TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Apparently Miner's Revenge is replacing Camp Killauee and Zombie High is replacing Toxic Plague.

I'm interested to see how these turn out! I'm happy Camp Killauee is getting replaced as that was one of the weaker mazes.

I agree regarding Camp Killauee--a pretty hit-or-miss maze.

Speaking of Haunt, the park recently sent out this announcement.

Kings Dominion to Host Park-Wide Job Fair to Kick Start Hiring Blitz

Kings Dominion looking to fill nearly 150 positions for fall operation

WHAT: Kings Dominion – home of the bigger, better Planet Snoopy – will host a park-wide job fair to fill nearly 150 positions as the park gets ready for fall operation. Kings Dominion is looking for applicants to fill job openings throughout the park including food and beverage, games, merchandise, rides, water park, admissions and security departments. Entry-level, as well as supervisory positions, are available to qualified applicants.

Applicants must be at least 15 years of age and apply online at www.kingsdominion.com/jobs. Kings Dominion management will contact qualified applicants to set up an interview.

Kings Dominion will also host a “Scream Test and Creature Casting” on Saturday, August 17th from 5 until 9 pm for Halloween Haunt. The park is currently looking to fill more than 450 monster positions that will roam the midways as part of the region’s largest scare force. No appointments are necessary, all walk in applicants accepted for the Haunt Casting Call.

WHEN: Saturday, August 17, 2013 from 10 AM until 4 PM – Park Job Fair

Saturday, August 17, 2013 from 5 – 9 PM – Scream Test and Creature Casting

WHERE: Kings Dominion

16000 Theme Park Way

Doswell, VA 23047

Hello all, I'm very excited to possibly visit Kings Dominion for the first time on Labor Day Weekend. My partner and I were planning on hitting the park for two days on Sunday, and Labor Day. I imagine the crowds will be heavy, so that's why we're thinking two days. I'm not really into fast pass or anything, as my partner often needs planned breaks in between attractions to stave off motion sickness.

Are there certain areas of the park that you would hit up first at opening? And does the park rope off certain areas until a certain amount of people are in the park? Also, does anyone think they know of a good hotel that's not too pricey, but still a decent sleep, or will hotels be hard to come by this weekend? Thanks everyone!

^ Two days will be more than enough time to hit everything in the park. They allow platinum pass members (I believe) in earlier then other guest. Sometimes Dominator/Berserker opens up a little earlier then everything else since they are both the only rides in the front of the park. With out a Fast Pass Volcano will have a long line. I would go straight there and then Intimidator. But only if you are trying to rush. With two days I would not worry about it. Whenever I go to a park I start with something and work than my way around the park. I do not get the jumping all around. That is not enjoyable to me.

Anyway... there are lots of hotels within 20 minutes of the park. There is one right in the parking lot but its usually really pricey. I usually stay a little bit south of the park and have about a 10-15 minute drive to the park. I suggest using Google Maps to figure out where the hotels are and then calling the hotels direct. It is a holiday weekend so I would start looking now. Some hotels have minimum night stays over holiday weekends.

^ Two days will be more than enough time to hit everything. With two days I would not worry about it. Whenever I go to a park I start with something and work than my way around the park. I do not get the jumping all around. That is not enjoyable to me.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Good to hear that I can meander through the park without having to rush. I don't like bouncing around much either. It's always fun to experience a new park the way it was meant to, in a complete circle. We'll definitely look into hotels soon, so we won't get stuck without one.

Cool, I love haunts, BTW, just noticed that I305 is down for the count. I guess that's what I get for not reading posts first. I wonder if it will be back up in time for Labor Day. Keep us posted Richmond locals, otherwise, might have to go to Busch Gardens instead.

How long has Intimidator 305 been down? I've been hearing about it, but never did hear when it happened.

Based upon a Screamscape report, Intimidator has been down since the evening of July 8. It's a shame two of the best Intamin's on the East Coast are both out of commission at the moment.

We are tentatively planning a trip to Myrtle Beach starting Labor Day weekend and thought about visiting the park on the way down. If I-305 is still not running, we may skip it and head to Busch Gardens instead...or maybe even try to drive down to SFOG which we have never visited.

We are tentatively planning a trip to Myrtle Beach starting Labor Day weekend and thought about visiting the park on the way down. If I-305 is still not running, we may skip it and head to Busch Gardens instead...or maybe even try to drive down to SFOG which we have never visited.

Well they're both nice parks even with 305 out of the picture, and both should be avoided like the plague on Saturdays (and Sun. on Labor Day weekend), although at KD you might practically get a little woodies action, and I305 could still be worth it if running and you haven't experienced it before.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151786474907272&set=a.10150550531162272.393543.228082587271&type=1&theater

Just seen this post on KDFansite's facebook. I know this has been said many times, but peoples comments are absurd. They want to get some of their season pass money back because of 305 being down....LOL!!!

I was at the park today, 305 was still down to no surprise and there was no sign of work being done on it. But it was a great day to go! water park was completely empty and I waited about 10 minutes for volcano which was the longest line of the day as usual.

My partner and I are doing a, what we call a "wine, wildlife, waterfall and roller coaster trip to Virginia from the 21st to the 28th of this month. Our itinerary includes doing a wine tour of VA, hiking White Oak Canyon for the waterfalls, wineries, Old Rag mountain , more wineries and culminating with a trip to Kings Dominion. My question is, I know 305 is down right now and is expected to be up soon, but has anyone heard when it may be running again ? My hopes are for this friday, but if not, maybe monday? To me that would be a great ending to our trip. Anyone heard anything yet ?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151786474907272&set=a.10150550531162272.393543.228082587271&type=1&theater

Just seen this post on KDFansite's facebook. I know this has been said many times, but peoples comments are absurd. They want to get some of their season pass money back because of 305 being down....LOL!!!

Those comments are great.

Im surprised people havent been offered some money back for season passes considering it's been down pretty much the whole time. Maybe there needs to be a facebook page for that

They should take it of the map!

Im glad we passed on buying season passes this year....

My partner and I are doing a, what we call a "wine, wildlife, waterfall and roller coaster trip to Virginia from the 21st to the 28th of this month. Our itinerary includes doing a wine tour of VA, hiking White Oak Canyon for the waterfalls, wineries, Old Rag mountain , more wineries and culminating with a trip to Kings Dominion. My question is, I know 305 is down right now and is expected to be up soon, but has anyone heard when it may be running again ? My hopes are for this friday, but if not, maybe monday? To me that would be a great ending to our trip. Anyone heard anything yet ?

probably not

the most optimistic reports I've heard are labor day weekend. but that's just rumors anyway, so take it for what it's worth.