TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Virginia's survived over 30 years with both parks in operation so I don't see what this debate is all about.

it's about bored people posting on the internet

I agree & we should be so fortunate to have two decent parks in earshot of each other when some people have to go out of their way just to visit the nearest park.

I'd heard from a friend who went this past weekend who said that there was an area of the park blocked off for construction not related to SSS.Does anyone else know more?Most likely he's confused on where in the park SSS is going so as a result he doesn't know why the central path is closed but I'll take a look when we go saturday.

I went to KD on sunday and it was super crowded. I arrived at the park at around 2:45 The lines for the coasters were the same as past weekends and the water rides had very long lines. Grizzly was amazing except for the tunnel of death. I saw I305 get stuck 4 times while I was there. I wasn't able to ride I305 becasue the person I was left was to scared to ride it.

Rides I rode:

Rebel Yell x2

Hurler x2

Grizzly x2

Anaconda

Drop Zone

Log FLume

Flight of Fear: In line at 9:00 pm got off at 10:13 pm

I wasn't able to ride I305 becasue the person I was left was to scared to ride it.

I went to KD on Sunday too and there were some crazy crowds. Only rode I305 3x (it seemed to break down everytime my friend and I got in line for it), Dominator 1x, and Grizzly 1x.

I lost my cell on Intimidator

I went to KD on Sunday too and there were some crazy crowds. Only rode I305 3x (it seemed to break down everytime my friend and I got in line for it), Dominator 1x, and Grizzly 1x.

I lost my cell on Intimidator

Was there saturday & man were they busy.

Grizz was running well but I will NEVER ride anaconda in the back rows again....that darn thing threw me around way too much even though the butterfly element ws less painful than in the middle or front.

I stopped by for an hour this morning on my way home from DC and got a couple rides on I-305 and one each on Volcano and Dominator. The park was empty with only a few school groups there.

I would've stayed longer but it's too damn hot in the Richmond area today!

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and will be going to KD on Wednesday, June 8. What kind of wait times can I expect for the major rides (Intimidator, Dominator, Volcano, etc.) on a weekday in early June? Any other tips or pointers I should know?

Hurlfest event info just posted on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=215741611781176

It's the return of HURLFEST!

Coaster Enthusiasts, join us as we celebrate the Roller Coaster!

9:20 am – 10:20 am: 1 Hour ERT Volcano and I-305

1:30-3:00 pm : Lunch (Hamburgers, Fried Chicken, Pork BBQ w/ Cole Slaw, Baked Beans, Potato Salad, Soft Drinks, Iced Tea, & Ice Cream Treats)

During lunch session:

Raffle Prizes

Special Starlight Gear

*must be present at the Picnic to be eligible

*must have a meal ticket to attend the Picnic

10:00-10:45 pm: 45 Minutes after general public ERT of Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster

For tickets, visit the link below and use the code: Hurl2011

https://www.kingsdominion.com/shop/shopping_corporate_partners.cfm

Just finished reading the pages and pages of KD vs BGW debate. I have a small interest in this because my work is shipping me to Richmond for 2 weeks in july and I would like to visit one of the parks during the weekend of July 23/24. I visited BGW in 2007, so Griffon would be something new. I have never been to KD, however, and that is the park I'm leaning toward. I may try to visit KD on the day of my arrival (monday july 18) and attempt to do the park in 2/3s of day. Would this be possible, or would anyone suggest waiting til the weekend to give myself an entire day? Would like to avoid crowds if possible, and if I do the monday thing, I just may attempt BGW on the weekend. Not sure if that would be smart either. Regardless, I will be alone and bored so anything will be welcome. WTH is there to do in this area besides KD and BGW?!?!?!

^You could easily get KD done in 2/3 of a day on a Monday. BGW would probably be packed on a weekend, but the crowd spreads out pretty well, and the ride crews move quickly more often than not. If you're looking for other stuff to do, there's historical stuff all around Richmond. Civil War and Revolutionary War battlefields are abound in this area. You can take the drive up to Washington if you want, it's about 100 miles north (just watch out for traffic). You could also go to Virginia Beach, which is pretty nice in the summer time.

Going to Kings Dominion on a summer weekend almost guarantees you a nice 2+ hour line for Volcano, a full Flight of Fear queue, and busyness everywhere else (Intimidator's hit-or-miss, it seems to me - one day there's no line there and other days it's just as bad as everywhere else. But at least it moves, and is worth it). I would most definitely go on a weekday, and just hope that the number of school and camp trips won't be unbearable. And I would definitely go to KD over BGW as a coaster enthusiast traveling to Virginia. I think Busch Gardens is probably very doable on a weekend day - make it Sunday if possible. And good luck!

KD is about 30 minutes north of Richmond and probably 45 min outside of Fredericksburg. There isn't much around unless you drive to those cities.

BGW's located in a very touristy area so you'll be able to find tons of things to do in the area. You've got the Historic Triangle plus tons of shopping. Virginia Beach is about an hour and a half to two hours from Williamsburg.

VA's a great state for history buffs, so if you're into that kind of stuff, you should check out the battlefields, plantations, and museums around the area.

^^Williamsburg to Virginia Beach can be driven in one hour with traffic permitting on the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel which tends to get gridlocked quite a bit. Going I-664 to I-264 can be done in one hour and a half.