TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I would really love for Kings Dominion to build a B&M hyper coaster like Apollo's Chariot at Bush Gardens Williamsburg for 2015 or 2016. That's just me.
I would support more wing coasters so long as they ride like Gatekeeper - a great layout (in terms of new B&Ms) with the extra thrill of hanging off the sides.

B&M winged hyper? Something like Wild Eagle and Gatekeeper? That might be a bit rough though with the extra speed forcing on the wings.

^Yeah I wonder if the reason Gatekeeper and apparently Flying Over The Rainforest too have some roughness issues is because they are the fastest.

Is it possible that the trains can't handle the speed very well?

^When did you ride it? I suppose that can't be a bad thing but when I rode it (last August) if I sat behind the 2nd row in an outside seat I would get the vibrations. Maybe they wouldn't have been as bad with normal restraints but those vest ones glue you to your seat so I vibrated along.

Here is my guess noob guess for 2015.

I think WildWater Kingdom (AKA Geauga Lake's water park) is finally done for. I think they will close the park and relocate the rides like they did with the ride side. I wouldn't be surprised if we got "Thunder Falls" as a re-conditioned ride, plus some general improvements throughout the water park.

Where do you come up with that about Geauga? Is there anything out there suggesting that it's struggling?

Park Rumor - (6/6/14) If you like visiting Wildwater Kingdom, the waterpark that is the only surviving attraction from the former Geauga Lake and SeaWorld Ohio attraction site, you may want to be sure you visit this season. I’d take this rumor with a HUGE grain of salt right now, but I’m told that attendance is just not anywhere near where Cedar Fair would like it to be and if things don’t improve… Wildwater Kingdom could go the way of Geauga Lake, with the park’s collection of slides being sent out to the other parks in the chain, much like they did with Geauga Lake’s collection of roller coasters. Cedar Fair knows the Sandusky area down the road is ready to pick up the slack between Cedar Point’s Soak City, Cedar Fair’s own Castaway Bay waterpark resort as well as the giant Kalahari and Great Wolf Lodge resorts along with the smaller Maui Sands and Rain Water Park resorts also in town.

I hope I’m wrong, as it is never good to see a park close down, so just consider this a fair warning that the issue may be under review at the corporate level. Visit and show your support for this park… despite the fact that I can’t remember the last time that it ever opened a new slide.

From Screamscape if you don't read it.

I think WildWater Kingdom (AKA Geauga Lake's water park) is finally done for. I think they will close the park and relocate the rides like they did with the ride side. I wouldn't be surprised if we got "Thunder Falls" as a re-conditioned ride, plus some general improvements throughout the water park.

Cedar Fair should take a stab at Wildwater Kingdom and try to add a new slide complex next year to try to make more people come.

Cedar Fair should take a stab at Wildwater Kingdom and try to add a new slide complex next year to try to make more people come.

I don't really care if Cedar Fair closes Geauga Lake/Wildwater Kingdom and relocates and/or sell the slides from there!

I went to Kings Dominion today and I was about to ride the Intiminator 305 and didn't ride because it was stuck on the hill. I also saw the Rebel Yell stuck at some point today but it wasn't stuck long, I looked again a couple minutes later and it was working fine again. Other than that I had a great day at Kings Dominion. The park was crowded for Kingsfest, but the actual rides were not that crowded, because most people were watching the bands play. I rode the Grizzly and it was a walk on, but they had both trains running. Always better with two trains, even when there's no line. The Volcano was the only ride with a huge line. However, the Winseeker is still down.

I find some compelling evidence KD is getting a new roller coaster next year:

1. Hypersonic station is still standing, and can easily be converted.

2. "Centurion" trademark still out there, and obviously "Fury 325:

" is for Carowinds

3. KD has never gotten a new B&M coaster

4. KD tends to follow KI and vice-versa, which would point to a B&M Invert.

5. "Centurion" could have a double meaning relating to the park's 40th Anniversary.

6. They spent relatively nothing this year on the 40th celebration except for the fountains and changing Volcano's station (total cost: about $1 million). KD is known for spending nothing one year, then splurging the next on a big coaster.

7. Hurler and/or Grizzly are on the chopping block - this is not a secret by any means. Removing one or both would easily clear up room for a GCI woodie, B&M invert, or possibly a Wing Rider (though not likely).

8. One day recently, while riding the Grizzly, I spotted some red track in storage, and it did not appear to be track for the Intimidator. It was B&M track. This is the biggest news yet!

So in conclusion...

Be on the lookout and please let me know about any conferences or details about developments on the new roller coaster next year. I live 5 miles from the park and cannot wait for a new coaster. ☺

*EDIT*:

I found a Google Earth picture to share of the track and supports:

Again:

THIS IS NOT INTIMIDATOR TRACK.

THIS IS B&M TRACK.

^I think you're mistaken. I've been back there during media days, and I'm quite sure that's the leftover Intimidator 305 track from when they reprofiled the ride.

I spent last weekend at KD and had an absolute blast. The park was dead all day and night Friday, Saturday crowds didn't pick up until 6-7pm. Longest lines were the log flume at ~15-20 minutes, and volcano was much longer as always. Got Volcano out of the way both mornings and everything else was pretty much a walk on most of the day. Until Saturday night i305 was never more than a 3 train wait.

FoF beat the hell out of us this year. Which is really disappointing, we had a lot of enjoyable rides on it when we visited last fall.

We got on Grizzly after a heavy rain on Saturday... and we stayed on it. Did at least 15 runs on it before getting off. Not sure if it was the wet track that did it, but it was running great. That airtime into the tunnel Hated it last year... Maybe I should have given shockwave another chance

I love this park. The atmosphere is just so great and the coasters are excellent, the food is great too. I hope I can make it back later this year. The 5 hour drive makes it difficult, but it still beats a 1.5 hour trip to carowinds.

Thanks, sorry about the mistake. However, would you agree with my other points?

I don't discount the possibility, but speculation isn't really my game.

If Kings Dominion recieved Intiminator 305, a giga coaster, in 2010, while Carowinds recieved Intiminator, a B&M hyper coaster the same year wouldn't it make sence if Carowinds recieved Fury 325, a giga coaster, while Kings Dominion recieves Fury, a B&M hyper coaster for 2015? (Just a possibility, I really have no idea at all)

If Kings Dominion recieved Intiminator 305, a giga coaster, in 2010, while Carowinds recieved Intiminator, a B&M hyper coaster the same year wouldn't it make sence if Carowinds recieved Fury 325, a giga coaster, while Kings Dominion recieves Fury, a B&M hyper coaster for 2015? (Just a possibility, I really have no idea at all)

Since KD was not listed as a park with "Growth potential," I see a waterpark refresh with new slides, new paint and probably a rename.