TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2010 Winter Olympics

SharkTums

Ok.. and now a word about figure skating....

Like Greg said, I can remember as a kid the "evening" broadcast of the Olympics ended at 11 (eastern) and then they had the "recap" stuff after the 11o'clock news. I also remember (back in the good old days when ABC broadcast the Olympics and the moderator was Jim McKay-Jesus, I am getting OLD!) when major events like the figure skating competitions dominated the broadcast, with only short breakaways during warm ups. This constant juggling back and forth between different events, only to bring us one or two skaters at a time (that NBC thinks we WANT to see), with the final skaters in the 11 pm hour, really sucks! I have missed the pairs and men's top competitors because my ass has been asleep in the chair. I get up for work at 5:30 and the past two nights I have had to fight to stay awake past 10, only to wake up at about 11:15 to find out I have missed almost everyone I wanted to see!!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm definitely not a fanboy of curling..I don't even know the rules or anything haha.. But I've thought lots of things didn't require physical fitness when it did. Like going dirtbiking for the first time; I was so sore the next day. I'm also all for making fun of the weird sports though, but deep down I have a lot of respect for it and don't like to make assumptions. Just how some of you get really mad when a "gp" makes an assumption on a roller coaster company or something and they turn out to be wrong.

Anyways I was watching the speed skating the other night when the three Koreans were in the lead and two of them crashed. Even though the Americans won 2nd and 3rd I felt pretty bad for the Koreans...

Just how some of you get really mad when a "gp" makes an assumption on a roller coaster company or something and they turn out to be wrong.

Mad? No, it's funny to hear the guy behind you in line talking about the "500 foot coaster in Japan" or how the water dummies got decapitated when they were testing Maverick.

Just how some of you get really mad when a "gp" makes an assumption on a roller coaster company or something and they turn out to be wrong.

Mad? No, it's funny to hear the guy behind you in line talking about the "500 foot coaster in Japan" or how the water dummies got decapitated when they were testing Maverick.

Well laughing, or whatever. Just saying when you make assumptions about something you don't know a lot about you TOO might have people laughing at you. You don't wanna be that person do you?

Not to mention that someone saying there is a coaster that's 500 feet tall isn't that crazy of a thing to say. It's not like the average person is going to look up stats on a roller coaster they heard about. It's hard to guess how tall something is if you don't have other things to compare it to. I too would believe a roller coaster was 500 feet tall if I weren't so into them

Well I'm definitely not a fanboy of curling..I don't even know the rules or anything haha.. But I've thought lots of things didn't require physical fitness when it did. Like going dirtbiking for the first time; I was so sore the next day.

Seriously, you underestimated the strain you'd put on your body by riding a dirtbike? Hmmm.

Perhaps you need to start using the scale I use to determine a questionable "sport" or a game's level of physical fitness needed. I call it the Octogenarian Scale. Just look at something and ask yourself, "Can an 80 year old play this?" If the answer is yes, then it's not very physically demanding, and possibly not worthy of being an olympic event.

Some random examples:

Golf- Yes, 80 year olds can, and do play this every day.

Bowling - Yes, they can, and they do.

Dirtbiking - I'm gonna be honest and say I haven't seen many octogenarians pulling off the "double pits to chesty" recently.

Bass Fishing - Yes, and sadly, many consider this a "sport."

Shuffleboard - Goes without saying.

Nascar - Have you seen old people drive?

Curling - While their replaced hips may not allow them to look like a pro when releasing the stone, I'm gonna say it's not impossible for them to play.

On a side note, I was happy to see the female snowboarder fail again.

Scott "I still like Curling though" B.

Well I'm definitely not a fanboy of curling..I don't even know the rules or anything haha.. But I've thought lots of things didn't require physical fitness when it did. Like going dirtbiking for the first time; I was so sore the next day.

Seriously, you underestimated the strain you'd put on your body by riding a dirtbike? Hmmm.

Perhaps you need to start using the scale I use to determine a questionable "sport" or a game's level of physical fitness needed. I call it the Octogenarian Scale. Just look at something and ask yourself, "Can an 80 year old play this?" If the answer is yes, then it's not very physically demanding, and possibly not worthy of being an olympic event.

Some random examples:

Golf- Yes, 80 year olds can, and do play this every day.

