TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I swear people are just complaining to complain when it comes to Fast Lane at KD. Trust me, I was very shocked and impressed by KD with the way they were running Fast Lane to keep it fair as possible to non-FL users... The only ride that I hope they find a different way to run the FL on is Volcano, and rumors are that park management is aware of the problem and looking for a solution according to Coaster Crew/KDFansite staff.

Avalanche is being added to fastlane...looks like one more ride that may be off my ride list.

And just one more person we don't have to worry about in line.

In all reality fastlane is better suited for flats than for coasters as the regular line moves faster per cycle than running it does on the coasters & one probable reason for this is the lack of a station to have to wait in.I didn't mind it too much on windseeker or the eagles but am not happy with it being on many of the coasters.

How is Fast Lane bothering you on Intimidator 305, Flight of Fear, or Dominator? Fast Lane riders merge into the stations with 150+ other riders so how the heck is another few people added in every once is a while making the lines that much worse for you? Fortunately, KD is doing Avalanche's Fast Lane line the same way as Intimidator 305, Flight of Fear, and Dominator so the effect will be minnimal.

I could see if you were complaining about Volcano, since that's where the only Fast Lane problem currently is (hopefully they'll fix it soon), but as you said before you don't ride it because of "poor capacity", claimed "headbanging", and how you want a B&M invert in the park.

Trust me, be thankful for KD running Fast Lane how they are and not letting Fast Lane riders just walk up to the exit and then pick your seats on almost all the like rides like they are down at Carowinds...

How is Fast Lane bothering you on Intimidator 305, Flight of Fear, or Dominator? Fast Lane riders merge into the stations with 150+ other riders so how the heck is another few people added in every once is a while making the lines that much worse for you? Fortunately, KD is doing Avalanche's Fast Lane line the same way as Intimidator 305, Flight of Fear, and Dominator so the effect will be minnimal.

I could see if you were complaining about Volcano, since that's where the only Fast Lane problem currently is (hopefully they'll fix it soon), but as you said before you don't ride it because of "poor capacity", claimed "headbanging", and how you want a B&M invert in the park.

Trust me, be thankful for KD running Fast Lane how they are and not letting Fast Lane riders just walk up to the exit and then pick your seats on almost all the like rides like they are down at Carowinds...

I'll have to see if there is any difference on my next visit on may 5th as by then the park will be open til 10 pm....I wouldn't say that I305's disabled guest entrance would count as "merging" the line since it's more or less direct access into the station.

Went to KD today and fast pass was really not a big issue from all the rides we rode. I guess if you want to pay the hefty $55 for one person a day It would be a good thing. By the way things ran smoother today than my Monday trip. Backlot running only the white train so line was slow but bearable. As far as everything else most line were less than 10 minutes or less. And I loved Dominator and thanks to you guy's and Gal's for the info on 4th and 5th row seats. As far as 305 no go need to lose some of my tool shed before I can fit in it...

^ Glad to hear lines were moving well and it sounds like you had a good time!

I wouldn't say that I305's disabled guest entrance would count as "merging" the line since it's more or less direct access into the station.

It is literally the same exact set-up as Dominator and Flight of Fear have with Fast Lane users still having to pick what row they want and then wait in the station...

Went to KD today and fast pass was really not a big issue from all the rides we rode. I guess if you want to pay the hefty $55 for one person a day It would be a good thing. By the way things ran smoother today than my Monday trip. Backlot running only the white train so line was slow but bearable. As far as everything else most line were less than 10 minutes or less. And I loved Dominator and thanks to you guy's and Gal's for the info on 4th and 5th row seats. As far as 305 no go need to lose some of my tool shed before I can fit in it...

Dominator is actually running well so far this year without the vibrations in the 2nd half that have been present the last season or two so that's a plus.I guess due to the valleying incidents the park is playing it safe by running only one train on backlot for the time being.

It has been atleast 4 years since I been down to the park . I am amazed as to what Ceder Fair is doing with the park. I am with you on the 1 train on Backlot but I am also curious on where they have the storage track at on that coaster??? Dominator had alittle Vibration near the end but not bad as people had told me. All together I think I am not going to regret buying 4 season passes.....

It has been atleast 4 years since I been down to the park . I am amazed as to what Ceder Fair is doing with the park. I am with you on the 1 train on Backlot but I am also curious on where they have the storage track at on that coaster??? Dominator had alittle Vibration near the end but not bad as people had told me. All together I think I am not going to regret buying 4 season passes.....

The storage track is just to the right of the station approach,basically behind the platform.

