TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Throwback Thursday & On the 7th day of Christmas, ‪#‎KD40‬ gave to me: A Walk of Memories from the 70’s to the 2000’s around the Eiffel Tower. Travel back in time and learn about the rich history of Kings Dominion with our Walk of Memories boards that will be located around the Eiffel Tower.

What ride do you hope is pictured in our Walk of Memories?

1454544_10151768437061875_605067352_n.jpg

Friday's little announcement.

On the 8th day of Christmas, ‪#‎KD40‬ gave to me: A 40th Celebration Merchandise Store! From retro items to t-shirts to coffee mugs, you’ll find all things KD40th in the Starlight Gift Shop, located on International Street near the main gate.

King's Dominion just announced some improvements for Volcano.

On the 10th day of Christmas, ‪#‎KD40‬ gave to me: Improvements to Volcano - The Blast Coaster. In 2014, guests will experience improved and enhanced entrance and exit lines resulting in more riders per hour who will be able to experience this signature park attraction. We will also begin a multi-year project to restore the look of Kings Dominion’s iconic mountain, which will include concrete replacement and fresh paint.

575783_10151773911111875_1083633848_n.jpg

We will also begin a multi-year project to restore the look of Kings Dominion’s iconic mountain, which will include concrete replacement and fresh paint.

Too bad it can't include the 4 original rides.

We will also begin a multi-year project to restore the look of Kings Dominion’s iconic mountain, which will include concrete replacement and fresh paint.

Too bad it can't include the 4 original rides.

It would be nice.

But, to do what Kings Dominion did for between 22-24 million dollars back then [1977-1979], would probably cost 115-125 million dollars today. I just don't think Cedar Fair has that amount of money laying around to spend on one park.

I am crossing my fingers in hope of a slim chance of the park getting the return of a former flat ride in 2014. But, I am not holding my breath on that either.

On the 10th day of Christmas, ‪#‎KD40‬ gave to me: Improvements to Volcano - The Blast Coaster. In 2014, guests will experience improved and enhanced entrance and exit lines resulting in more riders per hour who will be able to experience this signature park attraction. We will also begin a multi-year project to restore the look of Kings Dominion’s iconic mountain, which will include concrete replacement and fresh paint.

For those who visit theme parks from across the country to the ends of the world; has anyone experienced improved capacity and wait times for a popular ride by just reconfiguring the queue lines?

For some reason, I thought an extra coaster train or dual load/unload areas improve capacity. I know the current volcano station load area can get a bottleneck due to the narrow entrance path on the station floor. But, I have never seen the park dispatch half empty trains due to a lack of riders.

I personally wish Six Flags would have a year like this at some of their parks. But they are just focused on getting teens and tweens into the park. These announcements are going to attract a lot of older locals with fond memories of the park back to KD. Good for Kings Dominion and Cedar Fair.

I believe KD was discussing of having a 3rd train added to the track. Perhaps a revamp of the block system and brake areas to accomodate the 3rd train will be part of the rehab. Perhaps the exterior mountain and que updates will happen first then focus on the 3rd train update (perhaps year 2 of the multi-year upgrades).

I really think the 12 days of Christmas is a great way to introduce the upgrades for 2014. It's a lot better spreading out these small upgrades, than releasing them at one time. If they did all these announcements at one time, I think people would have been disappointed because they usually expect one big announcement.

I believe KD was discussing of having a 3rd train added to the track. Perhaps a revamp of the block system and brake areas to accomodate the 3rd train will be part of the rehab. Perhaps the exterior mountain and que updates will happen first then focus on the 3rd train update (perhaps year 2 of the multi-year upgrades).

Volcano did run with 3 trains in the past. I rode the ride when it had 3 train operations. So, it is already set up to run 3 trains. I am not sure what happened to the 3rd train. The rumors had it that the park ended up using the 3rd train for spare parts or they bought new trains to replace the original 3; but, only bought 2 new ones. I think the ride has been in a 2 train operation mode for a least the last 5-6 years out of its 15 year existence.

