TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

When leaving the park at around 8:30 saturday evening I said hi to one of the security staff & a higher up near the gate & again inquired about the situation & was told that they hope to re-open the ride by monday at the earliest....still no word from either of them on just what happened frieday evening as well.

That sucks... I hope they get it back up by then!

When leaving the park at around 8:30 saturday evening I said hi to one of the security staff & a higher up near the gate & again inquired about the situation & was told that they hope to re-open the ride by monday at the earliest....still no word from either of them on just what happened frieday evening as well.

I for one would like to know just what exactly happened.

I for one would like to know just what exactly happened.

I've tried searching a few local newspapers and some other places and come up empty?? Must not have been that bad........

^Yeah, or a heart attack or something. They'll probably do a redundant safety check on Monday and then re-open it. It happens, unfortunately.

On a side note, has anyone ever noticed the ride descriptions on KD's Web site? I love that Hurler is a "favorite of enthusiasts" and that Shockwave is a "favorite of park guests." Haha, yeah.

This was just released: www.nbc12.com/story/19084224/guest-found-unresponsive-on-kings-dominion-ride

DOSWELL, VA (WWBT) -

A medical emergency at Kings Dominion, Friday, sent a park guest, found unresponsive on the one of the rides, to the hospital.

Kings Dominion spokesperson, Gene Petriello, said it happened in the loading area of the ride called the Dominator.

Petriello told NBC12, at 9:24 p.m. Friday, a ride associate at the Dominator roller coaster reported that a park guest was unresponsive while on a train in the train station. Park safety officials, as well as Hanover Fire and EMS immediately responded and initiated emergency medical treatment. The guest was then transported by ambulance to Memorial Regional Medical Center in Mechanicsville.

According to Petriello, a Hanover County inspector came out on Saturday, but found no issues with the ride. However, the ride continues to remain closed at this time for an additional safety inspection.

In a statement released, Kings Dominion reps said their thoughts and prayers go out to the family affected.

The Dominator has been open since 2008 with speeds that reach up to 65 miles per hour. It's a ride where your feet dangle. Kings Dominion reps say it has the world's largest vertical loop.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

I've been looking through the news reports and they all seem to go off of the statement the park gave, all using the keyword "unresponsive". There's only one report I've seen so far that indirectly indicates that the man is ok. Not sure if it's just because of what the park issued but at least in my local area, they'd have the courtesy to say something about his condition even if it's unknown.

http://www.wina.com/Kings-Dominion-Shuts-Down-Roller-Coaster/13782888 - This one even uses the word "dead" and doesn't say anything about a recovery so...

Is the guy ok?

I've been looking through the news reports and they all seem to go off of the statement the park gave, all using the keyword "unresponsive". There's only one report I've seen so far that indirectly indicates that the man is ok. Not sure if it's just because of what the park issued but at least in my local area, they'd have the courtesy to say something about his condition even if it's unknown.

http://www.wina.com/Kings-Dominion-Shuts-Down-Roller-Coaster/13782888 - This one even uses the word "dead" and doesn't say anything about a recovery so...

Is the guy ok?

It's very confusing because none of the reports I've read so far give any indication as to wether or not he actually completed a ride on the coaster or not...he could've just sat down in the train & passed out before it was even dispatched especially if it was hot during the day.

Folks,

Keep in mind that it appears this person had a medical issue while on the ride (before, during, or after - we don't know and probably won't know). I can't fathom a mechanical reason on the ride that would cause ONE person to loose consciousness and everyone else on the train was fine.

Most rides, especially thrill rides, exert forces on the body that is above the "normal" range a person experiences in everyday life. But, even then, there are world-wide standards that limit the maximum forces, and the duration of those forces, a human body can experience. I believe that almost ALL ride manufacturers currently adhere to those limits (and don't come anywhere near the ride force limits in their ride designs).

There are some people that have pre-existing medical conditions that prevent them from riding extreme thrill rides. The forces are too much for their bodies and can cause adverse medical conditions if they rode. That is why there are signs at each ride entrance stating you must be in "good health" to ride and to NOT ride if you have any of the medical conditions listed on that sign.

Even then, there are people that know they have medical issues and go ahead and ride anyway; taking a chance that the ride won't affect them. Maybe they beat the odds and maybe they are "dead" wrong.

Sadly, there are some people that have UNKNOWN pre-existing medical conditions and ride something that triggers an adverse medical issue. The strong forces of the ride trigger symptoms that are hidden from the person in normal day-to-day activities.

I feel the ride shutdown is part of the normal investigation procedure to rule out ride malfunction or operator error in this incident.

I wouldn't be suprised if he/she lost consciousness in the helix t the end as it's got some strong forces that have really pushed me to the limit lately...I know that when I'm on the ride the forces are quite substantial & I can definitely feel the blood drain into my feet.

Loss of consciousness isn't a reason to close a ride though. There was clearly a more serious health condition that he was experiencing that left him "unresponsive."

Do we know that he's alive? Most articles seem to indicate that he is, albeit indirectly.

Of course none of us know when on the ride the person became "unresponsive" but the final helix does pull quite a lot of G's & almost makes me want to throw up afterwards as of lately.

Well, Dominator reopened yesterday morning, running fine.

Of course none of us know when on the ride the person became "unresponsive" but the final helix does pull quite a lot of G's & almost makes me want to throw up afterwards as of lately.

Agreed, but it doesn't pull as much as Backlot or i305...

Well, Dominator reopened yesterday morning, running fine.

Agreed, but it doesn't pull as much as Backlot or i305...

The G's on backlot aren't as bad as on intimidator's first turn.

Just to make it official, the woman on Dominator did in fact die from a brain aneurysm. It was just released today.

Yeah,I read the article earlier today....really sad but unfortunately her condition was a ticking timebomb that was bound to go off sooner or later & what makes it more sad is that she probably was completely unaware of the condition.