TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2010 Winter Olympics

SharkTums

I feel like I am the only person that did enjoy the opening ceremonies last night. I did try to watch Beijing's, but I fell asleep. I seriously thought it was boring.

I was waiting for Celine Dion and Shania Twain to perform, but something tells me they will perform in the closing ceremonies. It would be a catastrophic if they didn't have the two biggest Canadians ever to perform.

I'm also glad that Georgia decided to march in with the other countries. I'm sure the standing ovation was a bit emotional for them, and I hope it lifted their spirits a bit during this tragedy.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The openingceremonie was okay. I always find those things a bit boring, with some highlights that are cool (the wales looked awesome!). They did use a lot of "old" music though.. I mean, Hallelujah? Although a beautifull song, it is old and done alot.

We just got our first gold medal!!!!! Off course with Speed Skating

^Were you watching along with the entire population of the Netherlands? Cause that's what we were led to believe by our US commentators. They basically said that every dutch person on Earth would be watching that race and anything less than gold would be a grave disappointment.

As for the events so far today...I didn't remember Ski Jumping being so boring. I mean, it seems like it should be a lot more exciting but it's just not. I think they should just retire it and make the Aerial performers start using bigger ramps!

As for the events so far today...I didn't remember Ski Jumping being so boring. I mean, it seems like it should be a lot more exciting but it's just not. I think they should just retire it and make the Aerial performers start using bigger ramps!

It's definitely not the most exciting event to watch, and I'm pretty sure that if I tried ski jumping I would end up having an accident in my spandex. That stuff is nuts, they fly well over the length of a football field IN THE AIR!

I loved the ski jump. The Swiss dude went about 354 feet through the air. And that's the "short" jump. Coaster enthusiasts debate over what's real airtime. That is the *real* airtime. And the top guys are so graceful.

Yeah, I don't think it would be a great thing to watch much more than every 4 years though.

Canada still has no golds. I would post Nelson again, but they'll probably get one soon.

I'm just disappointed that RUSH didn't perform during the Opening Ceremony like they were rumored to. Apparently they were there for the Ontario portion, but it was cut due to sensitivity after the accident. Understandable, but disappointing.

And I'm shocked that it took an accident of that caliber to prompt changes to the end of the Sliding Center run. It's great that they've added the wooden wall to keep people in the trough, but you'd think that someone would have realized sooner that they'd need it...

^Were you watching along with the entire population of the Netherlands? Cause that's what we were led to believe by our US commentators. They basically said that every dutch person on Earth would be watching that race and anything less than gold would be a grave disappointment.

For all the sportsevents that are being held during the Olympics, Speed Skating is by far the most populair sport here in Holland. We always expect to get our gold medals at those events. And yeah, everyone expected gold from Sven Kramer. The pressure on him was huge! He was the only one to be able to lose, everyone else could only win. And hes only 23 years old.

According to the first statistics 4.7 million people watched the event live. Considering Holland only has a population of 16.5 million, its a pretty big number. And off course the skatingarena held a lot of dutch supporters (including an orchestra). We also have a "Holland House" somewhere in Vancouver, were all the sporters are being honoured by the dutch. Thats always a really big party, with our next King and Qeeun just partying along with all the others

There's going to be riots in the streets of Vancouver if they don't win the gold in Hockey!

The Olympics have already brought riots to Vancouver.

olym1.jpg.8b84e78aadcdfff0fe386f868bc92796.jpg

Excuse me, sir. Do you know where I can find some of that delicious milk in a bag?

olymp2.jpg.22cc2ad10dbfffa3089f87a445b7c533.jpg

I sure hope Timmy's is open late tonight after they bail me out, eh.

I wish I could find better photos. Anyway, a group of idiots smashed random private property downtown that had little to do with the Olympics.

A couple of my thoughts:

Opening Ceremonies:

They looked GREAT on TV. And the two friends of ours that were actually there both said it was one of the most amazing events they had ever been to. As for the Cauldron lighting, they said they didn't even realize there was a problem.

My thoughts on the Luge thing:

They keep saying that the track had NOTHING to do with the accident, putting it down to an inexperienced Luger. If that's the case ... WHY are you moving the starting line???

I get the new wall ... it should have been there in the first place and this might not have happened. But IMO, the luge is BORING now. With most winter Olympic sports, there is an inherent danger and "extremeism" involved. MUCH more than the Summer games. This is why we love them. Not to see people crash, not to see people die, to see people go FASTER, HIGHER. Sure ... we enjoy the crashes ... and then seeing people get up and walk away.

This is why NASCAR is so popular. And anybody who tells you different is lying to themselves.

