TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The GCI Mystery Project

Well, they've succeeded in making me check their facebook incessantly, if only they were getting some sort of ad revenue off this... They just updated again with another new rendering, this one even more advanced than the one posted today on the intern site. Now you can really see the cross-overs in action.

At this rate, it'll be completely revealed by Friday, or maybe tomorrow morning.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is kind of a stupid question, but could it be the rumored coaster for Morey's Piers? I mean, Elissa is right, they could just be tricking us with the terrian. Also, this is a very long gci, meaning I have never seen one that is so drawn out which makes sense basedf on the rumor that it will span over two of the boardwalks. Also, there are sections of the ride that seem to low, or ravenous, but those could be under the boardwalk as the concept art had quite a few underground parts. I am just saying that the GCI was rumord, and there has been nothing on that story so far. My second guess is Busch Gardens Europoe simply because they currently offer grover as the only coaster kids can ride, and GCI coasters can use the terrain quite well, however, I dont see any water as mentioned before, so there may be no rhyne interaction or I am wrong. It could go to Silver Dollar City, but I dont know as Ozzcat is still there, so unless this is VERY long term I dont see it. Just my two sense, but seeing as no one even suggested at Moreys yet, why not specualte?

I noticed someone guessed Kennywood (all KW fans would wish, and yes, they are getting a 2010 coaster) But looking at Google maps, KW looks like a match to me. Do I really think it... not sure. But we've seen parks do crazier things. Let me see if I can come up with some graphics to show you the similarities.

^Could you show specifically where in Kennywood you think the topography matches? I mean I get the whole "hilly, mountainous" thing but I really dont think theres room for a coaster of this size except maybe behind the Racer and Im pretty sure they woud have had to start clearing that out a while ago for this ...not to mention the whole "were already getting a coaster this year and dont have the money for two in two years" thing...

I don't know how accurate this is, and I've never been to Silver Dollar City, but a Facebook fan posted this:

I don't know the layout or terrain on ThuNderaTion, but if this is accurate then it's possible it could go to SDC. It would make sense, really, considering that the only metal beam-areas that haven't been crossed yet in the GCI renderings are the ones that this fan seems to think ThuNderaTion will pass under. But who knows!

I don't know how accurate this is, and I've never been to Silver Dollar City, but a Facebook fan posted this:

I don't know the layout or terrain on ThuNderaTion, but if this is accurate then it's possible it could go to SDC. It would make sense, really, considering that the only metal beam-areas that haven't been crossed yet in the GCI renderings are the ones that this fan seems to think ThuNderaTion will pass under. But who knows!

I'm telling you this makes a LOT of sense. SDC already has a GCI woodie that's been sitting there for 3 years now not doing anything. I can't think of any park they could move it to and it won't fit anywhere at SDC.

But if SDC salvaged the most expensive parts of Ozark Wildcat to build a new woodie they will either be able to build new coaster fairly inexpensively or have more money in their budget to do more with the ride since they don't have to pay for trains, lift motor, brakes, PLC, station air gates, and everything else that you can move to use on the new ride.

--Robb

I don't know where this thing is going, but I do know that I will be SUPER excited if it goes to SDC!

I'm trying to plan a trip to take my Mom down there and to Dollywood towards the end of the summer. I know she will love both of the parks, and I've been dying to get back. If this does end up at SDC, that is even more incentive to get this trip planned out!

EDIT: ^deathbydinn, do you realize that you have a link to your Coaster Counter page in your signature, but you have your list set to not be shared with the public?

^ Thanks for telling me that. I made the account on my iTouch when I got the app and it never asked about making the list public. Anyway I'll go on the site and change it. Thanks again.

Edit: I went into the settings, clicked to make it public, and when I clicked update nothing happened and it's still not working.

I've figured it out. Since all we have seen so far is 3d renderings, this ride is going to appear across the US and the world.... in a simulator!

Think about it, the reason they are only taking on 1 project this year is so they can work with the simulation company on getting the ride experience exactly right.

Everyone would want to ride this GCI terrain coaster and by putting it in a simulator, everyone can!!!

(sarcasm for anyone wondering)

Seriously though, there is absolutely a 0% chance that this is a practical joke. Interns are being put to work doing much more important things than playing jokes on enthusiasts. The interns there really earn their pay...

Interns are being put to work doing much more important things than playing jokes on enthusiasts. The interns there really earn their pay...

I have to respectfully disagree. I would consider playing jokes on enthusiasts a high priority when it comes to theme park and attraction planning. If I was running a roller coaster or attraction design company I would pay an intern a decent salary to come up with ways to mess with the enthusiasts and keep them guessing while we all laughed our asses off at the office reading the resposnes!

I'm telling you this makes a LOT of sense. SDC already has a GCI woodie that's been sitting there for 3 years now not doing anything. I can't think of any park they could move it to and it won't fit anywhere at SDC.

But if SDC salvaged the most expensive parts of Ozark Wildcat to build a new woodie they will either be able to build new coaster fairly inexpensively or have more money in their budget to do more with the ride since they don't have to pay for trains, lift motor, brakes, PLC, station air gates, and everything else that you can move to use on the new ride.

--Robb

Makes perfect sense. Judging by these CGI pictures, this'll probably be one of the more expensive GCIs out there, just considering its length and whatnot. So moving the expensive parts over from Ozark Wildcat would easily take that price down, which could be why GCI is able to create such a monster in whatever SDC's budget is. Sounds like a plan to me!

^^Just to point it out, the metal beams still cross-less are still the ones that T.N.T. would pass under...I don't know about that hill in the park, or any part of the park, really, but I'd say it's looking more and more like SDC's getting an awesome GCI!

I'm not sold on the SDC theory, at least not the drawing that has it in the area around Thunderation. For anyone who has been to the park you'll remember that Thunderation's station sits at the top of the ride and it starts doing the coaster portion right out of the station (i.e., the station is at the highest point of the ride). This layout doesn't make sense for that area unless somehow that lift hill is at the middle or end of the ride. That area is really steep and it wouldn't make sense to have the queue going all the way down the hill away from the park.

At SDC the park is located at the top of the hill, not the bottom. Does that make sense?

Official release:

Great Coasters and China OCT Partner for Major Woody

February 16, 2010

Great Coasters International, Inc. has been chosen to design/build a 4,817 ft (1,468 m) wood coaster for China OCT's Knight Valley. This behemoth will be GCI's largest single track coaster yet and will feature a 147 ft (44.8 m) lift and a wild 131 ft (40 m) triple-down first drop. Beginning the ride with a castle fly-through, the ride also has an exciting station fly-through (often a GCI signature), a station fly-by, and 80 degrees of banking. All of this is experienced while riding two Millennium Flyer trains, which are now the gold standard for wood coaster trains.

This amazing ride will open late this year, and GCI Coasters continue their reign as the biggest bargain in the business.

http://www.greatcoasters.com/?p=news&s=archive&id=6