TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

After the last 2 rides closed at the end of 1995 season, the park gutted the inside of the mountain leaving only the outer shell. It took them nearly a year and a half to complete this process. ("Smurf Mountain" closed at the end of the 1993 season; while the "Haunted River" and the "Time Shaft" closed at the end of the 1995 season.)

The demo process included removing all of the track and supports for "Smurf Mountain"; removing most, if not all, of the concrete river channel (inside the mountain), water reservoir, and final hill/drop for the "Haunted River"; the "Time Shaft" was removed and its entrance/exit tunnels eliminated. Not only were the ride removals were done; but, all the caverns/rooms/scenes that divided up the interior of the mountain for the "Haunted River" and "Smurf Mountain" were demolished. Again leaving only the shell , the outer "skin" of the mountain, intact.

During that time, the "Smurf Mountain" station had the track and ride controls removed, and the area where the track was located filled in/covered over with concrete. What was left, was just the outer shell of the station. The park may or may not have left the station queue rails in place; I don't remember. I would have to ride the "Avalanche" and look at the station area when heading up the lift hill.

Since the "Smurf Mountain" station was integrated into the side of the mountain, I assume the park decided to leave it as is. Maybe it would have cost too much to remove it and reconfigure that part of the mountain. Whether or not the on-going mountain renovation project ends up removing it in the future, is anyone's guess.

I really wonder why they chose to remove the old rides to build volcano. The coaster is great and all, it just seems odd to remove what sounds like an excellently themed area with several rides... and toss an ugly (sorry, but it's hard to argue with me) coaster on top of the mountain left behind. I guess in those days it just made sense to squeeze in a new coaster. Shame I wasn't able to experience it before the transformation.

I'm itching to get back to KD, I love what they did to spruce up the place.

Volcano is one of, if not the most popular ride in the park. Smurf Mountain was much less popular and probably required them to shell out a lot of money for the IP rights. It was also an IP that was losing popularity each year.

While Smurf Mountain looks like it was very cool, Volcano is a huge draw and has been for well over a decade.

I really wonder why they chose to remove the old rides to build volcano. The coaster is great and all, it just seems odd to remove what sounds like an excellently themed area with several rides... and toss an ugly (sorry, but it's hard to argue with me) coaster on top of the mountain left behind. I guess in those days it just made sense to squeeze in a new coaster. Shame I wasn't able to experience it before the transformation.

Such is why I hope KD continues with restoring the nostalgia... I think this new ride tech going into Wonder Mountain at CW would be a great fit for Volcano. I'm sure there is room to put a dark ride back into the mountain.

Volcano is one of, if not the most popular ride in the park. Smurf Mountain was much less popular and probably required them to shell out a lot of money for the IP rights. It was also an IP that was losing popularity each year.

While Smurf Mountain looks like it was very cool, Volcano is a huge draw and has been for well over a decade.

You're probably right about Smurf Mountain. The old Haunted River ride was fun, but pretty cheesy--the best part was the ridiculously steep drop at the end.

I really wonder why they chose to remove the old rides to build volcano. The coaster is great and all, it just seems odd to remove what sounds like an excellently themed area with several rides... and toss an ugly (sorry, but it's hard to argue with me)

100% disagree with that. i think Volcano is one of the most impressive coaster sights there is. when you walk up, you of course see that huge mountain, and a very nice entrance and sign, which frame that track coming out the top of the mountain and wrapping around -- honestly it looks more amazing than it actually is.

coaster on top of the mountain left behind. I guess in those days it just made sense to squeeze in a new coaster. Shame I wasn't able to experience it before the transformation.

time shaft was just a rotor with a big disco ball and loud music. nothing special. honestly the long, dark cave that made up the queue was the best part.

Smurf Mountain was a 2mph incredibly slow powered-train ride through a bunch of smurf dioramas. kinda cool i guess if you are a young child, but 0 out of 100 on a thrill or adult-amusement scale.

haunted river was really low budget and falling apart the last time i rode it. i mean we are not talking Disney-level effects here. the final drop was fun though.

that's really it ... Volcano may be just a single low capacity ride, but it's a pretty good coaster and it's not like it's replacing any superstar rides.

me too!!

100% disagree with that. i think Volcano is one of the most impressive coaster sights there is. when you walk up, you of course see that huge mountain, and a very nice entrance and sign, which frame that track coming out the top of the mountain and wrapping around -- honestly it looks more amazing than it actually is.

