TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

The way their ride crews move, that doesn't surprise me. Otherwise, I'm calling BS.

Nope, the crews were pretty efficient actually (why would I lie after having been to KD only once, what do I care about KD's reputation?). I like nice scenery and ambiance as much as the next person, but the novelty wears off quickly for me, and after a while I just want to ride rides. Having only 4 average to above average coasters (that offer similar experiences to coasters in other parks), and a few more OK rides (not including DarKastle) doesn't justify paying almost double the price of KD, in my opinion (even with DarKastle). I think BGW is a great park, and seriously hope 2012 puts it on the map a bit more, but until then I'd prefer KD every time.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

^^^ That is not the only reason. The Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown area and Virginia Beach area have become VERY popular tourist destinations over the past years, more than ever I would say... Plus, BGW is right outside some of the largest cities in Virginia (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, ect.) and KD is 20 miles north of Richmond and about 70 miles outside of the D.C. area.

Everyone has a different opinion... and mine is KD > BGW.

Oh I forgot Va discovered it has a beach! lol When we went to BG Sunday It reminded me a lot of what KD used to be!Look at what KD had before 1995 ,It wasn't off the charts,But it was all about family! All about stuff for family's to do together!My Mom does not like rides,But she enjoyed the shows and the safari,The train ride,Oh and good food! KD has not sniffed any of those things in years. I could get my Mom to BG,But she is done with KD:(

Paramount bastardized the park! Prior to their annoying movie related bs, the place was amazing. A mix of this and that, and a way to get out of the real world for a day or so. Hopefully CF can get it back somewhere near its roots. They need to find some old pics and whatnot and go from there.

We've got KD fanboys and BGW fanboys, both annoy each other. I admit I'm a little bit of a KD fanboy myself (not an extreme one) so I asked my dad. He said KD by far. But one of the reasons was because KD has less walking. Knowing him, that was probably the deciding factor...

Paramount bastardized the park! Prior to their annoying movie related bs, the place was amazing. A mix of this and that, and a way to get out of the real world for a day or so. Hopefully CF can get it back somewhere near its roots. They need to find some old pics and whatnot and go from there.

We should give it some time but at least CF has done more for the park in terms of big new rides than paramount would've....makes you wonder how Taft/KECO would've done during that same period? Maybe if they hadn't sold to paramount we might've gotten a decent invert instead of the one paramount put in.

We should give it some time but at least CF has done more for the park in terms of big new rides than paramount would've....makes you wonder how Taft/KECO would've done during that same period? Maybe if they hadn't sold to paramount we might've gotten a decent invert instead of the one paramount put in.

Yeah, that is kinda what I was going for. Paramount just kinda started ripping the heart out of the place that was part of my childhood. It would be nice to see some of the "family friendly" atmosphere come back. Thrill rides are nice, but you really need some overall unity to the attractions you have.

BTW, KD still beats out BG IMO!

I've enjoyed reading the pages of back & forth yammering about which park is better. I live 40 minutes from both parks in either direction, so I get to enjoy the best of both. If I want to get together with friends, ride a few rides, eat some darn good food and just relax, I will hit up BG. If I want to just marathon coasters on a slow day, I will go to KD. It all depends on what mood I'm in, Its great and I love both parks.

Having BGW literally walking distance from your house really spoils you.

I've only gone to KD twice in my life (2003 and 2004). I've gone to BGW about 1000 times. If given the choice to spend the whole day, I'd visit KD in a heartbeat because I don't visit very often. If KD was my homepark my opinion would be different.

Last time I went to the park, it was under Paramount control. The rides were great, but the theming/atmosphere felt ghetto and very carnival-like. Granted I could use Lake Charles and a nicer park with better atmosphere, but overall I had a great time and don't go to the park expecting Busch/Herschend-style theming. I'm pretty sure with the park rehab CF gave KD, the park isn't as ghetto this year and hopefully CF will invest a little more in making the midways/rides look nicer. On top of that, 305 alone looks like it's totally worth the occasional trip up to Doswell.

BGW is an amazing looking park and we do have four (soon to be five again) top-notch coasters and a ton of shows, but there really isn't much to do outside the major rides. I could easily spend an hour in the park on a nice day and ride everything I wanna ride.

All in all, you go to KD for rides/attractions. You go to BGW for shows and atmosphere. Both are great parks in their own right and I'd highly recommend visiting both regardless. Virginia's survived over 30 years with both parks in operation so I don't see what this debate is all about.