TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I think the next coaster will go where Hurler is. It's not just that it's the least popular coaster in the park currently, or the reasons that is so, but that it's the best location of the older coasters to build something else, quite large. I also don't think they'll expand the park to add a new coaster.

After the recent events concerning other coasters that were thought to be on the chopping block ( like the Anaconda and Shockwave), I might have to concur with bill_s that Hurler's days are numbered. Both Anaconda and Shockwave a fresh coat of paint, so it would be silly to remove them so soon.

Two things could happen to the Hurler: it could either get the RMC treatment or be demolished to make way to a new coaster/attraction. Or we all could be wrong and Kings Dominion decides to retrack the entire coaster. Whatever it is, something's gonna happen in 2015 and the speculations about it are gonna start now.

As for new improvements that are ongoing, Shenandoah Lumber Company ( log flume ride ) has been missing its water wheel for too long. Well, that's gonna change; the water wheel will coming back!

As for the rides in the returning Candy Apple Cove section, Triple Spin will now be called "Bad Apple". Bad Apple sounds like a good name for me. Mewonders if the Drop Zone will get a new name as well ( I'm thinking of the 'Green Apple Drop')?

kINGS dOMINION - BETCHA YOU CAN'T DO IT ALL!!!

Why can Carowinds complete major rehabs to their Hurler and still open it on time but Kings Dominion cannot? Same thing happened in 2010. Hurler at Carowinds was running on their opening day but at Kings Dominion it was closed the first several weeks.

Why can Carowinds complete major rehabs to their Hurler and still open it on time but Kings Dominion cannot? Same thing happened in 2010. Hurler at Carowinds was running on their opening day but at Kings Dominion it was closed the first several weeks.

Thank god for small favors.

I could see Hurler being on the way out too. When we were there for the Haunt I was shocked that this ride was scheduled to close at 6pm for absolutely no reason. They weren't using it's queue for a maze... it was just in a dark corner by itself with nobody over there. Does anyone know why they do this? Closing a coaster for no visible reason on the busiest days of the year seems strange to me.

I could see Hurler being on the way out too. When we were there for the Haunt I was shocked that this ride was scheduled to close at 6pm for absolutely no reason. They weren't using it's queue for a maze... it was just in a dark corner by itself with nobody over there. Does anyone know why they do this? Closing a coaster for no visible reason on the busiest days of the year seems strange to me.

Because of the haunt maze that sits in the middle of it.

The reason behind this is because of safety reasons. Club Blood is directly beside the far end of Hurler, and it's closed during the same hours of the maze operation.

I don't see why they would do matinance on it if it were to close and be removed by the end of the season. So what other coaster could be on the chopping block? Shockwave is too small. I doubt grizzly. Anaconda was just repainted. What could it be then?! With any luck, they'll just add a new coaster without removing one.

I know its a rough coaster but I actually like Hurler. I just sit near the front - the back I do not like too much. I could see them taking it out and putting in something else. They need to do something with that little corner of the park. Its only Riccochet and Hurler there and at times Riccochet has a longer line. In my opinion they could wipe out Hurler and the large food stand next to it (I rarely see lots of people eating there) and they could put something quite large in its place.

If you ask me they really need to work on their water park. They have some nice rides with Pipeline Peak but other than that they do not have much. And everything in their water park is so spread out. They need to do some sort of overhaul and add some interesting slides/attractions. Something like The Falls from Schlitterbahn would be awesome because it seems they have lots of space back there.

I actually like Hurler as well. I'd personally rather see Grizzly leave. But it won't. I'd rather see neither of them leave, really. And as for the water park comment, I agree. Heres what they need to do:

Coaster 2015

Water Park Expansion 2016 (bonzai pipelines style, bowl/wave slide)

New Flat ride 2017 (Preferably a MaXair or Screamin' Swing)

And as for the water park comment, I agree. Heres what they need to do:

Coaster 2015

Water Park Expansion 2016 (bonzai pipelines style, bowl/wave slide)

New Flat ride 2017 (Preferably a MaXair or Screamin' Swing)

Please, tell me more about all of these things parks need to in the future. Every major park topic I read lately has some far-fetched wish list of what you think the park should get.

Sorry to jump on you, but after awhile your speculations for all of these parks need calm down as neither you, me, or 99.9% of people on this site is qualified to tell a park what rides they should add in the future.

ok. Lets stop talking about 2015 then. Anyone got anything to talk about then? I got nothin.

Here's an idea. Let's talk about what's coming to KD this year, or anything that's already there. That sounds good.

So, back on topic, I can't say anything about Hurler since I've never been to KD, but from what other people have said, it seems like kind of painful ride.

ok. Lets stop talking about 2015 then. Anyone got anything to talk about then? I got nothin.

Here's an idea. Let's talk about what's coming to KD this year, or anything that's already there. That sounds good.

So, back on topic, I can't say anything about Hurler since I've never been to KD, but from what other people have said, it seems like kind of painful ride.

I rode it once, and from my experience, it wasn't HORRIBLE, but it certainly was one of the worse wooden coasters I've ridden. I think it is a worthy candidate of removal if need be.

It used to be great fun back in the 1990s. It only began to suck around 2004 or so. Especially that curve right after the first drop. The whole train would vibrate so bad throughout the course. Carowinds' copy has actually been worse. Putting the trim on the first drop helped with the spinal adjustments, but it completely nixed the only reason to ride the coaster. It had airtime before the brake was added. I remember back in the 90s, sometimes the airtime would leave bruises on your legs due to how forcefully you would pull up into your lap bar. I hope that if Carowinds' redo of the first curve and removal of the trim goes well, that they redo ours and remove our trim too. Either do that or get rid of it and build a new wooden coaster.

Thanks for sharing those. I had no idea Hurler's station used to look like that.

yeah, and in the line, on video monitors, Mike Myers as Wayne would give a spiel about buckling your seatbelt and keeping your arms in the train and whatnot.

a nice effort theming-wise, but i remember being extremely disappointed with the ride from day one. it was always crap, and has gotten worse and worse over the years. it was pretty much unridable by 2005 or so with the vibration. must admit i haven't ridden it since, but i didn't even like it when it was brand new.