TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I anaconda was getting removed, why would they say they are making enhancemnts to it? That logic doesn't make sense to me.

I actually think they my give it a paint job. Original colors maybe? Also, when is the last time we've seen the splash effect working?

Edited by Hugecoltsfan

I wonder what enhancements Anaconda could be getting? In my opinion, it's removal would be an enhancement, but I guess this announcement means they don't want to get rid of it. Hmmm. New shoulder harnesses like some of the new boomerangs have?

Not just new shoulder harnesses, but whole new trains. They wouldn't be able to just swap the harnesses out.

The only Arrow coasters that have gotten new trains from Vekoma (that I know of) are Rolling X-Train and Vampire (Chessington). I'd bet that some rough old Arrows could benefit from Vekoma's new trains as long as they do some track work as well.

I'd love to see Anaconda be re-done so that it is actually fun to ride (hopefully this re-working will be more than just repainting), as I do have some fond memories of riding it back in the late 90's when I first got into coasters. No idea what they intend to do to Volcano, other than find some way to make the line shorter (not sure how they could do that, though), as it is in no where near as bad of shape as Anaconda.

I anaconda was getting removed, why would they say they are making enhancemnts to it? That logic doesn't make sense to me.

We were saying the greatest enhancement they could make to Anaconda (and the park) would be to remove it. As in addition by subtraction. You can only polish a turd for so long.

This is just another example of how awesome Matt Ouimet is compared to old Kinzel. Imagine that, putting CHARM back in a Cedar Fair park! So cool!

Agreed. The more I keep seeing of this new management just makes me think that people like Dick Kinzel and Jack Falfas had NO CLUE about running an amusement park company.

I hope the GP appreciates all the additions next year! My memory of the place was i305 being OMFG awesome and the rest of the park being relatively passable as far as presentation etc. goes so it'll be really nice to see some charm and historic throwbacks to spruce the park up!

Here's to hoping we see more moves like this from CF at other properties

This is just another example of how awesome Matt Ouimet is compared to old Kinzel. Imagine that, putting CHARM back in a Cedar Fair park! So cool!

When I first looked at the press release, the list of what's being added, and the new park logo, I couldn't believe that I was looking at at Cedar Fair park. I think that this might be the 2014 announcement that I am most excited for, as a park I am able to visit.

Now if they do the same at Kings Island, it might actually get be back there!

Hmmm, renaming the Congo back to Safari Village? I can understand the other details, like Anaconda being refurbished, Candy Apple Grove getting its name and theme back, but I wonder why they are changing it back to Safari Village? I doubt they are bringing back a safari, since the land is overgrown now and used as a bone yard, and running a safari would require a LOT more budget focused separately on them, but this intrigues me nonetheless. I wonder if they might re-theme Intimidator 305 into something safari themed now to fit in with the area? Flight of Fear can stay with its current theme as a secret base within a jungle, I think, but Intimidator getting a retheme would be interesting, IMHO.

Hmmm, renaming the Congo back to Safari Village? I can understand the other details, like Anaconda being refurbished, Candy Apple Grove getting its name and theme back, but I wonder why they are changing it back to Safari Village? I doubt they are bringing back a safari, since the land is overgrown now and used as a bone yard, and running a safari would require a LOT more budget focused separately on them, but this intrigues me nonetheless. I wonder if they might re-theme Intimidator 305 into something safari themed now to fit in with the area? Flight of Fear can stay with its current theme as a secret base within a jungle, I think, but Intimidator getting a retheme would be interesting, IMHO.

Agreed. The more I keep seeing of this new management just makes me think that people like Dick Kinzel and Jack Falfas had NO CLUE about running an amusement park company.

It's good to see that's what's been happening at Knott's--taking some pride in a park's history-is being carried through at other Cedar Fair parks.

Edited by cfc

Why couldn't Kings Island and Worlds of Fun have a cool anniversary logo like KD and SFOT? I'm really liking what the park has in store for next year in regards to bringing back classic theming to Congo and Grove. At this point I'm still holding out on updating Water Works with some new paint and maybe a couple of new slides too.

hopefully Volcano will get the other loading station the ride desperately needs and Anaconda can get new trains and paint.

I am very happy with what Matt has done in his short tenure as CF president so far. It seems the parks, at least CP and KI, are slowly getting their atmosphere back. I'm excited that Kings Dominion is going the retro route for its 40th and nice to see the original logo being brought back even if for just a brief time.

I like this announcement as well as the one for CP's expansion...except the KD video wasn't nearly as cool as the CP one!

Great moves by Ouimet to focus on theming and family instead of new thrill rides with little theming. LOVE this whole retro idea!

I had tears of joy in my eyes when I read the announcement earlier today. I've been going to KD since I was born and love the fact that the owners seemed to know that it had lost something in the past 15-20 years. This is way better than any new coaster in my opinion. They basically sold the public on general park improvements, which is usually pretty hard to do. Ingenious! Um, anyone else ready to start a Matt Ouimet religion?

I had tears of joy in my eyes when I read the announcement earlier today. I've been going to KD since I was born and love the fact that the owners seemed to know that it had lost something in the past 15-20 years. This is way better than any new coaster in my opinion. They basically sold the public on general park improvements, which is usually pretty hard to do. Ingenious! Um, anyone else ready to start a Matt Ouimet religion?

It also leads me to believe we might see a pretty astounding attraction in 2015 with some thought behind it.

I love this. Perfect.

I remember a few years ago at East Coast Bash someone on management remarked about Anaconda "not going anywhere" with a wink when I asked him on the midway and I'm so glad to hear it's not only staying but being improved somehow.

KD is such a great park and I can say without exaggeration this is as exciting to me as a new coaster.