TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

The singing mushrooms look great. I love the direction Cedar Fair is heading lately. For a long time they were ripping the charm and individuality out of their parks and they're finally doing something to pay homage to the unique history of some of their parks.

I wish Kings Island would have done this.

I agree 110%. Kings Island got screwed out of their 40th. A new wave pool and yet another water park rebranding seems lame compared to what KD is doing.

BTW, the singing mushrooms look great and sound awesome.

I wish Kings Island would have done this.

I agree 110%. Kings Island got screwed out of their 40th. A new wave pool and yet another water park rebranding seems lame compared to what KD is doing.

BTW, the singing mushrooms look great and sound awesome.

They have a chance to redeem themselves on their 45th, which will be 2017.

Also, seeing the new red white and blue paint on Rebel Yell makes me so happy!! Kings Island, pay attention!! The Racer needs help!

Holy Moly!!! Did they actually repaint the Rebel Yell to its original color scheme?

I was looking at the three photos from Kings Dominion Golden Years facebook page, and I thought it was some old photos of the Rebel Yell back when they had the original color scheme. But stop the presses, folks - methinks I see in one of the photos the metal arch of the Extreme Skycoaster and the base pole of the Windseeker, meaning to me that photo isn't old, but taken recently. I sure hope that's the case, because then that would be freakin' awesome!!!

So Kings Dominion repainted Rebel Yell and didn't inform us about it. Mewonders what other surprises await for us as we pass through those now-open doors for the 2014 season? Do you think they put in another ride and decided not to tell us? Well, that's wishful thinking, but like I said it before in an earlier post: if Kings Dominion repaints Rebel Yell back into its original color scheme, then I don't care if we get a new ride or not because Kings Dominion has restored the glory to that coaster once more. They also restore the singing mushrooms and the water wheel to the Log Flume, so that is TOO SWEET!!!

kINGS dOMINION - BETCHA YOU CAN'T DO IT ALL!!!

Holy Moly!!! Did they actually repaint the Rebel Yell to its original color scheme?

I was looking at the three photos from Kings Dominion Golden Years facebook page, and I thought it was some old photos of the Rebel Yell back when they had the original color scheme. But stop the presses, folks - methinks I see in one of the photos the metal arch of the Extreme Skycoaster and the base pole of the Windseeker, meaning to me that photo isn't old, but taken recently. I sure hope that's the case, because then that would be freakin' awesome!!!

Yes, its back to the original colors!

I took all the photo's this weekend, from the preview day.

..and here's the rest of the Trip Report. http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67581

KD did actual put a teaser up some months back about the original colors, and the chaser lights are also back!

10155124_386207448186679_678689415_n.thumb.jpg.727f8bae035e460b7947b8c6bbf4b058.jpg

Edited by KDGY75

I'm pleased about the return of the running lights on Rebel Yell. Those are a real plus to any coaster (except terrain coasters where a highlight of night riding is seeing as little light as possible). The new paint job is spiffy, too. I actually remember it looking pretty nice a couple years ago, way better than the sad plain brown of Thunder Road, but it's hard to beat a crisp red-white-and-blue color scheme.

If people needs to avoid crowded people, i'm predicting this weekend. Here it is from KD Fansite

http://kdfansite.com/2014/03/opening-day-dos-donts/

DO get to the park early! Avoid long lines and large crowds by arriving when the park opens rather than later in the day. The parking lot will open at 9:30am, while the park itself will open at 10am.

DON’T head to Dominator first. You will be tempted to do this because it’s the only roller coaster running at 10am. The problem is, everyone entering the park with you will be equally tempted and most will inevitably cave and go running for it. The best time to ride Dominator is in the evening. I prefer to save it for my last ride of the night before the park closes. The line is at its shortest by that time on Fridays and Saturdays.

DO start at the back of the park and work your way to the front. At least half of the crowd will be distracted by Dominator or the Peanuts gang, so take advantage! Cut through Planet Snoopy and head past the Chic-fil-a to the newly themed Candy Apple Grove. Make a left at the Singing Mushrooms and go straight into Safari Village (formerly Congo). From here you can either continue straight to Volcano, or veer right toward Anaconda, Intimidator 305 and Flight of Fear. The lines will be much shorter and you’ll have a better chance at getting multiple rides in before the rest of the crowd catches up.

DON’T forget Volcano has a new queue this season! The entrance is still in the same place, but once you reach the main part of the queue you need to go left, as the right ramp is now the ride exit. Once you head left, go down the newly constructed staircase which will end at the new loading platform. If you’re a frequent rider, you may notice it was formerly the exit platform. Instead of placing your bags on a rolling cart, you will now walk straight across to place them in the article bin.