Nobody posted the ninth day's announcement so I guess I will:

On the 9th day of Christmas, #KD40 gave to me: The Return of the original Coca-Cola Pizza Parlor. Tower Pizza will be renovated and return to its original "Coca-Cola Pizza Parlor" - circa 1976. The restaurant interior will feature a whole new look and feel with more room inside to cool off during the dog days of summer and new limited time only pizza toppings.

988823_10151772097806875_329430813_n.jpg

And here are some of the items that will be sold at KD's 40th Celebration Store:

1533804_10151769867351875_1233492603_n.jpg

King Dominion Facebook wrote

On the 11th day of Christmas, ‪#‎KD40‬ gave to me: A fresh paint job for the Anaconda! During the off-season, we’ll be sprucing up the look of the Anaconda roller coaster by repainting the entire ride. The lake below the ride is already drained and work is underway to have the ride ready for the 2014 operating season. And the colors? Well, the ride columns will be green, the supports for the track red and the train’s running rails yellow.

1492277_10151775294966875_1920031262_o.jpg

Kings Dominion, you are totally spoiling me with all those neat announcements and improvements that a long-time visitor such as myself would appreciate and enjoy. The return of the Clown Band, a paint job on the Anaconda, the return of the Coca-Cola Pizza Parlor, and all those other goodies just recently announced will surely make the 2014 season the one season that nobody would forget ( and the one season I would look around this park in awe and remember all those Kings Dominion trips I've taken in the past).

There is one more day of Christmas left and still no announcement on whether or not the Rebel Yell would be repainted back into its original glory, or whether or not there will be a "Celebration" musical playing at the Kings Dominion Theater. And then there's that prospect of a ride returning . . .

I know I have plans on returning on opening day, Saturday April 4, 2014; but to hear about the Kings Dominion 40th Birthday Bash on May 10, 2014. I gotta be there!!! Who knows what they may have planned for that special day, but I remember one trip many, many years ago when Kings Dominion tried to break the world's record for the largest game of musical chairs. I wanted to play, but I was with a church group and we had to leave. Perhaps they might try again?

kINGS dOMINION - Betcha you can't do it all!!!

Hopefully Anaconda can get some new trains with this refurbishment. I dont recall the old ones being all that great.

And those anniversary t-shirts are ugly. I'll stick with the new pins instead. I cant wait to see the park release those designs.

I really want to know what the 12th day/christmas day surprise will be. Hopefully it is somewhat big.

Well, we shall find out later today. It could be the Rebel Yell getting a paint job; more info on the International Street Fountain overhaul; which rides in Candy Apple Grove are getting the new lighting packages; more info on the 2014 entertainment lineup; or maybe a former flat ride or two making a comeback.

I'm not sure, with the end of the "12 Days of Christmas" announcements, if the park is done disclosing the 2014 anniversary "surprises" or if they are keeping a couple more things up their sleeve to announce later in the off season. So, if no announcement happens today for a return of a former flat ride or two, I am not going to punch Santa out tonight.

A couple of these overhaul/refurbishment projects are multi-year efforts; The just announced Volcano Mountain makeover and the ongoing Carousel restoration [in its 2nd year of restoring the horses; with 2-3 more years to go. I assume the park is trying to finish the restoration project by the 2017 season when the Carousel will celebrate its 100th anniversary].

Even without the return of a former ride for 2014, Kings Dominion is getting quite a bit of love from Cedar Fair this off-season with all these new and improved projects going on. It is something I felt is long overdue and will hopefully put back into the park some of the charm and atmosphere that was stripped out during the Paramount years of ownership.

I didn't hate Anaconda but I'm a pretty tall guy and for some reason I never get much headbanging on arrows. About 10 years ago when I was still growing I hated them so I think my height plays a role. Last year when we rode Anaconda I mentioned something in the brake run about how it was actually pretty decent and my girlfriend looked at me like I was an idiot and said that it was the worst coaster she's ever ridden... so I guess it just depends.

She hates every Arrow looper except for Tennessee Tornado which we both think is great.