TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Kings Dominion just updated their Facebook with this:

Kings Dominion

Earthquake update: With guest safety in mind, all attractions have been temporarily closed. There have been no guest or employee issues related to the quake. Stay tuned for updates related to rides and attractions re-opening later today.

EDIT:

Kings Dominion

Hurler, Dominator, flat rides and waterpark are now open. We will continue to update as the info comes in. thanks for everyone's patience

It lasted for a good 45 seconds in NoVa and a few pictures fell off of my wall. Someone in PA said they felt it. Hope everyone at KD was safe since the epicenter was 34 miles from Richmond, and 9 miles from Mineral.

I sure felt it up here in my area for a good 45 seconds or so.Latest update on the KD facebook is that most,if not all rides have now re-opened.Someone on FB posted that he was on anaconda's lift when the quake hit & that the ride really shook like mad.

Makes me wonder if a small quake hit on the 13th?I remember getting off Dominator in the evening & feeling the exit platform shake pretty bad between the station & the first set of stairs....and no a train wasn't passing by over the station flyby prior to the cobra roll at the time.

Makes me wonder if a small quake hit on the 13th?I remember getting off Dominator in the evening & feeling the exit platform shake pretty bad between the station & the first set of stairs....and no a train wasn't passing by over the station flyby prior to the cobra roll at the time.

Definitely not, I feel it wobble when I get off Dominator occasionally too. It is a bit of a weird feeling...

I personally live 130 miles from the epicenter and it shook us quite a bit (definitely the biggest one we've had here)! I know this sounds silly to you west coast people, but the fact that all the local schools where I live were evacuated to check for structural damage and things were falling off walls/shelves is pretty damn exciting for us Virginia people!

Oh, and for those of you wondering, KD is 27.5 miles away from the epicenter according to Google Earth.

Earthquake.gif.ae259295ee32e8bd4efa76af020a099a.gif

Edited by Intimidator305

That would be truly terrifying, being on a coaster or ride during an earthquake. Who knows what could happen? Consider yourself lucky!

As for me, I was sunbathing on a beach in Boston and I felt it....that's pretty intense (and the first quake I've ever felt!)

^If you're on a coaster, I imagine you wouldn't feel a thing. My mom was driving down 95 and had absolutely no idea there was an earthquake at all. Now, if you were on Drop Zone or the Eiffel Tower...terrifying.

Oh, and that bit of the Dominator exit path has been shaking really badly for a while. Just felt it yesterday, and it's very concerning!

^If you're on a coaster, I imagine you wouldn't feel a thing. My mom was driving down 95 and had absolutely no idea there was an earthquake at all. Now, if you were on Drop Zone or the Eiffel Tower...terrifying.

Oh, and that bit of the Dominator exit path has been shaking really badly for a while. Just felt it yesterday, and it's very concerning!

I wouldn't want to be walking on that section of the ramp should it happen to collapse.

I was at Kings Dominion today when I got a surprise earthquake. I had just gotten off the Dominator and was riding Boo Blasters when it happened..... man those targets were hard to hit. My mother was in the Ghoster Coaster station said the whole thing was shaking like mad and the Dominator e-stopped near the top of the lift. My friend and I didn't actually notice the earthquake was actually an earthquake in Boo Blasters it was just really hard to play. However, as we are walking around it suddenly there were people everywhere and all the rides were closed. Then we got the news and all the cell phones were tied up it was impossible to contact people.

They kept the park "open" though you could really only play games and eat for the first hour or so after the earthquake. They slowly started opening the flats so we road most of those. By around 4-5ish Rebel Yell, Hurler, Ricochet, Stunt Coaster started to come online and road them as they opened. Around 6pm Grizzly came up we road a couple of laps on that because there was NOBODY in the station. At 7pm... 1 hour from park closing Intimidator came online we dashed over there and road in the front row by the time we got off park was closed.

Volcano, Anaconda, Shockwave never started back up. Flight of Fear did start but we didn't get to get on it. However, EVERYONE that was in the park has a rain-check(earthquake-check) and can come back again on their tickets from today. We will be going back on Thursday. Tomorrow Busch Gardens....wish me luck!

^ Well, that was certainly a decent thing for the park to do. I wonder what page in the employee's manual the " What to do in the event of an earthquake" section was?

What's crazy is that in spite of that, people were complaining on their Facebook page that they wanted a refund. A REFUND! Seriously?!

What's funny is I had actually considered heading down to KD for a little while this morning before work. I'm not sure whether I would have still been there by 2, but it would have been pretty freaky to get caught on a ride during that. Just the 15 seconds I was still inside at home was terrifying wondering if the roof was going to cave in (before I ran outside). For reference, my house is 37 miles from the epicenter.

^ Well, that was certainly a decent thing for the park to do. I wonder what page in the employee's manual the " What to do in the event of an earthquake" section was?

What's crazy is that in spite of that, people were complaining on their Facebook page that they wanted a refund. A REFUND! Seriously?!

I don't think they should get a refund, because they opened back up most of the rides. Also, didn't they have 3 hours before the quake happened, they should've been able to ride quite of few rides