TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Why would it be originally painted yellow though? Yellow isn't a primer color. Grey is. Besides other sections of the track show rust/ worn out marks. Not yellow.

Also Mad Cobra over at Suzuka Circuit in Japan has been closed since 2003 and it has yellow track also.

^ I don't know, these Chinese knock off manufacturers use an orange primer for thier coasters so yellow could be another odd primer color like orange.

Link with primer: http://rcdb.com/9850.htm?p=37712

Link Finished: http://rcdb.com/9850.htm?p=37720

(For some unknown reason, Chinese Manufactures paint the track on site and NOT in the factory)

Ok I will give you some credit for that one, but for your sakes to let you know, Mad Cobra is in Japan not China. But I will bring up another thought for you to think about. The corkscrew is not the only piece of track that is yellow. If you look at the sixth photo, there is another piece of track that is yellow, but wait! It's not entirely yellow. The only part that is yellow is the rail. Now when someone they paint roller coaster track; they paint the entire segment then stop if they plan to. This is just the rail and not even all of the rail. Now they could have ran out of paint, but here is the thing, there is multiple spots that are yellow. And I don't believe that since this ride is in America the primer color would be orange or yellow because that is a bright color for black to be painted over top of. Grey is a color us americans use and makes a lot more sense when painting something dark.

Another point that I would like to bring up. You may be still in your crazy minds be thinking that the paint wear off with the trains flying by. When that happens it usually goes through the outside paint (black) all the way through the primer color (grey or yellow) to the bare steel. In some parts where the track is black I see yellow in those worn spots. Now in other spots I see a grey rustic color of the steel meaning that the train didn't wear through all the paint which could mean multiple layers of paint. Now why would they spend the money to paint it grey then yellow to black.

Well simple I don't think they didn't. I think the track was transported from the Mad Cobra to Kings Dominion because there was issues with certain segments of track and they couldn't paint all the segments because they had to open the ride on time the following year leaving the corkscrew bare yellow and not completing the paint on that other track segment.

Which leaves me back to my other question: Why is there a different rides track pieces in KD's FoF?

Ok I will give you some credit for that one, but for your sakes to let you know, Mad Cobra is in Japan not China.....

I think the track was transported from the Mad Cobra to Kings Dominion because there was issues with certain segments of track and they couldn't paint all the segments because they had to open the ride on time the following year leaving the corkscrew bare yellow and not completing the paint on that other track segment.

Which leaves me back to my other question: Why is there a different rides track pieces in KD's FoF?

1. This sound like one of those silly GP rumors (Magnum is sinking ect)

2. If it is still in Japan, why is there a picture of it being set up in CHINA?! Link: http://rcdb.com/3511.htm?p=19956

Well simple I don't think they didn't.

So, you think they did what ever it was you're trying to say?

And to answer someone else's question, no, you can't see the yellow track unless all the lights are on. These other "yellow" spots you're seeing could merely be reflections of the work lights on the track.

It could be that the yellow track is replacement track. There is also the possibility that the track, especially the final corkscrew is yellow for greater visibility. I thought that section of track was close to the maintenance bay section of the building, (where the large "do not block" door is located). It could be that the park wanted that section of track to stand out more to reduce the risk of collision if the park was using some sort of heavy equipment in the building (forklift, etc.)

Well then why isn't Kings Island's corkscrew yellow? Same ride. Same theme. Same type of building. Same maintenance areas. It's not yellow.

Because, for some reason they wanted to paint the coaster blue and orange. It wouldn't make any sense for every Arrow looper in the world to be the same color, now would it?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure they'll replace some of the straps in the off season. The worn chairs are just a casualty of war, they all fade over time. Check out pics of Millennium Force and S:ROS for similar examples. I think the trains get kind of dirty too swooping around by that lake with all the summertime bugs, but what can you do...

Planet Snoopy update on Kings Dominion's face book page (12 pictures). All of the pictures are of the removal and demolition of the outgoing attractions. http://www.facebook.com/kingsdominionva

Warning: The pictures can be a little depressing for old farts like me. Some of these attractions have been at the park since it opened in 1975. I had to take a couple seconds to recognize the area where the tree swings were and demolition of Yogi's/Treasure cave (in progress) in a couple of the pictures!

But, nothing lasts forever and change is good. I am excited, (and a little jealous), for the little ones and what they will be experiencing this coming spring.

This is the time of the year for Kings Dominion to hand out oversized checks. Kudos to the park for their generosity to good causes!

JDRF_Check_Presentation.thumb.jpg.54c97d06c444f2f3472503027a847c00.jpg

Kings Dominion Vice President and General Manager Pat Jones ® presents the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) Capitol Chapter Executive Director Piper Dankworth © with an $18,982 donation to help save lives and find a cure for type 1 diabetes, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012. Thanks to the support from Kings Dominion guests and JDRF sponsors, $2.00 from all tickets sold under the JDRF program was donated to the foundation. Also pictured is Kings Dominion Director of Finance Owen Matthews (l).

Edited by cfc