TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

You know for being an "off-season", with all the improvements KD is doing for the first half of their 40th Anniversary, this is the most excited I've been for an upcoming season since 2010 with Intimidator 305! I'm also feeling a coaster for 2015, so this might only be the beginning!

Is there any good scuttle about what type of coaster and where in the park they would put the new one?

B&M Invert is my guess!

With Alpengeist getting rough (IMO), I actually wouldn't mind this. I also hope Cedar Fair takes notice of the lukewarm reception of the wing riders and bypasses one of these for KD.

I know KD isn't lacking in launch coasters, but I actually wouldn't mind something similar to Top Thrill Dragster as well.

Why does everyone think a lot of the other Cedar Fair parks are going to add inverts? This same thing happened when Gatekeeper was added at CP. And CW got a Giga. Just because Kings Island got Banshee doesn't mean every other park is. Just because A Giga was put in Canada's Wonderland doesn't mean any other park will.

Cedar Fairs CEO, even said he doesn't want every park to be the same. He wants them to be unique, and each one different. (Gatekeeper Media Day)

I honestly like the hurler and would've rather seen anaconda removed. In my opinion, it is by far a wors-er ride. But obviously they aren't gonna remove it now.

I think it's a pick 'em when it comes to choosing which awful KD coaster needs to go: Hurler, Shockwave, and Anaconda

Why does everyone think a lot of the other Cedar Fair parks are going to add inverts? This same thing happened when Gatekeeper was added at CP. And CW got a Giga. Just because Kings Island got Banshee doesn't mean every other park is. Just because A Giga was put in Canada's Wonderland doesn't mean any other park will.

Cedar Fairs CEO, even said he doesn't want every park to be the same. He wants them to be unique, and each one different. (Gatekeeper Media Day)

No one here "thinks" KD is getting one of those. We're speculating and given that Cedar Fair has installed similar types of rides in different parks around the same time, an inverted or wing rider doesn't seem off-base.

Morgan hypers at Dorney, VF, and WofF in the mid 90's

Xcelerator and Top Thrill 2002 and 2003

BM Inverts at Knotts and WofF in the mid-2000's

BM hypers at CW, KI, and Caro 2008-2010

Gigas at KD in 2010 and CW in 2012

Based on this, why wouldn't we speculate about similar types of rides being installed in different parks?

No one here "thinks" KD is getting one of those. We're speculating and given that Cedar Fair has installed similar types of rides in different parks around the same time, an inverted or wing rider doesn't seem off-base.

Based on this, why wouldn't we speculate about similar types of rides being installed in different parks?

I should have worded it better, Assume would be a good word. I'm just wondering.We shouldn't speculate it because we have a new CEO who said he wanted each park to be different and not all have the same attractions. Sorry if I was unclear.

I should have worded it better, Assume would be a good word. I'm just wondering.We shouldn't speculate it because we have a new CEO who said he wanted each park to be different and not all have the same attractions. Sorry if I was unclear.

No worries.

I always felt like Volcano was KD's answer to the BM invert (Alpengeist) so I don't think that's what KD will get. Although I'd prefer that over a wing rider.

ETA

I think most enthusiasts just try to make a correlation between what other parks in the same chain are getting and what are a certain park's needs.

I want a B&M hyper more than anything! Will it happen? EH. Could. I'd rather have a great GCI over an Invert. Unless its an insanely good invert. Ya know maybe they're getting the woodie, and thats why they chose not to remove anaconda, cuz you can't put a GCI over a lake. You can put a steel, but correct my if I'm wrong, not a wood. Actually I hope they don't remove any coaster for the new one.

Many Cedar Fair parks have been adding B&M's over Intamins lately, and with I-305 issues last season and in 2010, I think it's very likely that KD will get a B&M for their next coaster. They could do the opposite of what CW did and get a B&M hyper...

Edit: Oops! Meant I-305. 8-305 would be a VERY tall coaster.

