TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I'm very excited for KD's halloween stuff. I went there last year (for the first time) and thought the haunted houses were WAY better (scarier) than Busch Gardens. My favorite was the slaughter house one.

I can't believe they are still doing Elvira's Superstition... that thing is so old and not fun.

I'm very excited for KD's halloween stuff. I went there last year (for the first time) and thought the haunted houses were WAY better (scarier) than Busch Gardens. My favorite was the slaughter house one.

I can't believe they are still doing Elvira's Superstition... that thing is so old and not fun.

KD's Haunt was deffinintely better than BGW's HOS last year! Both of them have some great ideas up their sleeves this year and I can't want to see how they each turn out this year...

As far as Elvira's Superstition goes, atleast it is only for a month out of a year! Spongeboob has been in there for 9 seasons now. ONLY 1 MORE YEAR of that stupid contract!

KD's Haunt was deffinintely better than BGW's HOS last year! Both of them have some great ideas up their sleeves this year and I can't want to see how they each turn out this year...

As far as Elvira's Superstition goes, atleast it is only for a month out of a year! Spongeboob has been in there for 9 seasons now. ONLY 1 MORE YEAR of that stupid contract!

Yeah but then they'll probably be showing that DA promo film at a cost to guests.

Yeah but then they'll probably be showing that DA promo film at a cost to guests.

I think I rather have Spongebob than something that cost money.

MAJOR LEAK

http://www.kingsdominion.com/rides-attractions/ride-detail.cfm/ride_alias/WindSeeker/ride_category/Thrill-Rides

WindSeeker is a 301-foot-tall tower that spins riders nearly 30 stories above the Central Virginia Countryside. Seated in two-person swings that will allow their feet to dangle, riders slowly begin rotating in a circular motion as the swings ascend the tower. At the top, the swings reach speeds between 25-30 mph, flaring out almost 45 degrees from the tower.

WindSeeker will be joining Kings Dominion’s “300-Foot Club,” Intimidator 305, Drop Tower and the Eiffel Tower. These iconic and elite attractions help Kings Dominion stand tall above the rest as the Premier Amusement Park in the Mid-Atlantic.

Year Opened

Grove Section of the Park near Juke Box Diner

Ride Stats

Height – 301 feet

Diameter – 81 feet

Diameter with swing arms extended – 110 feet

Swing Arm Angle – 45 degrees

Seating

Number of seats – 32 two-person swings; 64 total riders

Restraint System – Individual over-the-head lap bar with interlocking seat belt

Capacity – 960 riders per hour

Speed

Rotation Speed – 25-30 mph (8 rotations per minute)

Ride Time – approximately 3 minutes

Cost

$6.5 million

Special Features

Arms are installed with an elaborate LED lighting package, which will make for a dramatic and exciting ride for riders and spectators.

On-board Audio playing 18 different music tracks during the ride

Manufacturer

Mondial, a Dutch-based ride manufacturer

Windseeker01.jpg.440e559324afe36053ad1ef8ff3efea4.jpg

Windseeker02.jpg.3bf0027e9255dbe912e14cf1001f9e2a.jpg

Windseeker03.jpg.8a122e6cdf859d337d56884a7d136ec0.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Not too surprising. I'd still prefer a razing of Hurler.

Just saw this on FB & wonder how anyone cracked the code into KD's website? It's definitely legit though as the renderings match that side of the park right about where el dorado is/was.....looks like I'll be definitely renewing my pass for 2-12 again.

Well that sure was predictable! I'm really excited for the ride and think it will be a great fit for Kings Dominion! I'm also glad to see the former XLC location getting some much needed TLC... Hopefully this brings some "life" back to that corner. Also, the lights on Windseeker are going to look great with the neon lights of Juke Box Diner!

We now have 4 attractions over 300 feet!

Well that sure was predictable! I'm really excited for the ride and think it will be a great fit for Kings Dominion! I'm also glad to see the former XLC location getting some much needed TLC... Hopefully this brings some "life" back to that corner. Also, the lights on Windseeker are going to look great with the neon lights of Juke Box Diner!

We now have 4 attractions over 300 feet!

Now if we can just get another launch coaster then we'd have two records at once.

If it's legit(I'm kinda having doubts based on the 2nd & 3rd renderings,as well as some of the wording in the description) then it'll be a good fit for that side of the park with a removal of hurler someday being the next step to revitalizing that side.

