TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

i agree that the first half is great. after the MCBR it all falls apart, but really it's that weird "butterfly" element that's to blame. the corkscrew is actually fine. the corkscrew feels awkward nowadays because the MCBR brings the train to an almost complete stop, so it crawwwwwls through those final two loops. with more speed, the G's on those loops were a lot smoother. look at older videos of the ride, and they look pretty good.

Edited by greenspandan

Just went to the park (and going back tonight for the woodie side of the park, fireworks, and SSS) and the crowds weren't too bad. Dominator was a walk-on, other rides were 10min or so.... but I-305 was only running one train. I asked if they would put it on later in the day and the ride op said, "we only run two trains on weekends." WTF? The wait got to nearly 45min while everything else was 15min or less. Seems odd they'd do that for the ride that they still put on the front of their brochures and maps.

Great ride, though. Waited an extra 15min for the front seat the second time and it was awesome.

They had a decent crowd there last Wednesday too and I was shocked! I couldn't believe how crowded it was for a weekday when some of the schools hadn't even gotten out yet. It seems like KD is bringing in quite the amount of people this season... Let's just say, you won't see me there on a Saturday until Halloween Haunt!

Also, I've heard nothing but positive reviews of KD's Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular. And by the videos/pictures I've seen it might be the best one in the chain IMO. I can't wait to check it out!

I didn't get to ride I-305 until today, so I don't know about the version 1.0 or the 1.1 with trims on the first drop... but a front seat ride confirmed that there were no brakes at all on the drop. You could see where they used to be bolted down, but the brakes are missing now. Lots of graying-out on the big turn, but not any worse than the upward helix on Titan.

The one disappointment was the fairly heavy brake going up into the first bunny hop near the station. They were still fun, but you can just imagine the airtime there would be without the brake there.

Volcano had an issue with one of the trains early in the day. They filled one train, then a mechanic worked on the other one every time it came back to the station. It took him about an hour to fix the problem, during which they loaded only one of the two trains. I don't think the queue ever recovered, even after both trains were working.

The one disappointment was the fairly heavy brake going up into the first bunny hop near the station. They were still fun, but you can just imagine the airtime there would be without the brake there.

Yea, if I was going to nitpick this great ride, that would be my only complaint. With that said, even with the trim it's still in my top 5. ...It really is a great ride.

I didn't get to ride I-305 until today, so I don't know about the version 1.0 or the 1.1 with trims on the first drop... but a front seat ride confirmed that there were no brakes at all on the drop. You could see where they used to be bolted down, but the brakes are missing now. Lots of graying-out on the big turn, but not any worse than the upward helix on Titan.

Volcano had an issue with one of the trains early in the day. They filled one train, then a mechanic worked on the other one every time it came back to the station. It took him about an hour to fix the problem, during which they loaded only one of the two trains. I don't think the queue ever recovered, even after both trains were working.

This is why I so hope they'd add a B&M invert as capacity on volcano just can't meet the demands of a park the size of KD & to add to it the overall layout just isn't exciting to me anymore which is why I generally just skip it alltogether regardless of the wait time.

Just went to the park (and going back tonight for the woodie side of the park, fireworks, and SSS) and the crowds weren't too bad. Dominator was a walk-on, other rides were 10min or so.... but I-305 was only running one train. I asked if they would put it on later in the day and the ride op said, "we only run two trains on weekends." WTF? The wait got to nearly 45min while everything else was 15min or less. Seems odd they'd do that for the ride that they still put on the front of their brochures and maps.

Great ride, though. Waited an extra 15min for the front seat the second time and it was awesome.

This is why KD will always be on the porch.They had a chance to run with the big dogs they chose not to.I was not there last year for the TPR event when people booed,But I would have! Not for the trims on 305,But for the AWFUL service they provide! They make a lot of money to suck as bad as they suck!!!!!You build the third giga coaster in the world,And you still get beat by BGE? I hope Matt Ouimet comes in and fires all of them! OK park ,management I would not pee on them if they were on fire!!!They suck when it comes to service,I can't understand how they still have jobs.

This is why KD will always be on the porch.They had a chance to run with the big dogs they chose not to.I was not there last year for the TPR event when people booed,But I would have! Not for the trims on 305,But for the AWFUL service they provide! They make a lot of money to suck as bad as they suck!!!!!You build the third giga coaster in the world,And you still get beat by BGE? I hope Matt Ouimet comes in and fires all of them! OK park ,management I would not pee on them if they were on fire!!!They suck when it comes to service,I can't understand how they still have jobs.

There is so much wrong with your post that I am just going to give you the Jesus Facepalm picture and call it a day...

jesus-facepalm.jpg.b6bb1b57ad4d6c12eb17acce2088fd91.jpg

Edited by ernierocker

There is so much wrong with your post that I am just going to give you the Jesus Facepalm picture and call it a day...

if you enjoy poor customer service have fun standing in line! You wont see me there,I've got better things to do! Jesus saves!

if you enjoy poor customer service have fun standing in line! You wont see me there,I've got better things to do! Jesus saves!

So basically, you just said KD sucks, and said you have better things to do.

if you have better things to do, why exactly are you posting here?

Well, I was driving home from Dorney and passed KD so I decided to give it a visit and ride i305 3 times! I was expecting a larger crowd for a Sunday night but i305 was basically a walk on. Didn't check anything else out because I didn't have time.

After being at Dorney, I started appreciating i305 much more. It really is one of the best rides in the world!

Saving my money for a trip to Kings Dominion and an Intimidator 305 statix (coasterdynamix) this summer. It will most likely be a KD/BGW double header (since I have a BGW fun pass)!

Day 1: Go to BGW and ride all the coasters as many times as possible. Drive to my Grandpas house and stay the night there (he lives in Richmond.)

Day 2: Leave my grandpa's house and go to Kings Dominion!

I am PUMPED for Intimidator 305 2.0!

Was able to ride I305 for the first time on Saturday.

It really is an intense ride, no way you can compare it to Millennium Force due to the completely different ride experiences.

Was there saturday as well & man was it busy but the crews were doing an excellent job loading & dispatching trains save for the rebel yell crew as they weren't synching up the dispatches on both sides properly.

The Grizzly crew in the evening totally ROCKED!!! the guy on load was high fiving riders as they entered the station & the panel op was having a blast entertaining the whole station with her energetic spiels on the mic during load/unload & as per usual the ride itself performed flawlessly.While in the park I got the chance to meet the GM & tell her how my day was going & inquire about any new stuff for 2012,of course she wouldn't say much other than it's up to corporate as to what the park gets but it was great talking to her.She told me she was heading to KI this week...my guess is to check out windseeker,which she'd asked me if I'd ridden it & of course I havn't so I wonder if they're considering adding one soon at KD?

Ok I was harsh,(I'm bitter because)We had one day together as a family(We get to do it one time a year) It cost them a lot of money to do it.Time,gas,time off work. It was a very hot day! One train,Long wait. I talked them into KD.I was embarrassed at the way they performed! One of the worst days at a park I've EVER had!(Been to SFA) To hear that it is a rule that they only run one train during the week lets me know they are small minded,When they should be reaching for the stars!!!! Still to much Paramount in this Cedar Fair park! For the record I would pour water,peeing is rude! They could be better than they choose to be. My bad it looks like next year Hershey park .I'm no longer allowed to vote.Sorry to my family who spent a lot of money to have a bad day!KD you could be better and you should be!