TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

It will definitely be a tad more crowded now than earlier in the month (happens every year), but if you go on a Friday or Sunday night you will be fine and be able to do practically everything. Saturdays during Haunt should be avoided at all costs so you don't have to stand in all of the lines and so you get a better feel of the atmosphere, which doesn't happen when it is packed!

I was there for 4.5 hours and managed to do all 10 mazes (x2 for No Vacancy), 6 scarezones, 3 shows, and 5 rides. Then I went back the next day (Saturday) for 4 hours and managed to do 15 rides (10 straight laps on 305) before heading home. The Haunt crowds were arriving though as I was leaving at 2:30.

Headed to the park tomorrow for the day, and staying for about 3 hours of the haunt. I haven't been to the haunt since 2010, so I don't know how long the lines will get for the new mazes. Last time (I dont remember what day of the week), I never waited more than 20 minutes for any of the mazes (except Blue Ridge Bloodbath), so I'm not really sure what to expect on a Saturday night in late October. Any advice on when to hit things like Corn Stalkers and No Vacancy? I'm assuming it's best to just head to those as the haunt is starting, although I can imagine Corn Stalkers is much better at night. Also, I hope Doll Factory is as good as it was two years ago!

Lights out Intimidator is amazing. That is all.

It sure was. Perfect weather and crowds to get all the haunt attractions in. Love that they have the 4D movie "Haunted House"

I was there last Saturday and I agree the Haunted House 3-D movie is something well worth doing, even if you have to wait a while. Really feels like you are right there. As it was a saturday, it did indeed get very crowded once the afternoon rolled around, and by about 6:30 pm I really had to do some crowd-dodging to just get thru the park. Also 2nd that - after dark rides on I-305 are awesome!

Does owning a gold pass for King Dominion allow you to buy a regular ticket for a decreased rate?

Friday 26th, Sunday 28th - $21.99 (Bring-A-Friend Days)

Saturday 27th - save $25.00 off Regular General Admission every day of the season (one guest per pass). Available for purchase at the front gate only.

Does owning a gold pass for King Dominion allow you to buy a regular ticket for a decreased rate?

Friday 26th, Sunday 28th - $21.99 (Bring-A-Friend Days)

Saturday 27th - save $25.00 off Regular General Admission every day of the season (one guest per pass). Available for purchase at the front gate only.

Alright thanks! Now for the Bring-A-Friend Day would I just show my pass when I purchase a ticket at the front gate? Also, are there any time restrictions, and are you limited to only one ticket per pass on the Bring-A-Friend Day? Lastly if only one ticket can be bought per pass, could I bring a family member's pass to purchase another discounted ticket even though the family member would not be present?

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#CedarFair

According to an anonymous spy source, Cedar Fair is said to making plans to retire Vortex at Kings Island (1987) and Anaconda at Kings Dominion (1991) sometime in the next few years. Apparently they seem to believe that these two old Arrow coasters may be close to reaching the end of their practical lifespan, mixed with issues like increasing maintenance costs and declining guest popularity.

I have to admit that locally, I’ve heard first hand rumors claiming that Carolina Cyclone at Carowinds (1980) isn’t likely to be around in another five years. Makes me wonder if Cedar Fair may also be looking into removing the Corkscrew coasters from Cedar Point (1976), Michigan’s Adventure (1979) and Valleyfair (1980) and there are progressively fewer and fewer 70’s era Arrow loopers still running.

Source

It would be a shame if that's true! I always ride Anaconda on my visits to the park, and although I'm not in love with it, it's still a solid ride. It would make sense though, it's not really a draw for the park... but neither are Shockwave and Hurler, two much worse rides than that. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Edited by robbalvey

According to an anonymous spy source, Cedar Fair is said to making plans to retire Vortex at Kings Island (1987) and Anaconda at Kings Dominion (1991) sometime in the next few years. Apparently they seem to believe that these two old Arrow coasters may be close to reaching the end of their practical lifespan, mixed with issues like increasing maintenance costs and declining guest popularity.

I have to admit that locally, I’ve heard first hand rumors claiming that Carolina Cyclone at Carowinds (1980) isn’t likely to be around in another five years. Makes me wonder if Cedar Fair may also be looking into removing the Corkscrew coasters from Cedar Point (1976), Michigan’s Adventure (1979) and Valleyfair (1980) and there are progressively fewer and fewer 70’s era Arrow loopers still running.

Source

It would be a shame if that's true! I always ride Anaconda on my visits to the park, and although I'm not in love with it, it's still a solid ride. It would make sense though, it's not really a draw for the park... but neither are Shockwave and Hurler, two much worse rides than that. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Anaconda can rot but I think Vortex is actually a really good coaster. Hopefully they reconsider this if it's true.

Mr. O really is giving the Ax to all these "classic" arrow loopers . As long as its something along the lines of Disaster Transport > GateKeeper, then I wont complain too much. I always thought the Vortex was popular at Kings Island, everyone of my friends who've visited KI said they enjoyed it way more than FireHawk or the Racer. Anaconda though, that just looks like Pain.

^See that's interesting. Granted, it's been about four years since my last ride on either, but if I took that last ride I easily preferred Anaconda to Vortex. Vortex tried to kill me and left me with one of those day long brain stem Voyage headaches.

I have to agree with Chuck on this one, although my opinion is based on ride experiences from years ago.

Vortex wasn't that bad for me when I rode it but Anaconda beat me in ways I didn't expect. I'm pretty sure it was those wonky turns that nearly bruised my skull.

As long as the suspended coasters stay I guess. I'm actually surprised that the suspended coasters weren't slated for removal first. I don't have a problem with Anaconda leaving, although I'd love to ride at least KI's Vortex before those mega-loopers leave forever. What is up with those things anyway? Everyone seems to be taking them out one by one. It's definitely a shame to see the smaller corkscrew coasters go too.

- Isn't CP's Corkscrew one of their more iconic rides because it goes over the midway?

- Anyone know if Dragon Fyre (CW) is on the chopping block too? That park isn't known for removing coasters.

Anyone know if Dragon Fyre (CW) is on the chopping block too? That park isn't known for removing coasters.

Kings Dominion has only removed three, and they have 14 now... so there's a possibility that we could have almost no Cedar Fair-owned Arrow Loopers anymore.

Every time I go to Kings Dominion, even with a hour wait for Dominator, Anaconda was always walk on. Perhaps they could be like BGW: Pull it out on a anniversary. As much as I like the ride, though, it seems they always had their worst operators there. It would be a smart (but somewhat upsetting) move for the park in my opinion.