I've kind of been expecting this one ever since I heard Cedar Fair purchased three additional Windseekers. Kings Dominion is the largest park in the chain that did not get one this year, so it makes perfect sense to install one there. I don't think it's the best park for one, as the park already has several tall rides, but it might end up working well. I'm really interested to see where the third one goes, because if Worlds of Fun gets it all of the large Cedar Fair parks will have one.

Another Windseeker, what a surprise! These Windseekers may seem like cookie cutter attractions, but each one will have a different view. The view alone at 300 feet in the air will be worth riding a Windseeker at each park that has one, whether one has been on a Windseeker before or not.

Another Windseeker, what a surprise! These Windseekers may seem like cookie cutter attractions, but each one will have a different view. The view alone at 300 feet in the air will be worth riding a Windseeker at each park that has one, whether one has been on a Windseeker before or not.

Still no official word from the park just yet.

I'll bet they'll have to shut down every few cycles though...not for mechanical problems but to clean the ride every so often when someone craps their pants from being up there.

WindSeeker

WindSeeker is a 301-foot-tall tower that spins riders nearly 30 stories above the Central Virginia Countryside. Seated in two-person swings that will allow their feet to dangle, riders slowly begin rotating in a circular motion as the swings ascend the tower. At the top, the swings reach speeds between 25-30 mph, flaring out almost 45 degrees from the tower.

WindSeeker will be joining Kings Dominion’s “300-Foot Club,” Intimidator 305, Drop Tower and the Eiffel Tower. These iconic and elite attractions help Kings Dominion stand tall above the rest as the Premier Amusement Park in the Mid-Atlantic.

Year Opened

Grove Section of the Park near Juke Box Diner

Ride Stats

Height – 301 feet

Diameter – 81 feet

Diameter with swing arms extended – 110 feet

Swing Arm Angle – 45 degrees

Seating

Number of seats – 32 two-person swings; 64 total riders

Restraint System – Individual over-the-head lap bar with interlocking seat belt

Capacity – 960 riders per hour

Speed

Rotation Speed – 25-30 mph (8 rotations per minute)

Ride Time – approximately 3 minutes

Cost

$6.5 million

Special Features

Arms are installed with an elaborate LED lighting package, which will make for a dramatic and exciting ride for riders and spectators.

On-board Audio playing 18 different music tracks during the ride

Manufacturer

Mondial, a Dutch-based ride manufacturer

Dinosaurs Alive!

Dinosaurs Alive! is a multi-sensory and interactive dinosaur park that brings inspiration, science and technology together at Kings Dominion. Guests also hear the sounds and see the movements of 36 full-size creations made to replicate nearly every feature of the dinosaurs.

Old Virginia

Entrance

Near Grizzly roller coaster

Attraction area

6-Acres

Distance of walking path

3000 feet

Number of Dinosaurs

Interactive Dinosaurs

Types of Dinosaurs

Huayangosaurus Deinonychus Triceratops

Mamenchiasaurus Tenontosaurus Tyrannosaurus Rex

Ruyangosaurus Giganteous Hererasaurus Amargasaurus

Parasaurolophus Carnotosaurus Monoclonius

Ouranosaurus Baryonyx Dyoplosaurus

Olorosaurus Irritator Pachycepholsaurus

Pachyrhinosaurus Spinosaurus Albertosaurus

Kosmoceratops Allosaurus Yangchuanosaurus

Mojoceratops Stegosaurus Chasmosaurus

Scenes Pack Attack Predator Ridge

Fish Eaters Frills, Clubs, Platees

Predataor Trap Flash Flood

Kids Paleontological Dig Site

Dinosaurs Alive! is a pay-per-experience attraction and is not included with general admission or a season pass to Kings Dominion.

Manufacturer

Dinosaurs Unearthed

British Columbia, Canada

I think both of these were really obvious that they were coming to KD in 2012... But I am excited for WindSeeker and think Dinosaurs Alive! will be good for families.

One thing I did notice about the Dinosaurs Alive! attraction is that It doesn't mention anything about the 3-D movie... I know CP won't be getting one, and I just can't imagine many people paying $4 for a cheesy 3-D film (or $2 if you do the combo ticket). Maybe they weren't selling many 3-D movie tickets at KI? Also, it really wouldn't fit in like the one at KI does (Since their DA attraction is beside their Action Theater) since our Action Theater is on the other side of Old Virginia from where DA will be located. I'm fine with it (the movie) not coming to KD...

KD2012.jpg.f84bd7b0d126f6a4e80ca3b46e2efef7.jpg