.

Would you like some flying scooters and a Disk'O just like my home park Cedar Point? Those two made the Gemini Midway area WAY more popular. The only problem is the CP's flying scooters loading time takes FOREVER!

i knew the flying scooters would be a problem for Cedar Point.The park just gets too many people.Its one of my favorite rides to ride at any park,But its not good for large amounts of people.No snapping whats the point?

Anaconda (7.5 of 10): This was a nice classic Arrow though not quite as impressive as many others I have ridden. The initial drop would be better with a turn, then straight drop (Vortex, LNM, Ninja, Orient Express, etc.) and I wish they didn't have those turns in the mid air, the swidewinder was much smoother than that of the Ninja (SFSTL). But I enjoyed it.

I rode Anaconda a couple of weeks ago and the post-mid-course break section wasn't as awful as I remembered. Maybe they took measures to smooth things out. It really wasn't the painful experience I've had over the past 15 years.

I'm not a fan of Shockwave, but I'd rather ride it than many of the B&M stand ups. The first drop and loop are fun in the front row, but the rest of the ride is pretty shaky, and the restraints are very uncomfortable.

Agreed. Shockwave is better than both, Vortex @ CGA and Mantis. I'm a CP fanboy but Mantis is crap.

We went Sunday again and everything was running, even The Crypt. I305 was smooth as well. After lunch went into waterworks for several hours and I was shocked even Tornado was running.

I was wondering about Tornado. I was at KD two weeks ago, and that slide was bone dry.

Edited by cfc

Half the Time I go to the park, the tornado is down. It gets really frustrating. In all the years that I've been to the park, I think I've only really ridden it twice. That's partly due to that when it is actually open, it has a fairly large line!

Is WaterWorks with admission? KD needs to revamp it. CP should have Soak City w/admission since all the other parks do that.

If Cedar Point feels that they will make more money this way then they'll keep them separate. Since they're a resort destination this setup probably encourages a lot of people to spend at least one full day in each park which not only makes them more money from admission tickets but it makes them more money from people who are staying in their hotels. I don't ever see them making Soak City part of Cedar Point.

Is WaterWorks with admission? KD needs to revamp it. CP should have Soak City w/admission since all the other parks do that.

Do you really want admission to be an extra $20 just so you get access to an inferior water park with lame slides? Soak City at CP sucks and I don't need admission to it so the separate admission ideology is completely logical.

Ive been to Kings Dominion about 8 times so far this season and this is the second time ive seen Tornado actually working. We went in there a little after 12 and we got to the top in about 5 minutes. By the time we went back a couple hours later the line started all the way at the bottom. Rode Pipeline Peak the first time this year ( I think thats the name its the one with the rafts near the bottom and at the top is two rides where you lay on your back). The purple one with all the loops I dont remember it being like this. They must not have enough water going through it because my heels were burning all the way down. They definately make some of their money on locker rentals. For $23-25 a locker its rediculous.

Ok somebody please tell me why my post is talking about fluffy bunnies. I even edited it and its still there!

I think that's one of the word filters on this site. For some reason (And I have no idea why) the word |ockers is changed.