TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I think griffon is great, and Apollo's Chariot is mediocre. The former has much stronger airtime. Having said that, I305 blows both of them completely out of the water. Busch gardens is a great place, a better park in almost every way, but I305 is undoubtedly (IMO) the best coaster for hundreds of miles around. Drop tower deserves a mention too, excellent ride.

Busch for the overall experience. KD for I:305.

I'm really torn because I've always wanted to ride a B&M dive coaster but I really want to ride I305 as well. Does Griffon live up to the hype?

Griffon is unique due to the diving first drop, but IMO I305's drop is more intense/exciting. Also I305 is arguably the best roller coaster in the world, and BGW has multiple above average coasters.

I'm really torn because I've always wanted to ride a B&M dive coaster but I really want to ride I305 as well. Does Griffon live up to the hype?

Griffon is unique due to the diving first drop, but IMO I305's drop is more intense/exciting. Also I305 is arguably the best roller coaster in the world, and BGW has multiple above average coasters.

Really is it that good? I may just have to go to KD.

- Apollo is arguably the best coaster at BGW. It's long, has nice air, and a fireworks ride at night is unforgettable on that thing.

- Alpengeist is a great ride. It's not as smooth as some B&M's but it still delivers.

- Verbolten is a great family coaster. The crowds tend to eat it up like candy. It's got a cool gimmick and it's pretty forceful. Don't ride expecting something extreme like Maverick though.

- Loch Ness is a classic, but that's about it. Other than the setting, nothing really stands out about this ride.

- Griffon is meh. The 90 degree drop is a cool gimmick, but when you've got enough coasters that can go past that, the gimmick loses its luster. It's pretty tame compared to the other two B&Ms.

Other than the coasters, there's plenty of shows and animal exhibits to check out, plus a few water rides and Darkastle. Nothing else really stands out.

KD has plenty of other coasters/rides if you're into that kind of stuff. Plus the park is really pulling out the stops for the 40th.

Are you really stuck with only one option? Both parks are great in their own right. If you're visiting DC, KD is about halfway between your home base and Williamsburg. If you're into history or beaches, there's plenty of that around the Williamsburg area.

I don't like comparing the two parks, but I choose KD over BGW. i305 is phenomenal and is not to be missed. Its my current #1. Apollo's is my current #2 steel, #3 overall. You really should just go to both. They both have things that the other park doesn't have.

Current top 5 fav's at each park, in order:

BGW: Apollo's, Griffon, Verbolten, Alpengeist, Loch Ness

KD: i305, Volcano, Rebel Yell, (Singing Mushrooms), Dominator, Flight of Fear

Really is it that good? I may just have to go to KD.

nothing at BGW comes anywhere near i305's intensity. not even the same ballpark.

but having said that, Apollo's Chariot, Alpengeist, Verbolten, Loch Ness Monster, and Griffon are all great rides. KD has more coasters, and it has the best coaster, but BG has more *great* coasters than KD. does that make sense?

nothing at BGW comes anywhere near i305's intensity. not even the same ballpark.

Alpengeist's cobra roll would like to have a word with you.

Griffon, Alepengeist, Apollos Chariot & Verbolten.... all excellent attractions.

Does verbolten have a lot of forces? Does it come close to Maverick at all even though it lacks inversions?

No... but it's a great ride. I was under the impression that this was more of a family coaster but after riding it I think it's far too intense to be a family coaster. It's not in the same league as Maverick but it's really good.

*Still not as good as Big Bad Wolf was though

The indoor "Black Forest" portion of Verbolten is fun, with some surprising pops of airtime.

As others have said, KD's I305 is one of the best coasters in the world, and Volcano and Dominator are both good (although the latter was a bit rough last weekend).

Edited by cfc

Granted, I have not ridden Verbotlon yet. My favorite coaster at BG is Loch Ness Monster. I find Apollo's Chariot and Griffin boring. Alpengeist is fun but nothing spectacular to me.

Now KD I like every coaster - even Hurler. Plus I prefer the flats at KD - they have more thrilling ones in my opinion.

As you can see its all a matter of opinion. Just go and have fun at both.

Tough choice. Kings Dominion has a great line up including i305, and Volcano which are two must-ride roller coasters . But BGW is also a beautiful park that you can't miss.

As others have said, KD's I305 is one of the best coasters in the world, and Volcano and Dominator are both good (although the latter was a bit rough last weekend).

I've noticed that Dominator has a pretty bad rattle in the front row which had my head vibrating like crazy. The back row is fine, however.

You should be riding Dominator in the back row anyway. I think it's the most forceful floorless coaster there is when you ride it in the back row.

I realize that being the most forceful floorless coaster is like being most ferocious bunny rabbit, but it has a nice whipping action down the first drop.

In the past, I'd found Dominator's back row to be the worst place to ride it. I rode in the third row last Sunday, and it gave me a nice shot to the head on the loop.

Rebel Yell has always been superior to me than Dominator. Dominator is rough in the last half of the ride. Flight of fear is good. But volcano and i305 cant be missed. Verbolten is intense in the black forest section. Griffon is a bit over hyped. Its a one trick pony. Curse of Dark Kastle is really awesome. Apollos is great. Frankly you should just go to both parks. they're both great.

