TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2010 Winter Olympics

SharkTums

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is, Rush didn't want to "lip sync" so may have turned down the offer to perform.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

But ... you can't tell me "Closer to the Heart" wouldn't have been a great way to close the games.

For those of you who saw the NBC coverage, did they cut the Ceremonies for "The Marriage Ref"? Because I didn't see Nickelsuck at all.

Oh, and best line ever muttered by Bob Costas (said last night): "The always enjoyable giant inflatable beaver".

Classic.

^^They switched over to "The Marriage Ref" (which was HORRIBLE AND NOT FUNNY IN ANY WAY) at 10:30 here, then local news, then the rest of the closing ceremonies. Which I thought was pretty idiotic programming, but given the decisions that NBC made for broadcasting the Olympics, I was not surprised. So there was Nickleback and other random musical acts, and then the whole thing just sort of...stopped. Seemed like an odd ending for the ceremony.

And I'll agree that no Rush was lame!

dt

^ Yeah, idiotic programming, but coming from NBC it doesn't surprise me.

And I will concur about the stupidness of The Marriage Ref. I kept it on for a few minutes and then it went away.

As for Rush ... they are Order of Canada for crying out loud, they are pretty much Canadian Royalty. The Olympic Committee should have been bending over backwards to get them to perform.

^Nah, they write their own songs, and actually can play their respective instruments. Which is unlike almost all other music that's popular now, therefore it would have greatly confused the audience.

I still like someone else's idea that the torch lighting ceremony should have consisted of Rush playing the 2112 overture, and then a flaming drumstick is tossed into the torch, lighting it. That would have been amazing...

dt

How about.... maybe Rush wasn't available? It's possible, but who knows? Flaming drumstick would be a good one Dave, lol.

I think they way they started the Closing Ceremonies with the lone cauldron stick FINALLY being raised into position (and lit, thereby re-lighting the cauldron back up) was very funny. We loved it, and the crowd enjoyed it. too. It set the (fun) tone as far as we were concerned, of the evening, prior to all the musical acts, after the ceremonies were "officially" over (flags lowered, passed on, done).

And that Production Number of "All Stuff Canuck" was too too fun. Reminded me (thankfully only briefly) of that production disaster the Oscars tried to pull of a couple of decades ago (Rob Lowe and Snow White, remember?).

Only this was soooooooo much better, LOL!

Congrats to all involved. It was great.

I'll agree that RUSH actually playing their instruments would have confused the audience to no end. You'd think that lip-syncing to a song wouldn't be very hard - it blew my mind last night when they couldn't keep the timing down at all.

But from new info I've been hearing, RUSH was approached to play at either the opening or closing ceremonies, but ended up turning it down because they were too busy in the studio recording, and didn't want to drag out all the equipment to play one or two songs. But at least they were invited to play, and not just shunned entirely.

^^ Yeah, I had heard the "in the studio" rumors too. Neil and Alex both mentioned late last year that they were going to be in the studio, but who knows if they actually are.

The rumors of a tour this summer are still floating around as well, I hope it's true. I'd rather see the boys live on stage for 3 hours than for 3 minutes tape-delayed from Vancouver.