TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2010 Winter Olympics

SharkTums

So we're very close to the start of the games. I figure we can use this thread to keep updated on medals, events, and random olympic news.

I gotta say, did anyone see the 'interview' with Bode Miller today? That guy was a huge ass in Torino and he seems just as obnoxious and stupid this year. I pretty much hope he crashes and burns.

Winter Olympics are never as popular as Summer, but they're fun to watch...what are your thoughts?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to watch the opening ceremonies. Especially with all the talk and speculation over who is going to light the torch; people think Gretzky, but a lot people want the mother of Terry Fox.

It'll also be interesting to see how the weather plays out since it's been warmer than usual in Vancouver and surrounding areas. It's been all over the news that they've had some trouble with keeping snow on the grounds.

I have been counting down the days to the Olympics for a while now! Love them! The summer games are also my preference over the winter games, but I enjoy both. I really do like figure skating, to me it is exciting because they can fall just once and watch their dreams go away. I even dvr'd the USA championships while I was gone. I like the skiing and snowboarding competitions as well.

I miss the days when everything was live. Now it is so easy to figure out who won before actually watching the games. I remember being young and my parents letting us stay up late or get up really early to watch events.

Even though I've been to the Winter Olympics once, I've never really been a fan of the sports. I prefer summer, although I do want to make it to Lake Placid one day to do the Skeleton and Bobsled runs during the winter.

It even operates during the summer but what fun would that be- http://www.orda.org/newsite/todo/summer/bobsled.php

The opening ceremonies are on my birthday... in Canada... without my being in the damned country. There's something wrong with that.

Regardless, I'm most looking forward to men's and women's hockey. Looks like Day 10 is the first with a Canada vs. USA matchup, should be interesting being in "enemy" territory.

What's interesting about the winter games as compared to the summer is that there's fewer events, but far more opportunities for serious injury or death. This makes it 1000x more interesting to watch. Plus, it's got the best hockey tournament in the world. The summer games are an absolute bore, with several exceptions.

The upside of winter: no exhausting coverage of Michael Phelps.

The downside: exhausting coverage of Apolo Ohno.

Go Canada Hockey!!

What's interesting about the winter games as compared to the summer is that there's fewer events, but far more opportunities for serious injury or death. This makes it 1000x more interesting to watch. Plus, it's got the best hockey tournament in the world. The summer games are an absolute bore, with several exceptions.

QFT. I am not a sports watcher, but even I love the ski jump and the luge. You've just got to skip all the boring stuff, like figure skating.

Even though I've been to the Winter Olympics once, I've never really been a fan of the sports. I prefer summer, although I do want to make it to Lake Placid one day to do the Skeleton and Bobsled runs during the winter.

It even operates during the summer but what fun would that be- http://www.orda.org/newsite/todo/summer/bobsled.php

The bobsled run for the summer there is pretty fun. They have since 1980 built a new track, so now they have 2 runs. When I did it a few years ago, they wouldn't let you on the new track. but you did the 1980 run. The old track they take you halfway up and start from there, the sled is on wheels. They have a driver and a brakeman, so you just go along for the ride, but manage to get some decent speeds. I could post pictures of it when I get home from work.

The bobsled run for the summer there is pretty fun. They have since 1980 built a new track, so now they have 2 runs. When I did it a few years ago, they wouldn't let you on the new track. but you did the 1980 run. The old track they take you halfway up and start from there, the sled is on wheels. They have a driver and a brakeman, so you just go along for the ride, but manage to get some decent speeds. I could post pictures of it when I get home from work.

Mike - My brother did about 10 years ago in the Winter, so I also have to go in the freezing cold.

The Vancouver Olympics just suffered their first fatality. A luge athlete from Georgia (country, not state) was going for a test run on the course and hit a turn too fast, launching him over the wall and into a steel poll.

There is video on Youtube, but it was taken down pretty quickly.

Story here: http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/764626--luger-from-georgia-dead-after-high-speed-crash. Be warned though, there are graphic images.

A horrible tragedy to start the games.

^Oh man that's scary. The pictures are intense too.

Seems like there's been a lot of talk about the track and that it seems much faster and dangerous then previous tracks. I wonder if they'll make any changes to it before the actual events start.

If anyone is morbidly curious, I've captured the video and put it up on CoasterTube. AGAIN, ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO HEART OR ARE COMPLETLY JADED!!!

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=1732180_50ac1c81-b5ad-4ab2-a724-e23473394751_prod_1-1_eftz[/coastertube]

That is incredible, and not in a good way. I just saw on Sportscenter the estimated speed at impact was 90mph. It always impresses me how this doesn't happen more often, but that doesn't make it any easier to stomach when it does. Especially when the represented nation has so few participates to begin with (Georgia only has 5 other athletes, assuming the nation still participates). I'm unfortunately intrigued as to how this will affect the festivities tonight.

Yeah, there are rumors that they may pull all the delegates.

So sad.

You really have to wonder about the placement of those giant steel beams so close to the track. I don't think padding them would have helped as slamming into anything at 90mph and stopping instantly is going to kill you.