Totally agreed. People bash on Volcano's appearance but I think it's gorgeous!

^^ The answer depends on who you talk to.... you may have just opened a can of worms.

I prefer Kings Dominion simply because there are more rides. BG is a BEAUTIFUL park but I just do not think its really all that like a lot of people say. I prefer KD because of the amount of rides both coasters and flats plus they have a water park. The food is WAY better at BG though.

You go to KD for rides and BG for a over all great experience.

Edited by alilstronger

^ The answer depends on who you talk to.... you may have just opened a can of worms.

I prefer Kings Dominion simply because there are more rides. BG is a BEAUTIFUL park but I just do not think its really all that like a lot of people say. I prefer KD because of the amount of rides both coasters and flats plus they have a water park. The food is WAY better at BG though.

You go to KD for rides and BG for a over all great experience.

What other things are worth checking out at BG oppose to just the coasters?

I love both parks but slightly prefer Busch Gardens.

Kings Dominion has better coasters (though BGW has some very good ones too), but the atmosphere is much better at Busch Gardens. The park is beautiful, the atmosphere is great, the food is great and the non-coaster rides are much better than the ones at KD (though KD has a nice selection with rides like Windseeker and Drop Tower).

Edit: Griffon is a really fun coaster but it's not overly forceful compared to the older B&M's. I think Verbolten, Apollo's Chariot and Alpengeist are better than Griffon, but that doesn't mean I don't love Griffon because I do. Alpengeist and Apollo (in the back row) are the stars of this park when it comes to coasters.

Edit again: As far as non coaster rides worth checking out, you have to ride Escape from Pompei because the theming is awesome... Dark Kastle and Mach Tower are very good rides too. The flume looks fun but it was closed when we went a few weeks ago so I'm yet to ride it.

Edited by coasterbill

Busch for the overall experience. KD for I:305.

I'm really torn because I've always wanted to ride a B&M dive coaster but I really want to ride I305 as well. Does Griffon live up to the hype?

Not in my opinion. It's probably the least best adult-sized coaster at Busch Gardens.

I love both parks but slightly prefer Busch Gardens.

Kings Dominion has better coasters (though BGW has some very good ones too), but the atmosphere is much better at Busch Gardens. The park is beautiful, the atmosphere is great, the food is great and the non-coaster rides are much better than the ones at KD (though KD has a nice selection with rides like Windseeker and Drop Tower).

Edit: Griffon is a really fun coaster but it's not overly forceful compared to the older B&M's. I think Verbolten, Apollo's Chariot and Alpengeist are better than Griffon, but that doesn't mean I don't love Griffon because I do. Alpengeist and Apollo (in the back row) are the stars of this park when it comes to coasters.

Edit again: As far as non coaster rides worth checking out, you have to ride Escape from Pompei because the theming is awesome... Dark Kastle and Mach Tower are very good rides too. The flume looks fun but it was closed when we went a few weeks ago so I'm yet to ride it.

Would you rank the coasters in the order that you listed them?

Busch for the overall experience. KD for I:305.

I'm really torn because I've always wanted to ride a B&M dive coaster but I really want to ride I305 as well. Does Griffon live up to the hype?

My enthusiast friends that I went to the park with absolutely loved Griffon. I personally thought it was over hyped. It wasn't horrible by any means, but also not "OMFG that was amazing" either.

No, I would probably say

1) Alpengeist

2) Apollo's Chariot in the back row

3) Verbolten

4) Griffon

5) Loch Ness Monster (which is really good for an Arrow looper)

6) Apollo's Chariot in any other row

All of their coasters are very good. I think Alpengeist is incredibly underrated and put it behind only Raptor, Montu and Afterburn as my favorite invert in America. The cobra roll is nuts, especially in the back.

No, I would probably say

1) Alpengeist

2) Apollo's Chariot in the back row

3) Verbolten

4) Griffon

5) Loch Ness Monster (which is really good for an Arrow looper)

6) Apollo's Chariot in any other row

All of their coasters are very good. I think Alpengeist is incredibly underrated and put it behind only Raptor, Montu and Afterburn as my favorite invert in America. The cobra roll is nuts, especially in the back.

Does verbolten have a lot of forces? Does it come close to Maverick at all even though it lacks inversions?