TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Personally I don't think KD's getting much next year (maybe Dinosaurs if that did pretty well at KI despite the reviews from enthusiasts. I'm pretty sure the attraction is really popular with families).

I really think KD should do another major water park expansion and maybe open another entrance into the newer section.

A Windseeker tower sounds interesting, but CF is going too crazy on them. I say lay off the Windseekers and start adding other flats for a while.

I'd love to see a Tatsu/Manta-style flyer come to the park. Maybe take Hurler out and install one in XLC's old station. A new gen invert sounds nice too, but I'd love to see a flyer instead.

Personally I don't think KD's getting much next year (maybe Dinosaurs if that did pretty well at KI despite the reviews from enthusiasts. I'm pretty sure the attraction is really popular with families).

I really think KD should do another major water park expansion and maybe open another entrance into the newer section.

A Windseeker tower sounds interesting, but CF is going too crazy on them. I say lay off the Windseekers and start adding other flats for a while.

I'd love to see a Tatsu/Manta-style flyer come to the park. Maybe take Hurler out and install one in XLC's old station. A new gen invert sounds nice too, but I'd love to see a flyer instead.

I also doubt we will get Waterworks expansion, but I think it is going to be a flat, not Windseeker or HUSS GF, but maybe something like a Screamin' Swing.

That's never bothered me. Having the themes of Backlot and 305 in the Congo just simply irritates the crap out of me... They need to retheme half of the Congo into a "car" themed area.

Anyways, I've been at the park the past two days and just got home a few minutes ago. It was a good two days at the park despite the kind of warm heat... but let me say, this heat has KD's coasters running smoother than normal which caused me absolutely no headbanging on Dominator (during the second half like usual) since it was flying through the course.

Ride count Thursday 8/4/11 (12:00-5:00):

Drop Tower- 1

Rebel Yell- 1

Grizzly- 1

Beserker- 1

Dominator- 1

Boo Blasters- 1

Flight of Fear- 1

Intimidator 305- 2

Ride count Friday 8/5/11 (10:30-2:30):

Drop Tower- 1

Wave Swinger- 1

El Dorado- 1

Crypt- 1

Volcano- 2

Intimidator 305- 3

This trip brings me up to 40 rides on 305 for 2011.

Oh and for some reason my friend wanted to do the ring toss so I grabbed 3 rings and unfortunately won the 6 ft. GIANT Jamaican banana...

No signs of anything 2012 related yet. I was looking all over the park for markers...

Halloween Haunt advertisments are in full swing with flags in the entrance plaza, banners on International Street, and even a little set-up under the Eiffel Tower that is more than likely teasing one of the new scarezones or mazes. Dodgem has been closed since August 1st and they already have the Medieval Macabre walls going up in there. There also is a kind of new Halloween Haunt XI logo with flames in the logo instead of the typical eyeballs one.

The parks "Happiness is... Finding a Cure! Pink Days" looks like a success as well with TONS of Snoopys being bought and thrown into the International Street fountains. I bought some as well to support the cause, plus I figured I had a tiny chance to win the car. Everytime I was over there by the booth people were lined up to buy the Snoopys to throw them in the fountains.

No photo trip report this time from me, but here are some of the highlights that I mentioned. Enjoy!

254775_2016040598840_1178593747_31886670_7954142_n.jpg.d3af4f20abeae73c8e87e93f7e73ef46.jpg

Halloween Haunt XI flags are around the entrance plaza.

267273_2016046398985_1178593747_31886696_1556007_n.jpg.d19dc36b9680b44dbf30727f96629495.jpg

Halloween Haunt XI banners are up and down International Street.

223137_2016054439186_1178593747_31886739_6985992_n.jpg.0b47725476138669fc2f774c8eac5d65.jpg

New logo... Look at the "faces" within the flames. LOVE IT!

284343_2016040718843_1178593747_31886671_7328948_n.jpg.bcc2901fc34ed587616c55de5380e679.jpg

"Happiness is... Finding a Cure!" giant inflatable Snoopy.

285167_2016040918848_1178593747_31886672_7049926_n.jpg.e61e7be1879a797917b7ff1104d8b087.jpg

On the far side, that's where you buy your Snoopys to throw them in the fountains.

Edited by Intimidator305

That's never bothered me. Having the themes of Backlot and 305 in the Congo just simply irritates the crap out of me... They need to retheme half of the Congo into a "car" themed area.

That has also bothered me a lot.

They should move backlot over by 305 as it would fit the theme better...realistically we know that's not gonna happen of course.

That has also bothered me a lot.

They should move backlot over by 305 as it would fit the theme better...realistically we know that's not gonna happen of course.

Yeah re theme it to be a Nascar road course too. And open a Intamin Giga right beside I-305 called King 365 (Richard Petty themed). And there's your Nascar section.

I'm sure most of you have heard about Iron Wolf leaving SFGAm, do you think this could happen to Shockwave in the next year? It would make a little sense, Shockwave is a waste of money to run, its getting too dated, and nobody rides it. Do you think Kings Dominion will get rid of it or maybe they'll keep it to make it last as the oldest Stand-up in the world?

No, I strongly believe Shockwave will be around for atleast a few more years. John Pagel has said that the ride doesn't cost much to maintain. Plus, the ride was just painted this year which hints that they plan to keep it around atleast a few more years. Shockwave always has people riding it and a line. I've never seen empty rows on the train or a wait under about 10 minutes. Now I know the line can be blamed on the GP trying to figure out how to get loaded and unloaded, but still people ride Shockwave more than they ride some other rides in the park. The GP just thinks the whole concept of standing up is cool it seems. Also, KD has parts from KI's old standup for replacement parts if anything ever breaks or needs replaced...

If you buy tickets online from KD, do you need to have the credit card you paid with with you at the ticket gate that day?

Also, I have a choice between the $38.99 Pink Day tickets (have to specify which day you're going) and the $43.99 tickets (have to buy at least a week in advance but aren't limited to a specific day). I'm assuming the Pink Day tickets are the way to go? Only flaw is that if I get rained out, I'm screwed

Edited by JDo217