Bowling - Yes, they can, and they do.

Dirtbiking - I'm gonna be honest and say I haven't seen many octogenarians pulling off the "double pits to chesty" recently.

Bass Fishing - Yes, and sadly, many consider this a "sport."

Shuffleboard - Goes without saying.

Nascar - Have you seen old people drive?

Curling - While their replaced hips may not allow them to look like a pro when releasing the stone, I'm gonna say it's not impossible for them to play.

On a side note, I was happy to see the female snowboarder fail again.

Scott "I still like Curling though" B.

But to do curling on an olympic level? I mean that's the best of the best, and you need every single little advantage when you're in the olympics. When you're physically fit you can do things a lot better.. Like you have more balance and I'm sure there are little things like that when you need to put a perfect amount of force on that thing you push. Yes I know it sounds funny to hear that you need to be really strong to do something that's really easy, but when you're strong everything comes a lot easier. Even things like throwing a frisbee well. Anyone can play that game...Anyone can also speed skate. Doesn't mean they will be good at it.

Also Nascar... All the drivers look really fit to me.. And that's probably because when you're racing at the very edge of what your car can handle, you need to be extremely precise with how to move your wheel. A little too much and you are going to spin out at those speeds. Which is why being fit could benefit you in Nascar. You have better control if you're strong.

And yes, dirtbiking is like skiing but with huge weights on your poles. As long as you're actually doing something, and not just riding back and fourth on level ground. When you do things on a dirtbike you need to be able to control your bike and toss it around...Dirtbikes are heavy

phazan - you either like hearing yourself talk or you are not reading/comprehending. BeemerBoy never said any of the top notch players in these "sports" are not more talented or better conditioned to perform these activities.

He is questioning the labeling of Curling of a Sport. He never said the Olympic athletes are not skill in this discipline.

Should we consider the following activities to be Sports?

Texting

Extreme Eating

Holding your breath underwater

Standing on one foot eating donuts

Each of these takes practice to improve one's skills and proficiency, but I would never consider people competing in these disciplines to be athletes.

phazan - you either like hearing yourself talk or you are not reading/comprehending. BeemerBoy never said any of the top notch players in these "sports" are not more talented or better conditioned to perform these activities.

He is questioning the labeling of Curling of a Sport. He never said the Olympic athletes are not skill in this discipline.

Should we consider the following activities to be Sports?

Texting

Extreme Eating

Holding your breath underwater

Standing on one foot eating donuts

Each of these takes practice to improve one's skills and proficiency, but I would never consider people competing in these disciplines to be athletes.

You guys don't seem to get it. I'm talking about how being fit could play a role in how well you can curl. How is that so hard to understand? I mean I'm not trying to be a jerk but...I wrote a huge post about how being fit helps with a lot more things than people think but you guys keep telling me that you admit curling takes a lot of skill..which doesn't have anything to do with what I have been saying. Am I not wording things right?

You guys don't seem to get it.

I wrote a huge post about how being fit helps with a lot more things than people think but you guys keep telling me that you admit curling takes a lot of skill..which doesn't have anything to do with what I have been saying.

That means, you are arguing a point that no one here has disputed. Congratulations you win, it is common sense that 99% of what you do in life can be done more easier if you are in better physical condition.

Just so that I can win also, I would like to state that ice is cold and when it warms up it becomes wet.

I have to go, Curling on on right now!

You guys don't seem to get it.

I wrote a huge post about how being fit helps with a lot more things than people think but you guys keep telling me that you admit curling takes a lot of skill..which doesn't have anything to do with what I have been saying.

That means, you are arguing a point that no one here has disputed. Congratulations you win, it is common sense that 99% of what you do in life can be done more easier if you are in better physical condition.

Just so that I can win also, I would like to state that ice is cold and when it warms up it becomes wet.

I have to go, Curling on on right now!

You need to read a couple pages back. This all started with parktrips saying that curling doesn't require you to be fit. And then I said don't be so quick to make assumptions about something like that..Then some people disagreed with me and backed up parktrips on his possibly ignorant statement. I have been saying this whole time that I believe olympic curlers are in tip top shape because they need every possible advantage....I don't even see why anyone would disagree with me on this. It seems like comon sense.