DO remember to check out all the amazing 40th Anniversary additions as you make your way back toward the front of the park! Anaconda is sporting a much-needed fresh coat of paint, and its iconic spraying water effect by the tunnel is back in action. The Singing Mushrooms are located in Candy Apple Grove (formerly The Grove) across from Dodgem. There are giant candy apples lining the entire midway, and Triple Spin has been renamed to Bad Apple to better fit the theme. Rebel Yell is proudly showing off its original colors along with a new sign and a string of running lights that are bound to look amazing at night. The fully functional floral clock has returned as well, and can be found nestled between Shockwave, the Carousel and Country Kitchen. Kings Dominion’s timeline can be viewed on signs placed around the Eiffel Tower, and don’t forget to check out the refurbished shops along International Street!

DON’T spend more money than you need to on food, beverages and park merchandise. Thirsty? Purchase a souvenir sports bottle for just $9.99. Refills are free on the day of purchase, and 99 cents all season long. Hungry? Take advantage of two all new dining plans. Dine all day for $29.99, or enjoy a single meal deal for $13.99 (only available online). Want to stock up on 40th Anniversary merchandise? Flash your season pass at the register and enjoy a 10% discount! Don’t forget your pass discount can also be used on food and beverage purchases. Be sure to check out kingsdominion.com for more details and online deals.

DO enjoy your day at Kings Dominion and ride on!

If people needs to avoid crowded people, i'm predicting this weekend. Here it is from KD Fansite

http://kdfansite.com/2014/03/opening-day-dos-donts/

DO get to the park early! Avoid long lines and large crowds by arriving when the park opens rather than later in the day. The parking lot will open at 9:30am, while the park itself will open at 10am.

DON’T head to Dominator first. You will be tempted to do this because it’s the only roller coaster running at 10am. The problem is, everyone entering the park with you will be equally tempted and most will inevitably cave and go running for it. The best time to ride Dominator is in the evening. I prefer to save it for my last ride of the night before the park closes. The line is at its shortest by that time on Fridays and Saturdays.

DO start at the back of the park and work your way to the front. At least half of the crowd will be distracted by Dominator or the Peanuts gang, so take advantage! Cut through Planet Snoopy and head past the Chic-fil-a to the newly themed Candy Apple Grove. Make a left at the Singing Mushrooms and go straight into Safari Village (formerly Congo). From here you can either continue straight to Volcano, or veer right toward Anaconda, Intimidator 305 and Flight of Fear. The lines will be much shorter and you’ll have a better chance at getting multiple rides in before the rest of the crowd catches up.

DON’T forget Volcano has a new queue this season! The entrance is still in the same place, but once you reach the main part of the queue you need to go left, as the right ramp is now the ride exit. Once you head left, go down the newly constructed staircase which will end at the new loading platform. If you’re a frequent rider, you may notice it was formerly the exit platform. Instead of placing your bags on a rolling cart, you will now walk straight across to place them in the article bin.

DO remember to check out all the amazing 40th Anniversary additions as you make your way back toward the front of the park! Anaconda is sporting a much-needed fresh coat of paint, and its iconic spraying water effect by the tunnel is back in action. The Singing Mushrooms are located in Candy Apple Grove (formerly The Grove) across from Dodgem. There are giant candy apples lining the entire midway, and Triple Spin has been renamed to Bad Apple to better fit the theme. Rebel Yell is proudly showing off its original colors along with a new sign and a string of running lights that are bound to look amazing at night. The fully functional floral clock has returned as well, and can be found nestled between Shockwave, the Carousel and Country Kitchen. Kings Dominion’s timeline can be viewed on signs placed around the Eiffel Tower, and don’t forget to check out the refurbished shops along International Street!

DON’T spend more money than you need to on food, beverages and park merchandise. Thirsty? Purchase a souvenir sports bottle for just $9.99. Refills are free on the day of purchase, and 99 cents all season long. Hungry? Take advantage of two all new dining plans. Dine all day for $29.99, or enjoy a single meal deal for $13.99 (only available online). Want to stock up on 40th Anniversary merchandise? Flash your season pass at the register and enjoy a 10% discount! Don’t forget your pass discount can also be used on food and beverage purchases. Be sure to check out kingsdominion.com for more details and online deals.

DO enjoy your day at Kings Dominion and ride on!

Please Kings Dominion, stop it; you're starting to spoil us all with all these new improvements!!!

Or how about this response: Gee, I don't know if I can handle all this excitement.

Or maybe this response: OH YEAH!!!

For my response, I'll just go there on opening day and have a great time!

kINGS dOMINION - BETCHA YOU CAN'T DO IT ALL!!!

wait a minute on the KD website it says that the park opens at 10:30. The Kdfans says 10:00.

The only part open at 10 is international street including Dominator and Beserker. The remainder of the park opens at 10:30 or 10:20 if you are a gold or platinum passholder.

I would suggest taking your time on opening day ... about 24 hours to be exact.

The simple rule is figure out what other people do, and then do the opposite.