TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^^

If you're not a first timer at the park WaterWorks is a nice mid-day break during the summer when it's hot as long as it's not Saturday. Often on Saturdays WaterWorks is the most crowded section of the park. It's nothing too special, but if you like water parks, it has a few good slides and gives you quite a different perspective/views of the park.

^

The slides Carowinds got this season seem like a good substitute to KD's Tornado slide. I personally think something like a Mat-Racer slide would be better and be a hit with the public.

^^

If you're not a first timer at the park WaterWorks is a nice mid-day break during the summer when it's hot as long as it's not Saturday. Often on Saturdays WaterWorks is the most crowded section of the park. It's nothing too special, but if you like water parks, it has a few good slides and gives you quite a different perspective/views of the park.

^

The slides Carowinds got this season seem like a good substitute to KD's Tornado slide. I personally think something like a Mat-Racer slide would be better and be a hit with the public.

SFAm just added mat slides last year but yeah. They also could use some Bowl slides and major attractions. Waterworks and Boomerang Bay, CA seem to me to be the weaker waterparks in the CF Chain cause they haven't gotten attention since 2007. I also see Waterworks becoming a Soak City as well next year.

I'd love to see the same makeover done to Waterworks that was done to Soak City at KI. Throw in some bonzai pipelines, a wave or bowl slide, and a mat slide and you've got a pretty solid water park!

Now, I'm not expecting them to add all that. Just wishful thinking. However, that being said, those in my opinion are the most likely slide options that could be added.

Anyone else buy the limited edition collector pin set? I was reluctant to do it but since only 40 complete framed sets were made I went ahead and got one. Not sure which number out of 40 I got yet because we arent visiting again until Sunday. Also the limited buttons for riding the carousel horse and the poster.

^I agree. It's never a good sign.

Coasters that it helps to know some tricks to ride is so common, however, that it cannot be ignored. It could even be argued that's all of them, although certainly some more than others. On PTC-trained woodies, that's mostly "don't sit in the wheel seat." You could say such flawed rides can never be considered truly great, but it doesn't mean they can't be great for you.

I'm not sure it really affects Shockwave though. That one's more just can you handle it, and the restraints, or not, except for needing to use the headrest right coming out of the helix. Unlike many coasters with some roughness, I think most of Shockwave's is by design. It's too overbuilt to have changed much with age. You're standing up and it uses, in a calculated way, simplistic track geometries to make it feel like you're going to be thrown off.

BTW, I rode Hurler. Front row was somewhat fun. Fortunately and unfortunately they've made progress towards it becoming a mild family ride. No I'm not trying a wheel seat, but otherwise it's quite smooth. My problem with it is I preferred the fire-breathing monster it was before the trim brake. Everyone complained about it and unfortunately, the park listened.

^I agree. It's never a good sign.

I'm not sure it really affects Shockwave though. That one's more just can you handle it, and the restraints, or not, except for needing to use the headrest right coming out of the helix. Unlike many coasters with some roughness, I think most of Shockwave's is by design. It's too overbuilt to have changed much with age. You're standing up and it uses, in a calculated way, simplistic track geometries to make it feel like you're going to be thrown off.

I'm not so sure that it is by design, though. SkyRider at Canada's Wonderland is nearly a twin to Shockwave, but when I rode it a couple years back, it was so much smoother that it was an entirely different ride, despite that it's the older of the two. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, whether it's just maintenance or something actually constructed differently, but Shockwave is just so much more painful.

Okay, here's my take on what can happen coming next season.

As for the possibility of putting a second ride inside Volcano, I would be all for it, but only if they could make it work. Then again, that's why all the engineers have college degrees so they could take a difficult problem and work it out. I can see either a flat ride or a small family inverted ride ( Why not, Kings Island and Carowinds have one, so why not Kings Dominion?).

Waterworks could use another water attraction or two. My vote would be for a water coaster because they are AWESOME!!!

Other additions the park could use would include adding an overhead waterfall for White Water Canyon and fixing the last waterfall effect when the raft comes out of the log mill. Also, the Crypts fire and water effects needs fixing.

kINGS dOMINION - BETCHA YOU CAN'T DO IT ALL!!!

