TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I think you all need to remember that Pat Jones (Kings Dominion GM and VP) and other high ups were walking around KidZville in the spring with blueprints in their hands and taking photos.

With that in mind the teaser is hinting to one large Planet Snoopy... which is exactly what the park needs.

I went to KD for the first time about a month ago. It was a nice, quaint park. Short lines (Volcano, sometimes FOF is the exeption) Good variety of coasters, Intimidator rocks.....that kind of stuff....

But I noticed something, Is it just me, or is Shockwave not NEARLY as painful as people let on? I rode it expecting "the steel Mean Streak" And I personally thought it was a pretty fun coaster! Is it because I'm desensitized to jerky, painful coasters (I like Vekoma Boomerangs and SLCs and I enjoyed the Coney Island Cyclone. I like some roughness, don't judge me) or did they do work on it?

I think you all need to remember that Pat Jones (Kings Dominion GM and VP) and other high ups were walking around KidZville in the spring with blueprints in their hands and taking photos.

With that in mind the teaser is hinting to one large Planet Snoopy... which is exactly what the park needs.

How can it be a "record breaking" addition when most of KD's guests wouldn't be able to ride any kids rides?

I don't understand that question at all. How can Formula Rossa be record-breaking when 99% of the world's population will never ride it? Or how can Kingda Ka be one when people under 54" can't ride it? If the park expands/combines/whatevers its kids area to be the largest in whatever region they like, then it's a record.

New guess: launched Red Baron children's roller coaster. BAM. Back comes the launch record.

Disclaimer: This is not a serious guess.

^^^That is exactly what I thought of Shockwave! It's not the smoothest coaster around, but It's not terrible! I'm also into jerky, twisty crazy rides as well. Rides like Vekoma SLC's, Vekoma sit down (on certain seats), Breakdancers, wooden coasters, top spins, and such rides that leave me disoriented, slightly beaten, or thrown around are what I love the most!

I rode Shockwave for the first time on Saturday, and while it didn't kill me I wouldn't consider it re-ridable. I got the credit and do not plan on riding it again. It's fine until about halfway through the helix, then it is just a mess IMO.

Shockwave isn't overly bad, with the exception of the kink in the helix and the last turnaround before the brakes. I don't particularly enjoy my time on it, but it isn't that miserable.

The only part I find painful really is that last turn & the airtime going through the bunnyhops into the brake run hurts my shoulders a bit but it's not as bad as hurler or anaconda.

For 2013:I would expect the teaser graphic to be a little more comical/peanuts like as opposed to what we see in the art work if it were for a revamp of the kidzville area.

I already think the entire kids offerings KD has as being the largest on the East Coast. How much more bigger do they need to make it? The teaser graphic shown, for some odd reason, reminds me of the advert for Magnum in CP's 1989 brochure.

When I rode Shockwave back in June I didn't think it was that bad it's just that you had to be an expert in yoga in order to get in and out of the restraints.

I was there few weeks after there season opening and was about 20 guys running around with plans and pointing things out. I stopped one of them and asked what they where up to and he wouldn't give a straight answer. With that said I can put 2 and 2 together and have a idea that Planet Snoopy is getting a face lift . Now what the record thing I could only imagine. Maybe they been listening to KDFANCOASTERFAN and they will build another B&M coaster!!!!!!!!! LOL

Shockwave isn't overly bad, with the exception of the kink in the helix and the last turnaround before the brakes. I don't particularly enjoy my time on it, but it isn't that miserable.

The only part I find painful really is that last turn & the airtime going through the bunnyhops into the brake run hurts my shoulders a bit but it's not as bad as hurler or anaconda.

For 2013:I would expect the teaser graphic to be a little more comical/peanuts like as opposed to what we see in the art work if it were for a revamp of the kidzville area.

I kinda liked Anaconda, if it wasn't for the headbanging in the "Butterfly helices" and the really bad pacing in the corkscrews it would be a really nice ride! The underground drop is a nice touch and the loop and immelmann are very fast and forceful. Just goes to show you, Vekoma can try as they may, but they'll never be able to duplicate the feeling of a good Arrow Dynamics coaster....

But, If I were to predict that a coaster be removed from KD in 2013, It seems that Anaconda and Shockwave are on borrowed time. I really don't know if the powers that be (KD and Cedar Fair) want to remove anything, but I'm just saying...I wouldn't be surprised if those two rides got (imatates throat cutting) HHHHHHKKKKKKKK.

I already think the entire kids offerings KD has as being the largest on the East Coast. How much more bigger do they need to make it? The teaser graphic shown, for some odd reason, reminds me of the advert for Magnum in CP's 1989 brochure.

When I rode Shockwave back in June I didn't think it was that bad it's just that you had to be an expert in yoga in order to get in and out of the restraints.

A possibility exists that a part of the 2013 attraction may occupy the footprint currently occupied by treasure cave? In order to retheme kidzville they'd need to remove/replace virtually every one of the rides save for their dark ride & ghoster coaster as there's no more room to increase the physical size of that section of the park without going into congo...that & most of the rides have already been renamed from nick/HB to peanuts/generic themes since 2010.

Everyone will read into that teaser what they want it to be.