I was in row 4 on Dominator & fully expected the usual vibrations in the first flat spin off the MCBR but was pleasantly suprised to find the entire second half to be perfectly smooth....let's hope it stays that way.

So here is my trip report from last Monday (4/9). Sorry for sucky quality... I only had my phone that day.

IMG_0458.thumb.JPG.263bcc06ac80176fb2b1f77a482f748e.JPG

Walking into the park at about 9:30, there was barely anyone there!

IMG_0460.thumb.JPG.b643786cb7d96ac064b0231b7ac8ddbe.JPG

As you walk in the park, you are greeted by some pretty fountains. WindSeeker decided to pop into the photo too =)

IMG_0461.thumb.JPG.cdbec4a548801a3b452d259ae96533fe.JPG

Look at Intimidator 305, and it's awesomeness.

IMG_0463.thumb.JPG.d335ccfd88c4cbfddda034517a9541f8.JPG

This gives you most of Dominator's layout.

IMG_0465.thumb.JPG.e7a3ef271fd32190214a816dcd3e1b83.JPG

There's WindSeeker, looking all pretty in the Grove.

IMG_0468.thumb.JPG.46976670b1f9bc4e4c2bf17d30452267.JPG

There are 2, 300+ feet tall towers in this picture.

IMG_0469.thumb.JPG.cbd90c938b8ef1417eec7d1919015ad0.JPG

Intimidator dominates Anaconda.

IMG_0471.thumb.JPG.dbd8d7310ce32f0a8f1a22e4cfc9aac5.JPG

Anaconda might be a ride that most people hate (Including me), but it sure looks purdy over the lake.

IMG_0476.thumb.JPG.6e6c58209b9b2d00f7e4189b385cccdb.JPG

Woohoo! On my way to I-305! (It was amazing as ever!)

IMG_0477.thumb.JPG.b6c13f7a064b842c2039731b77d25e91.JPG

Kings Dominion's new hotness for 2012.

IMG_0478.thumb.JPG.f4b87a63fa96766e245bea3281f9ce00.JPG

When you are up this high, and it is a windy day, it is really frightening.

IMG_0479.thumb.JPG.51a9e9bedec33b9bfb36a913f1ece170.JPG

The sign for ya. This was, in my opinion, the best flat in the park. (Still haven't ridden Drop Tower)

IMG_0480.thumb.JPG.9ddc6f69671b4abe57d8c67f79cc307b.JPG

Drop Tower looked like this all day... =(

IMG_0485.thumb.JPG.d4e63de635aefc2c3b6c9a53cc694513.JPG

I hate you Shockwave. You don't get a ride from me today.

IMG_0494.thumb.JPG.42de26a714b895a8b022d391b311ab27.JPG

Volcano had a very long line. So, I didn't get t ride that today....

IMG_0495.thumb.JPG.4c73ca53a96076ab5d2641799387ad82.JPG

Woohoo! Inversions!

IMG_0507.thumb.JPG.969e46facc890e340b92fb1d74c8cabc.JPG

Another ride on I-305 and I will be done for today.

IMG_0513.thumb.JPG.5763c6c6f281e443ea116f47df4b1807.JPG

Dominator's cobra roll and I-305 in the background.

IMG_0519.thumb.JPG.ea09db45d417515b8bd4e5780a6ebdb6.JPG

Goodbye Kings Dominion =)

Yes, I also noticed Dominator was running incredibly smooth my first visit this season. There was no vibrations/rattling at all, and I sat near the back where it is usually the worst. I was impressed!

That's great to hear! Definitely looking forward to my first ride this season.

Yeah, I've never found a tower more intense than Drop Zone. I hear that the older-generation Intamins with the four-person cars are better, like Blue Fall over at Ocean Park. Lex Luthor at SFMM will probably outdo Drop Zone, not only because of the height but also because it's closer to the older-generation drop towers than the new gyros. But for now, Drop Zone is still the only ride to consistently scare me and take my stomach for what feels like forever!

Is the Drop Tower at King Dimonion really over 300 feet tall? I found the tower to be very weak (in terms of the sudden drop at the top) and not as tall as people claim.

Are you saying the sudden drop itself at the top is weak? That's just gravity, not sure if you're used to TurboDrops or something. It's definitely among the top drop rides I've been on.

Is the Drop Tower at King Dimonion really over 300 feet tall? I found the tower to be very weak (in terms of the sudden drop at the top) and not as tall as people claim.

And how did you determine this? By unrolling a very long tape measure from the top of the tower?

I think Drop Tower is a lot of fun (but I tend to like these rides in general).