I was at the park today so i'll just give a brief recap of what went on. Short lines since many were in school, and so it was easy to get rides on everything. Two things jumped out to me from this visit: the first is that the singing mushroom intervals in between singing has been shortened from 20 minutes to now 15 minutes. So show times are now at the hour, :15, :30, and :45. So that's now 4 shows an hour instead of 3. Ive posted the photo of the new sign, where you can see that theyve covered up the 20 with a 15. That makes me happy. The other thing was that I spent a couple of hours out the waterpark and many of the slides and attractions rides weren't open. It was frustrating, as I wanted to ride many of them, and they weren't open! This park absolutely needs a water park expansion. That's another thing that stood out to me. After all the time of not visiting the water park, coming back to it made me look at it in a different pov. Yeah...it needs an upgrade.

image.thumb.jpg.fa74d4a3ce64f19be4e026b07058f5e4.jpg

Edited by CPSFMMCW

I was at the park today so i'll just give a brief recap of what went on. Short lines since many were in school, and so it was easy to get rides on everything. Two things jumped out to me from this visit: the first is that the singing mushroom intervals in between singing has been shortened from 20 minutes to now 15 minutes. So show times are now at the hour, :15, :30, and :45. So that's now 4 shows an hour instead of 3. Ive posted the photo of the new sign, where you can see that theyve covered up the 20 with a 15. That makes me happy. The other thing was that if i'm correct, this was the first day the water park was open. Spent a couple of hours there and many of the water rides werent open. It was frustrating, as I wanted to ride many of them, and they weren't open! This park absolutely needs a water park expansion. That's another thing that stood out to me. After all the time of not visiting the water park, coming back to it made me look at it in a different pov. Yeah...it needs an upgrade.

meh, not a fan of water. i feel like it never should have been built in the first place. KD doesn't have the resources to maintain a full theme park AND a good water park. i wish they'd have stayed focused.

WaterWorks opened up 2 weeks ago on May 24th. Some of the attractions were probably closed yesterday due to low attendance and limited staff (lifeguards still in school).

For anyone in the area, tomorrow the park is doing a variety of special things (free buttons, shows, ect.) for their 40th day being opened this season along with having some special 40th merchandise (including an awesome poster). I wish I could make it for the buttons and posters tomorrow. Check out their Facebook page for more information.

Since we haven't seen a water coaster at a Cedar Fair park as of right now, I'm doubting that, but it certaintly would be awesome! And there's a first time for everything! I just don't want the expansion to be just one attraction. I'm fine if its one complex, as long as theres multiple water ride types in that complex.

Went to the park last Saturday, making this my fourth time this season. Now for some thoughts -

- As for White Water Canyon, they do have an overhead waterfall ( although it's more of a water flying out falls, but it gets everybody soaked ), but they still need to bring back the waterfall in the log mill.

- They had all the waterslides except the funnel running. As for the four slides at the Splash House, they need to speed up the sliders because it takes them too long in between sliders.

- If they do put in a water coaster, the area between the funnel and the Baja Curls would be ideal.

- I noticed they changed the lights for Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular. No more lights wrapped around the trees.

- Next Saturday, the KD40 Celebration Show is set to perform in the Kings Dominion Theater, and the next Saturday after that will be the Wheels Stunt Show.

kINGS dOMINION - BETCHA YOU CAN'T DO IT ALL!!!

^ My group were all a bit disappointed in White Water Canyon AND Roman Rapids this year. I would imagine that when it's 90+ degrees and humid that a lot of people waiting a long time in line would rather come out soaked or at least with a wet shirt to cool them off a bit.

We had a whole raft on WWC and only two of us got a little splashing on the back and on our sides...the others barely got a tiny splash. Not that I want an entire gushing waterfall dumping on me, but even bringing back the geysers and the waterfall at the end of the tunnel would be nice. Those little things always excite the riders too.

I rode WWC this past Friday and everyonce on our raft got soaked. But we dry in like 20 min or less. It felt good! And something tells me that if a water coaster happened, it would be somewhere in the area behind rebel yell. But I doubt it will happen.

Just went to the park today for the first time since 2011. The last time I went, the day before I got rear-ended and so wasn't feeling physically 100% then. But after going on I305 while able-bodied, I think it's now my favorite steel coaster. Oh my goodness that ride is wonderful, but I'm sure you all know that.

Just went to the park today for the first time since 2011. The last time I went, the day before I got rear-ended and so wasn't feeling physically 100% then. But after going on I305 while able-bodied, I think it's now my favorite steel coaster. Oh my goodness that ride is wonderful, but I'm sure you all know that.

indeed we do! it virtually defines the word "intense". it's on a whole other level than most coasters in that department.

I've never been crazy about coasters that you have to "know how to ride."

Shockwave really isn't that bad though. The only real pain I experience is some leg strain in the helix.

Also, did they do work on Hurler? I rode it today and it wasn't NEARLY as brutal as it was last year, it was actually quite fun! Grizzly is a little rougher though...

I finally made it to the park today to process my Platinum Pass.

Light crowds today. As I'm going on Sunday with some friends I only rode Dominator, Volcano, and I305. Nice, quick visit although Dominator seems to have gotten a little rougher these days.