^No argument over visiting both parks.

Rebel Yell is fun if you remember to stay off the wheel seat. Sit in the middle seat of any of the cars, and your spine will be grateful.

Kind of wish KD had done to Rebel Yell what Carowinds did to Thunder Road, as it's changed Thunder Road from one of the worst coasters at Carowinds to one of the best. (Rebuilding each year another section of track until it's basically all new with the same exact design.) It even gave me some great airtime last year.

I wouldn't say Rebel Yell was anywhere close to needing virtually a complete rebuild. That ride was just pure traditional wooden coaster fun, and didn't seem rough at all. Both Rebel Yell and Grizzly are two unsung heroes at Kings Dominion, as they are both incredibly solid coasters that seem to take way too far of a backseat in terms of notoriety and popularity.

You should be riding Dominator in the back row anyway. I think it's the most forceful floorless coaster there is when you ride it in the back row.

I realize that being the most forceful floorless coaster is like being most ferocious bunny rabbit, but it has a nice whipping action down the first drop.

Back row all the way! That is my favorite place to sit on Dominator.

I wouldn't say Rebel Yell was anywhere close to needing virtually a complete rebuild. That ride was just pure traditional wooden coaster fun, and didn't seem rough at all. Both Rebel Yell and Grizzly are two unsung heroes at Kings Dominion, as they are both incredibly solid coasters that seem to take way too far of a backseat in terms of notoriety and popularity.

I've been riding the ride for 21 years. It was rough. I've never had a problem with Grizzly. Grizzly's roughness is mainly due to lateral forces, which I like. Rebel Yell some years has had the washboard effect, and I had back problems for 3 weeks after riding it one year.

Back row all the way! That is my favorite place to sit on Dominator.

I completely agree %100. Especially when the train goes through the first loop.

I've been riding the ride for 21 years. It was rough. I've never had a problem with Grizzly. Grizzly's roughness is mainly due to lateral forces, which I like. Rebel Yell some years has had the washboard effect, and I had back problems for 3 weeks after riding it one year.

I remember Grizzly being unbearably rough in 2008, notably on the turn after the tunnel. Over the years the ride has gotten a LOT better and ranks is one of my favorite wooden coasters. The night rides are even better imo.

Heres my thing about the small problem that rebel yell has with roughness. First of all, its not a lot. Second of all, its not as noticable because the airtime hills are so constant. You're not even in your seat during half of the hills. So thats why I prefer RY over dominator. Airtime > Inversions. And I simply like it more than Grizzly cuz it has more airtime!

In the past, I'd found Dominator's back row to be the worst place to ride it. I rode in the third row last Sunday, and it gave me a nice shot to the head on the loop.

There's a kink in the track heading in to the loop that's noticeable if you watch the train from off-ride. Not sure what happened there, maybe some damage during the move from Geauga, but it's something I've learned to really brace myself for.

Kind of wish KD had done to Rebel Yell what Carowinds did to Thunder Road, as it's changed Thunder Road from one of the worst coasters at Carowinds to one of the best. (Rebuilding each year another section of track until it's basically all new with the same exact design.) It even gave me some great airtime last year.

I don't know if it's the same level of work, but RY has been being retracked since 2009. In 2008 is was very rough, at the rise into the turnaround was like spinal roulette, you never knew how it would shake you. I stopped riding it for a while until I resolved to learn the exact timed foot push to help deal with it. In '09 that spot was stood out in its smoothness. Since then they have added more retracking, but some rough valleys on the return and some of the older retracking is getting rough again.

RE: BGW vs. KD, they each have their unique features and cannot substitute for one another. I find KD much better for going to often, having less I want to do at BGW makes me get tired of it sooner, and it really doesn't look that great either if you go too often. I strongly disagree they have more great coasters at BGW (although it was true for a short time). Doms vs. 'Geist, and Volcano vs. Griffon is pretty equal. I305 vs. Apollo is not, but they're both great. I personally find FoF kills Verbolten, Scooby plus Anaconda is a match for Loch Ness, and that leaves 3 major wood coasters, at least one of which is great, Shockwave, Avalanche, Rico, Taxi and Backlot, Vs. Grover ...

I do like Apollo a lot .. at night. It's a little underwhelming during the day. I actually think Dominator is a better coaster than Alpengeist as well, has some airtime. The invert is eerily quiet and has a smoother surface but the floorless has a much smoother cobra roll. They are both great seating arrangements, front row on the invert is ecstatic but it has about 10 inner seats that are awful.

It has been said the kink in Dominator's loop goes back to its Geauga Lake days.

I don't know if it's the same level of work, but RY has been being retracked since 2009. In 2008 is was very rough, at the rise into the turnaround was like spinal roulette, you never knew how it would shake you. I stopped riding it for a while until I resolved to learn the exact timed foot push to help deal with it. In '09 that spot was stood out in its smoothness. Since then they have added more retracking, but some rough valleys on the return and some of the older retracking is getting rough again.

Yeah, I noticed when I went last year that it didn't seem as rough as the last time I'd ridden it. (Which was 2010 I think.) I remember back in the mid-2000s it got really rough and that's when I stopped riding it for a while. It had gotten about as bad as Thunder Road was at that time.