Edited by Password121

I still say get rid of Shockwave and everything in the old Nickelodeon area, heck just move the glider ride to the rest of the kid area or elsewhere so we can keep one of the few flats we have. That would leave quite a footprint to put a coaster on. I was thinking a compact wing-rider like X-Flight at SFGAm (the only one of those I truly loved). Design it right and they can even leave up the old Green Slime Bowl. I guess if they needed to they could have part of the coaster over the Blue Ridge Tollway across what used to be called Shady Grove (the road behind the Eiffel Tower). However, I'd rather leave that area with lots of trees and it's rustic quality.

^^I don't know... Leviathan was added after behemoth so both of them were "big things". Given that KD already has a giga and even though we know a B&M hyper would be very different from I-305 most people would think they were the same with the difference that the new one would be smaller, which wouldn't make sense.

It would still be a very different ride. The two would be completely different experiences. One is speed and height, one is airtime. Whether it be that or not, I would like to see another B&M at the park, considering Dominator is getting rough. Lets get a good B&M!

^I'm not saying it shouldn't get one, but just that, for most people (at least before they rode it) it would look similar: relatively tall, steep drop, no inversions,...

Also, if they did get one, I would like to see the old trains and not these new V configuration ones. I get the impression that they only went for the old ones on leviathan so that it would look more different than behemoth, but I might very well be wrong.

I was kind of kidding with the B&M hyper thing, getting a smaller "speed" coaster would seem almost counter intuitive to most GP. Most enthusiasts would probably love it, considering KD doesn't have a true airtime coaster, but enthusiasts alone wouldn't make them decide what type of coaster to invest in, unfortunately

But my point is the same, B&M, at this point, provided that we haven't hear any backed rumors, looks like the most likely manufacturer due to CF's recent additions (Leviathan, GateKeeper, Banshee).

...I would like to see another B&M at the park, considering Dominator is getting rough. Lets get a good B&M!

Dominator is FAR better than some of the other B&Ms that I've been on.

With that being said, I really hope the next big coaster ends up being a GCI since KD lacks a good modern day wooden coaster.

It would still be a very different ride. The two would be completely different experiences. One is speed and height, one is airtime. Whether it be that or not, I would like to see another B&M at the park, considering Dominator is getting rough. Lets get a good B&M!

Erm, I305 has way more airtime than a B&M hyper would. The other poster is right, it's a ride that can't be promoted.

It's hard to think of a very marketable coaster for KD. I think a wingrider, a launcher with some kind of gimmick, RMC looper (most inversions would sell), or novelty coaster like a zacspin would do. No clue where another coaster would go though, KD is kind of boxed in with coasters at every angle.

A GCI would be cool, but a fifth (sixth?) woodie at the park is dubious. I'd really like to see a big premier project, something like full throttle would fit in really well.

...I would like to see another B&M at the park, considering Dominator is getting rough. Lets get a good B&M!

Dominator is FAR better than some of the other B&Ms that I've been on.

With that being said, I really hope the next big coaster ends up being a GCI since KD lacks a good modern day wooden coaster.

Funny, out of all the B&M's I've ridden, its one of my least fav's(along with Apocalypse)

A GCI would be nice. I just thought that since they already got 4 woodies, it should be a steel. They could get rid of one though, which they might have to...

I want a B&M hyper more than anything! Will it happen? EH. Could. I'd rather have a great GCI over an Invert. Unless its an insanely good invert. Ya know maybe they're getting the woodie, and thats why they chose not to remove anaconda, cuz you can't put a GCI over a lake. You can put a steel, but correct my if I'm wrong, not a wood. Actually I hope they don't remove any coaster for the new one.

Hmmm. Wood is over water. Blasphemy!

I think the next coaster will go where Hurler is. It's not just that it's the least popular coaster in the park currently, or the reasons that is so, but that it's the best location of the older coasters to build something else, quite large. I also don't think they'll expand the park to add a new coaster. They could have done something different with I305 if they wanted to put something else over there, instead it seems to define a sort of rectangular park border. Plus there's already a lot of coasters in and off the Congo area and they are on record as saying it's not cost-effective to put in another bathroom over there. The walking in the park is about max. for having no supplemental transportation, and this is a park that never had any useful in-park transpo or even a tram system type parking lot.

Regarding B&M airtime, I305's ejector air is crazy fun but floater air is different and actually makes me tense up more. However, while there's no concentration of floater air like a B&M hyper, there's plenty or airtime distributed through the park.