I just think that KD needs to refresh and expand the kid's area. The last time anything major happened was in the mid-90's ('94 or '95) when Paramount brought in Nickelodeon. There were 3 Nick related attractions [Nickelodeon name / Cedar Fair name], (Space Surfer / Snoopy's Flying Ace | Rugrat's Turnpike / Snoopy's Driving School | Slime Zone / Snoopy's Splash Dance), that were added at that time. It was about 10-11 years prior to Nick coming along that the kid's area received the last expansion in the early to mid-80's (Before Paramount - '84?).

Now, it has been 16-17 years since any major revamp of the kid's area was done. I just feel that the kids deserve a "New and Improved" area to ride and play in. Cedar Fair has done a nice job with the other Planet Snoopy areas that were expanded/revamped over the last 3-4 years. I can see KD add up to 10-12 new rides in that section. I look at the rocket as going to "Planet Snoopy".

If this goes forward as the new 2013 attraction, I wonder what existing rides Kings Dominion will keep and which they will get rid of. I can see them keeping the major attractions, (Boo Blasters, Ghoster Coaster, Snoopy's Flying Ace, Snoopy's Driving School). Maybe they will still keep Taxi jam, the kiddy bump cars, and Snoopy's Splash Dance as well. Any of the other small flat rides could be on the chopping block though. Plus, I could see Kings Dominion use the existing space in that area in a more efficient manner. There are a lot of gaps between existing attractions that could be filled in with new rides and have a better flow of the people walking around and through that area. With the picture in the previous post above, you can see that there are many open areas still available to add new rides and attractions; in addition to using the space where the existing rides are located. There is a good chunk of space between Snoopy's Flying Ace ride (ride on far left of the picture) and Snoopy's Splash Dance water play area (attraction above the large circular show amphitheater on the left side of the photo). That could hold another medium size ride or two smaller rides. I always thought Snoopy's Flying Ace ride was sort of isolated from the rest of the Kid's area.

Anyway, We shall find out in about 6 weeks from now.

Think about next year? We have seen Execs walking around the dated kids area, the question to be asked is what is it missing? For me, two things: 1) another large scale kiddie ride (like a til-a-wirl) and 2) a step up kiddie coaster. For younger kids looking to jump up from Taxi Jam they have Scooby Doo. From Scooby Doo where then? Rebel Yell? Backlot? Anaconda? Log Flume? The park needs another step up coaster like a Roller Skater. I have heard rumors that the ole' slime zone is at its end. Maybe we'll see a Marquis kiddie ride put there?

The park is getting goods next year, relative at least. Rumored phase 1 of the Rebel Yell renovation? Rumored station renovation of Volcano? If everything is true that's a pretty big year for the park.

The thing that gets me about a rumored retheme of the kids area is that they had an opportunity to do this in 2011 to finish up what they'd started in 2010 with the retheme of the former nick central area & all the park did was add starlight spectacular so why wait two or three years to finish what was started in 2010?Also for any sort of work to be done in kidzville we'd be seeing at least some sort of markings by now,or sometime in the near future otherwise they may be working on something totally different & might be trying to throw us off since nobody saw what exactly was on those blueprints after all.

CP has/had their signs around the DT area hinting at their 2013 attraction,perhaps we should be looking out for this rocket sign/graphic near the kidzville entry points as a clue in the coming weeks as to what's going on?..I do recall KD putting up a sign showing windseeker around the ED site during haunt after they fenced it off & were in the process of removing the ride to prep the site so that's why I think we may see these signs in the KV area if in fact a retheme is taking place.

My guess as to why Kings Dominion did not do a full Planet Snoopy makeover in 2010 or 2011 is that they just spent 25 million dollars on a NASCAR themed roller coaster that year.

Cedar Fair did not renew the Nickelodeon / Hanna-Barbera license agreement for the 2010 season and all of the theming related to both had to be removed. Kings Dominion did the minimum required that year to eliminate those names and related characters by changing out the ride signage and ride vehicle decorations. Those rides that were impacted got a new Snoopy related name and theme.

I've stated here and on other sites that the most likely candidate for the new 2013 attraction would be a full Planet Snoopy expansion/renovation of the kid's area. I been posting my thoughts on this for the last 4-5 months before this teaser came out.

I also stated in previous postings that a water park expansion/renovation could be the "Dark Horse" as far as possibilities go in the near future (2013 to 2015) for the new attraction for KD.

We will have the answer for what is in store for 2013 in about 4-5 weeks.

^ If a water park expansion happened in the next few years KD doesn't need a taller water slide than Pipeline's Peak (not saying it wouldn't happened) The park has a few missing likes in its water park line up.... Some version of a water coaster (like Wildebeest or Mammoth) or a Proslide whirlpool. They could take a chance on a Aqualoop though Water Country USA has a similar slide. It doesn't have a mat racer (once again something WC USA has) but it could benefit from one. Maybe a longer, faster, rapids like alzy river could be built. Lots of options. But by looking at the water park trends. I would make the guess a water coaster COULD come to the park by 2014/2015.

I know everyone is asking, when will we see the next major coaster installation? With a Planet Snoopy expansion (Space ship teaser anyone?) and a probably water park expansion in 2014 (These only happen at KD every 7 years or so), I wouldn't expect it until 2015 at the earliest. Just my $0.02