TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Just noticed the Treasure Cave is closed. Future Planet Snoopy expansion in the making??

As crazy as this may sound, that was my favorite thing in the park at the time where I was too scared to ride Ghoster Coaster (then Scooby-Doo) but too short to do any other coaster. That cave has a LOT of sentimental value to me and I will be sad to see it go, assuming it DOES go.

Just noticed the Treasure Cave is closed. Future Planet Snoopy expansion in the making??

As crazy as this may sound, that was my favorite thing in the park at the time where I was too scared to ride Ghoster Coaster (then Scooby-Doo) but too short to do any other coaster. That cave has a LOT of sentimental value to me and I will be sad to see it go, assuming it DOES go.

Ever since Yogi left the cave it hasn't been the same....sad to see yet another piece of the park's history go by the wayside.

I'm hearing that crowds are quite large for today's opening....windseeker had a line at one point going all the way past the skycoaster,I dread what it's gonna be like come tomorrow when I'm down there.

Treasure Cave has been closed because it didn't meet ADA standards....

I wonder if they're going to try to bring it up to standards?It might not be structurally possible to do so however.

Edit: Got back from my first trip of the season a few hours ago....windseeker was great & not as scary as I'd feared it to be,the 45 degree tilt can really be felt in the outer seats up there but my only complaint is the rather short cycle time once at the top of the tower.

Crowds were light to moderate all day with FOF & I-305 having the worst lines of the day not made much better with fastlane,BLSC was really backed up so I skipped it,rebel yell southside was running great today & rides like new & grizzly ws running well today as well....I love it's new entry plaza made possible by DA's placement in the area.

Where exactly is the new entrance to Grizzly??

It took us a while to find it but it's indeed through the former arcade building,tht arcade was never busy so it's a really nice change & refreshing look to the area & you no longer have to hike a mile just to get to grizzly's station..

I'm looking at getting out here sometime in the next month. Can anyone who got to opening weekend tell me exactly how Fastlane works at KD- particularly, are there merge points for any rides or are they boarded not from air gates (I can't even fathom a way for that to happen on Volcano (not that I usually wait for it anyway), but am hopeful for Intimidator).

Thanks!

I'm looking at getting out here sometime in the next month. Can anyone who got to opening weekend tell me exactly how Fastlane works at KD- particularly, are there merge points for any rides or are they boarded not from air gates (I can't even fathom a way for that to happen on Volcano (not that I usually wait for it anyway), but am hopeful for Intimidator).

Thanks!

Fastlane guests board intimidator-305 from the disabled guest entrance & are then merged onto the platform.

If it's done the right way, it doesn't cause anyone any real distraction or annoyance, like my experience with the Flash Pass system. However, if it's done wrong, like letting people go up the exit ramp, choose their own seat (come on, you know they'll most likely pick the front), and not merge at the station, I don't like it. It annoys me when I'm all set to be the next to ride, and then I'm not able to. Especially bad when it's done to me 3 times in a row, like I had happen to me at Busch Gardens a few years ago. (Though I don't know if that was the same sorta thing. People went up to the exit with these passes and it was like a constant stream of people doing it.)

Is the queue still right next to the Go-karts? I always hate walking past them while getting on Grizzly.

That area is now the Grizzly and Dinosaurs Alive entrance plaza as the Grizzly queue has been cut in half basically. Overall it looks very nice!

Also, I was at the park opening day (Friday) and Saturday, and I can say Fast Lane is suprisingly being ran much better than I ever expected. I think what KD has come up with is completely fair and I don't see this causing many problems at all, unless they change it later on. Even on Volcano they were only accepting one "group" of people (those who were together) per train to keep the regular line moving (although that might be because the back 2 rows are closed).

I plan on posting a full length report (with a few photos) once I get unpacked and situated. Windseeker, Dinosaurs Alive, and Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia were all better than expected and there are tons of improvements throughout the park. And yes, what you've heard is true, the park was suprsingly packed!

Is the queue still right next to the Go-karts? I always hate walking past them while getting on Grizzly.

That area is now the Grizzly and Dinosaurs Alive entrance plaza as the Grizzly queue has been cut in half basically. Overall it looks very nice!

Also, I was at the park opening day (Friday) and Saturday, and I can say Fast Lane is suprisingly being ran much better than I ever expected. I think what KD has come up with is completely fair and I don't see this causing many problems at all, unless they change it later on. Even on Volcano they were only accepting one "group" of people (those who were together) per train to keep the regular line moving (although that might be because the back 2 rows are closed).

I plan on posting a full length report (with a few photos) once I get unpacked and situated. Windseeker, Dinosaurs Alive, and Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia were all better than expected and there are tons of improvements throughout the park. And yes, what you've heard is true, the park was suprsingly packed!

Looking forward to your TR & the pics....sure the new plaza looks great & technically it's the same distance from the entrance to Grizz's station but the fact that it's much more open till you pass the sign just makes it a much better walk IMO & the former arcade sure needed the new paint job.If it weren't for the $5 charge I would do the DA attraction but that's five bucks I'd rather hold onto for later.

I so wish I could've ridden windseeker at night just for the lightshow but alas I didn't get to thanks to being stuck with someone wanting to ride FOF....one thing that I don't really get is why the schedule is no longer printed on the park maps this year.

I went to KD Friday and Saturday, and the Fast Lane was handled better then I was expecting. Dominator and i305 have the people merge into the station. Volcano the Fast Lane people were seated first, but they were denied the front seat when they tried. I can see complaints with Volcano if the line is full and Fast Lane users keep riding it. I'm not sure how the other rides were handled, but it seems like you can't get the front seat with the pass.

We witnessed Fast Lane at Volcano on both Saturday and Sunday and it's a total disaster! As someone else mentioned, the back 2 rows were roped off for whatever reason already reducing capacity. Although Fast Lane users couldn't take the front, they were given free reign anywhere else. They let them in from the exit there and they were constantly filling the ENTIRE train with them (aside from the front and the 2 roped off rows). The already slow moving regular line was hardly moving at all. I certainly hope they figure out a better way to handle this at Volcano or they're going to have a lot of irate guests to deal with!

We witnessed Fast Lane at Volcano on both Saturday and Sunday and it's a total disaster! As someone else mentioned, the back 2 rows were roped off for whatever reason already reducing capacity. Although Fast Lane users couldn't take the front, they were given free reign anywhere else. They let them in from the exit there and they were constantly filling the ENTIRE train with them (aside from the front and the 2 roped off rows). The already slow moving regular line was hardly moving at all. I certainly hope they figure out a better way to handle this at Volcano or they're going to have a lot of irate guests to deal with!

Somehow, of all the rides for this to happen on, this surprises me the least.

Ask yourself, "If I could break up the Fast Lane Pass and buy it for just one ride, which would it be?" I'd guess that most people either said "volcano" or "Flight of Fear" as those tend to generate the longest lines. Volcano's been a known capacity nightmare for years.

While i sympathize with your frustration, In the first weekend of Fast lane, this was to be expected. Hopefully they'll find a better balance on Volcano, but in the meantime, the age-old advice still applies: if you want to ride Volcano with a minimum of wait, you need to hit it FIRST THING when the park opens.

'Course, now you could buy a Fast Lane if that doesn't work for you.

While i sympathize with your frustration, In the first weekend of Fast lane, this was to be expected. Hopefully they'll find a better balance on Volcano, but in the meantime, the age-old advice still applies: if you want to ride Volcano with a minimum of wait, you need to hit it FIRST THING when the park opens.

We did go there FIRST THING at opening both days and that's when all of this happened.