TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^Exactly. They have tons of room to expand and really don't have a reason to remove rides like Hurler and Shockwave.

Really, the only reason we will see them take out a ride, is because of astronomical maintenance costs. We all know what happened to Hypersonic!

^RIP Hypersonic even though in my opinion it was boring - even when it came out.

I would love to see them keep all the current line up and add to it. Everyone keeps saying they have the space and they do. I love how their rides are spread out over the park and not all on top of each other like some parks. The park is very well taken care of and I see nothing but good things happening for them in the future.

^RIP Hypersonic even though in my opinion it was boring - even when it came out.

I would love to see them keep all the current line up and add to it. Everyone keeps saying they have the space and they do. I love how their rides are spread out over the park and not all on top of each other like some parks. The park is very well taken care of and I see nothing but good things happening for them in the future.

You know,I see the DA entrance going behind windseeker & around Grizzly's far turn so I think that the go-karts will be safe from removal,at least for the 2012 season.

Should be interesting to see how management ever makes use of the land south of rebel yell/waterworks,that is if they ever put anything back there in the near future....with all that land does anyone think the park has the potential to double in size in the future?

I have always thought that with all of the so called room they have that this park could really expand into some kind of "destination" resort. Maybe a type of indoor water park resort, some modern hotels, and some sort of adult oriented entertainment district for year round opportunities. The possibilities are almost endless, and it is close enough to major cities to get guests on a year round basis.

You know,I see the DA entrance going behind windseeker & around Grizzly's far turn so I think that the go-karts will be safe from removal,at least for the 2012 season.

Should be interesting to see how management ever makes use of the land south of rebel yell/waterworks,that is if they ever put anything back there in the near future....with all that land does anyone think the park has the potential to double in size in the future?

Well Dinosaurs Alive!'s entrance is going in Old Virginia near/where Thunder Raceway is. On the park website it says "Location: Old Virginia" and "Entrance: Near Grizzly roller coaster" and they have a huge sign up advertising Dinosaurs Alive! Coming in 2012 in front Thunder Raceway now. Now there is a rumor going around that they might be getting rid of Thunder Raceway and Grizzly Arcade to make a brand new entrance for Grizzly (which is needed since the entrance is so hidden now compared to how it used to be) and Dinosaurs Alive. Athough I'm not sure why they would plow the Grizzly Arcade as I thought it would just be much easier and cheaper to keep it and remodel it and that could be the ticket booth and gift shop... Plus, it goes with the architecture already found within Old Virginia.

There are several places in the actual existing park footprint to build future attractions and to revamp (such as what they are doing with the WindSeeker addition). Considering the park hasn't "doubled in size" (ride wise definitely yes, but not actual size wise) since it opened back in 1975 I doubt the footprint will ever double of what it is today. Sure there is tons of land beyond WaterWorks but just think of all the awkward long paths that would be needed to get back there. The only thing I could possibly see going back there is more WaterWorks additions (A watercoaster through the woods would be amazing!), but even before that I think they should develop the land in between Rebel Yell/Ricochet and the kiddie water areas (I've always thought a multi-mat racer slide would be a perfect fit for that plot of land).

I'm kind of surprised the area in the immediate vicinity of the park didn't take off development wise compared to Kings Island. You would think there would have been several hotels and more restaurants built across the street from the parking entrance.

How far away is KI from Cincinnati?

KD is pretty much located in "middle of nowhere" territory where the closest towns are your typical interstate exits with the typical food, gas, lodging choices.

Fredericksburg and Richmond are about the same distance away (20-30 minutes) and DC is 90 miles north. Those areas are far more developed.

EDIT: Using Google Maps, it looks like KI's sorta on the fringe of Cincinnati's sprawl while KD's in the middle of nowhere, which might explain why KI's area is more developed than KD's.

Anyone know if the park sustained any damage from yesterday's tornadoes? I saw a report saying that a tornado had crossed I 95 near KD during rush hour yesterday.

The closest a tornado got to KD was in Louisa and New Kent (About a half an hour from both areas). So KD is fine

I thought one was near quantico, and really close to Kings Dominion, no?

There was a Tornado Warning that was located almost exactly where Kings Dominion is, but nothing touched down. They haven't said anything on their Facebook page either so I guess nothing happened..

EDIT: 100th post!

Edited by Austin11KD

Quick question...

Have crowds been pretty consistent lately? I'm gonna try to hit the park on the last Sunday in October (cousin is planning a wedding that Saturday in Maryland and that's definitely a perfect chance to hit KD on the way down).

HOS's crowds on Sundays pick up as the day goes on and then once it gets dark, everyone seems to vanish. I'm hoping KD's is the same way so I can get some night rides in.

Quick question...

Have crowds been pretty consistent lately? I'm gonna try to hit the park on the last Sunday in October (cousin is planning a wedding that Saturday in Maryland and that's definitely a perfect chance to hit KD on the way down).

HOS's crowds on Sundays pick up as the day goes on and then once it gets dark, everyone seems to vanish. I'm hoping KD's is the same way so I can get some night rides in.

Based on my one visit for haunt(on a saturday) this season I found the park to be packed from the minute we arrived & it only got more crowded as the day went on & progressed into the night....not sure what the crowds are like on sundays though.

Quick question...

I've visited the past 2 Saturdays. Both times the park was pretty deserted at opening, with most of the crowds being families. If you hit Dominator before opening, Volcano and Flight of Fear at 10:30, and Shockwave at noon everything else should be smooth sailing. Intimidator hasn't been getting any real line til the afternoon.

I am a bit puzzled that Dominator's third train was put away last Saturday- they had needed to put it on the week before, and I would imagine that the crowds aren't going to let up at all...

I used to think Grizzly was a waste of time. Ride it at night in the back, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Hey guys can you give me a review of Grizzly? Soe say its rough, others say its smooth, could you give me a review?

You havn't b een on Grizz yet? It's a helluva lot better than hurler that's for sure.

No, I was with my family, and we left at 3:30, because y family was tired. If it was my choice, I woudve said,"Hit Grizzly!", but it wasnt, still an awesome time, got to ride 9 coasters including: Intimidator 305 (2), Dominator (2), Volcano (2), Flight of Fear (1), Anaconda (1), Backlot Stunt Coaster (2), Shockwave (1), Rebel Yell (1), and Ricochet (1).