TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Well, I made it out to KD for my first time ever today and I can honestly say that it's one of my favorite parks. I left NY at 3:30 AM and made it to the park by 9. Basically followed the park guide and everyone's suggestions here and did Volcano first, followed by Intimidator. Then we just did whatever in a random order.

I'll post a quick experience but I have some pics of i305 that I'll post in a separate TR and write-up.

Intimidator: I rode it twice very early in the morning near the back and while I liked it, my initial thought was "wow, why do people praise this thing so much?" It was odd - on the first drop, even in the last row, I didn't feel anything. No butterflies in stomach or nothing. Then I rode it later in the day (btw, they added the second train in the afternoon! not sure if that's normal but it definitely sped things up) it was a OMFG experience in every row. Every part of the ride was way more intense. Went from like 7/10 in the morning to 10/10 later

We got one of the last rides in the evening and I have to say, they have a weird policy for the front row towards closing time. They basically made half the line move to other lines, but even then once the queue was closed, every row except the front was empty. And they just kept dispatching trains with only 2 people on them -_-

Also, I blacked out every single time except the last, when the train was 3/16 full and I sat in the 2nd row.

Volcano: launch was sudden and the 2nd launch was great too. We even waited 30 minutes for a second ride later in the day.

Dominator: pretty relaxing. That has to be the biggest loop I've ever seen, and the corkscrews had a real snap to them

Flight of Fear: pleasantly surprised by this. Waited around 20-30 minutes and went on it twice. I didn't really mind since it was indoors and there were fans/AC

Rebel Yell was surprisingly smooth, but didn't have much airtime (I sat in the second to last car). Hurler was pretty rough. It wasn't bad because it was slightly painful, but more because it was just really boring. Grizzly was pretty fun too. I didn't ride Riccochet, Anaconda, or Shockwave. I don't really regret not riding any of those except maybe Shockwave. I just found Green Lantern and Mantis to be so forceful on the legs that I was steered away from stand-ups

All in all, an awesome day with minimal waits

They need to make I-305 have lap bars instead of, OTSRs. I think we would have a little more airtime on the ride if it did have these. But, the way it flips you around, I don't know if it would be safe.

The key part of the phrase... With those insanely quick intense directional changes, people would be knocking into each others heads all the time! Plus, 305 has the best (and most comfortable) OSTR's I have ever rode with.

Well, I'm thrilled to report that my wife and I are heading down to Kings Dominion this weekend! We'll be visiting the park on Saturday and Sunday. I know many have posted that it can get nuts on a summer Saturday, but this is really the only time that works with our work schedules. That's why we figured it'd be best to do a package deal and go to the park 2 days. Even if Saturday is slammed, we should still be able to get on what we want over 2 days (or at least that's what we hope! ) I cannot get over how pumped I am to ride Intimidator 305! I literally have not been this excited to ride a "new to me" coaster since El Toro back in 2006.

I've already checked out the Park Guide on here and have a good plan of attack in mind, especially for Sunday. Saturday we will have to play by ear as we probably won't get there until about 1 or 2. Since there are many locals to the park on here, do you guys have any tips or suggestions for us? Feel free to post them!

Also, my wife likes riding the coasters, but if it's anything too rough she tends to get headaches that can put her out of commission for hours. Any thoughts on what coasters she should truly avoid? I was already thinking I should ride solo on Shockwave, Anaconda, and Hurler....how are the other 2 woodies?

Thanks in advance for any tips, advice, or answers! Most of all I'm thrilled to be able to head down to one last new park this season and ride one of the best looking coasters I've seen in a long time!

From the trip report on the last page: I thought that the redesign if 305 was meant to decrease the forces of the turnaround..? Were the forces significantly lower than last season, or are they relatively the same with the forces becoming less as the train climbs the incline? It's nice to hear that it's still forceful though! Can wait to get out there to ride it real soon!

I thought that the redesign if 305 was meant to decrease the forces of the turnaround..? Were the forces significantly lower than last season

I think they were more concerned about the higher than expected maintenance costs because I305 was burning through wheels like crazy. Correct me if I am wrong, but the rehab was more of cost thing, than a safety thing.

From the trip report on the last page: I thought that the redesign if 305 was meant to decrease the forces of the turnaround..? Were the forces significantly lower than last season, or are they relatively the same with the forces becoming less as the train climbs the incline? It's nice to hear that it's still forceful though! Can wait to get out there to ride it real soon!

The forces are still just as strong - they let up very slightly on the incline, but you're still greyed out just as much as before. And there's nothing unsafe about that - it was definitely a cost thing, I imagine.

Well, I'm thrilled to report that my wife and I are heading down to Kings Dominion this weekend! We'll be visiting the park on Saturday and Sunday. I know many have posted that it can get nuts on a summer Saturday, but this is really the only time that works with our work schedules. That's why we figured it'd be best to do a package deal and go to the park 2 days. Even if Saturday is slammed, we should still be able to get on what we want over 2 days (or at least that's what we hope! ) I cannot get over how pumped I am to ride Intimidator 305! I literally have not been this excited to ride a "new to me" coaster since El Toro back in 2006.

I've already checked out the Park Guide on here and have a good plan of attack in mind, especially for Sunday. Saturday we will have to play by ear as we probably won't get there until about 1 or 2. Since there are many locals to the park on here, do you guys have any tips or suggestions for us? Feel free to post them!

Also, my wife likes riding the coasters, but if it's anything too rough she tends to get headaches that can put her out of commission for hours. Any thoughts on what coasters she should truly avoid? I was already thinking I should ride solo on Shockwave, Anaconda, and Hurler....how are the other 2 woodies?

Thanks in advance for any tips, advice, or answers! Most of all I'm thrilled to be able to head down to one last new park this season and ride one of the best looking coasters I've seen in a long time!

Both of you should just skip hurler alltogether,unless you're asking for pain.Shockwave isn't too bad in row 1,car 4 & anaconda is a bit smoother towards the front but is a PAIN near the back.

Both of you should just skip hurler alltogether,unless you're asking for pain.Shockwave isn't too bad in row 1,car 4 & anaconda is a bit smoother towards the front but is a PAIN near the back.

Really? I think Hurler is better than Anaconda. But if Anaconda got new restraints, I think it would be better.

^Cut Grizzly out of your plan and we're on the same page! Can't nobody touch my Grizzly.

I second that!!! I dare anyone to touch my favorite woodie in the park in such a negative manner.

They can torch hurler & have JBD play "light my fire" as the musical score however. LOL!!

^Dude it'd be worth the experience El Torgasm provided me with. It overtook Intimidator 305 as my favorite roller coaster.

I make the 6-hour round trip to GAdv usually three times a year because El Toro is probably the greatest coaster to ever hit the States. But the old ones are still great too! Plus, they can fit a kick*ss Intamin prefab in all that space Hurler takes up. Call it Son of Hurler. Perfect.

^Dude it'd be worth the experience El Torgasm provided me with. It overtook Intimidator 305 as my favorite roller coaster.

I make the 6-hour round trip to GAdv usually three times a year because El Toro is probably the greatest coaster to ever hit the States. But the old ones are still great too! Plus, they can fit a kick*ss Intamin prefab in all that space Hurler takes up. Call it Son of Hurler. Perfect.

No thanks(to the ride name) but to the ride itself heck yeah!!!

Well CP just announced that they're getting next to nothing for 2012 so that may mean more capital for KD to work with...I so hope we get an announcement soon already.