And finally ... my thoughts on NBC's Coverage:

It's ridiculous for those of us on the West Coast. It's like you have to avoid EVERYTHING if you don't want it spoiled for you. This includes MSN, Yahoo, Facebook and Twitter. Otherwise it's going to get spoiled for you. Not to even mention the fact that the other channels that are showing it (CNBC, MSNBC, etc) don't come in HD for us (Verizon FIOS). Watching sports in non-HD and not LIVE is not something I particularly enjoy and shouldn't have to put up with.

It's ridiculous for those of us on the West Coast. It's like you have to avoid EVERYTHING if you don't want it spoiled for you. This includes MSN, Yahoo, Facebook and Twitter. Otherwise it's going to get spoiled for you.

This is hardly a new problem. heck that's why they did swimming in Beijing early in the morning, so it could be live in primetime here in the states...

Not to even mention the fact that the other channels that are showing it (CNBC, MSNBC, etc) don't come in HD for us (Verizon FIOS). Watching sports in non-HD and not LIVE is not something I particularly enjoy and shouldn't have to put up with.

Check it again, they just added MSNBC HD here a few few days a ago. And not sure if we had it before since I don't have HD channels, but we do have CNBC HD too.

My thoughts on the Luge thing:

They keep saying that the track had NOTHING to do with the accident, putting it down to an inexperienced Luger. If that's the case ... WHY are you moving the starting line???

To me, that decision is akin to coasters being retrofitted with updated restraints or something after a large rider falls out, like SRoS. Was it the coaster's/track's fault the person died? No, it was human error. I hate to say it, but I have a feeling it was more for the image or the "illusion of safety" to move the starting line and even add the wall to an extent. Yes, those will help keep something disastrous from happening like the Georgian luger, but 999/1000 times that won't come into play. In the same way the new restraints are unnecessary for almost all cases as well.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the media is downplaying that guy's actual skill on the track. Apparently he was a top 50 luger worldwide; yet all I hear about is his young age (implying inexperience) and his inability to correct his error. It just feels like he's not getting his due credit for how good he really was. You don't have to be a novice to lose control--look at Dale Earnhardt. Stuff just happens. It sucks, but it happens.

It's ridiculous for those of us on the West Coast. It's like you have to avoid EVERYTHING if you don't want it spoiled for you. This includes MSN, Yahoo, Facebook and Twitter. Otherwise it's going to get spoiled for you.

This is hardly a new problem. heck that's why they did swimming in Beijing early in the morning, so it could be live in primetime here in the states...

That's a little bit different given the major time difference. The pacific time zone makes live coverage a lot easier...

oh I understand, if anything that makes it more pathetic/inexcusable. But having to avoid the internet to avoid getting olympic results is just a part of life these days =/

Just watched some mogul action... I love moguls. Just when I get to thinking "hey now there's a winter sport I can participate in" they go and throw a back flip or 360 spin in the mix

^ There's always Curling, Joe. Or as I like to call it, shuffleboard on ice.

So I heard that the Canadian women beat somebody 18-0. So much for the "olympic spirit," I guess.

You don't have to be a novice to lose control--look at Dale Earnhardt.

Eh, not so sure that was the best comparison. Your overall point was valid, but technically, Dale's rear bumper was clipped as he moved down the track in an attempt to block the driver behind him. That's what led to him losing control of his car, which in reality no one could've recovered from.

I haven't paid much attention to the circumstances and arguments following the luge crash, but after watching the video (thanks, Elissa), there's a couple things that come to mind. First, yes, the location of the poles seems a bit odd, and perhaps stupid. Second, even though the chances of something like this happening are pretty remote, when designing the track, you should still account for ANY chance of disaster happening. And finally, the first solution I could think of involves something I remember seeing many times before in downhill skiing....protective "netting" of some kind.

When a downhiller crashes and veers off course, you typically see them end up in some type of netting which stops them. It's still a violent crash, but it usually prevents death. Perhaps something similar could be incorporated into the design of the luge/bobsled track?

^ That team that got beat 18-0 had beat a team 82-0. So I don't feel TOO bad for them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Canada-sets-record-18-0-as-women-s-hockey-face?urn=oly,219527

Before you shed a tear for the Slovaks, keep in mind they're the nation that defeated Bulgaria by the score of 82-0 in an infamous game in 2008.

Just watched some mogul action... I love moguls. Just when I get to thinking "hey now there's a winter sport I can participate in" they go and throw a back flip or 360 spin in the mix

Yeah, I really enjoyed the moguls as well. Hannah Kearney looked amazing on her two runs. Kind of mind blowing how perfectly she was landing after the aerials.