TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

The Rebel Yell is just so graceful looking......planning on going Sunday......nice weather. What should I expect for the crowds??? I have 2 kids so there will be no need for running to any particular ride first. Just going to enjoy ourselves and let them have a good time. BTW, this will be my first time back since 305, so basically for me it is just for this, but the kids have never been.

The Rebel Yell is just so graceful looking......planning on going Sunday......nice weather. What should I expect for the crowds??? I have 2 kids so there will be no need for running to any particular ride first. Just going to enjoy ourselves and let them have a good time. BTW, this will be my first time back since 305, so basically for me it is just for this, but the kids have never been.

Not too bad I'd wager. Early season sundays are great.

KDGY FACT: Built in 1988, Avalanche is still the only ride of its type ever constructed in North America. Here's a photo taken on media day (March 1988) when the ride had 4, 6 car trains and each train was a specific Country. The trains were changed later in the year to have 7 cars along with multiple countries per train. (the France car was then added too)

1380793_311757018965056_883541093_n.thumb.jpg.303939bb1b4d1d3d36edc96282d0c11b.jpg

Looks like I'm making my second ever trip down to KD tomorrow... anyone that's been already or can answer, how should crowds be Wednesday, during Spring Break Week? I went last year the same time and the longest I waited was an hour for Volcano around 11. Any other tips would would be appreciated!

Was down Sunday and boy was it HOT!!!! Crowds weren't bad and all in all was a pretty decent day for a start to the season. Volcano had a rollback on one of the first rides of the day, it actually hung on the loop for what seemed like a minute or so. I thought for sure it was perfectly stalled out. Shockwave was late opening and Anaconda never opened at all.

This was our first time back since 305(last time was construction year) so I got to experience something I have never felt before......grey out!!! Quite frankly it scared the shit outta me......I missed half the ride..LOL. What I need to know is...why does Volcano and FOF have horrendous lines while all 305 trains were half or less full all day??

Also, we took the kids for the first time, one is 7 and one is 12. Spent a lot of time in the Snoopy section and got to relive some childhood memories....like just how awesome the Scooby Doo/ Woodstock Express is! The 12 year old is becoming a seasoned vet, but the 7 year old .....well it is a slow process....let's just say she wasn't a big fan of the Rebel Yell.

Speaking of Rebel Yell....why did they not paint the whole thing....if I am not mistaken, the red and blue trim is only on the station run to lift hill???? Everything else from the 40th looks really good.

On a side note, can they possibly price gouge any more with food and drink....I could've bought everything on the menu at DQ for what I paid for 4 cups of Sweet Frog ice cream...SMH.

Wow, I never really realized that Avalanche was the only bobsled coaster around.

Not the only one, just the only Mack one in the US. There are/were others from Intamin. Think Great Escape (forgot the name, is it Lake Placid Bobsled?), La Vibora (SFOT), Disaster Transport (CP, RIP), and more. These all are/were Intamin rides.

Wind seeker was closed today, had a crane in the morning and was testing in the afternoon. Got about 6 or 8 rides on I-305 today, and man I greed out every time, some times much more so than others. Did the 2011 repairs to the track configuration make these occurrences less frequent to any of you guys? I never rode it in 2010 before or with the trims.

The #1 strategy for avoiding excessive grey outs is to drink a bunch of water. Hydration!

To answer your question, All 3 major configurations produced grey outs. It's maybe a tiny bit less strong/shorter duration than opening day.

Wind seeker was closed today, had a crane in the morning and was testing in the afternoon. Got about 6 or 8 rides on I-305 today, and man I greed out every time, some times much more so than others. Did the 2011 repairs to the track configuration make these occurrences less frequent to any of you guys? I never rode it in 2010 before or with the trims.

The track configurations weren't meant to make black/gray-outs less frequent, but to keep the wheels on the trains from practically melting, rather.

I've ridden I-305 with trims and with the track configurations MANY times and I've never grayed or blacked out. I get scared that it will happen to me every time I go down the first drop though