TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Superbowl Commercials 2010

SharkTums

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have time to watch the Superbowl but I've watched some of the commercials online. The only ones that stood out to me were the Google one, the Doritos kid slapping the date, and the Griswolds. Oh and the "I wear no pants" one but that's mostly because some of the guys in my building have decided to make it their theme song and have been singing it nonstop (while wearing no pants I might add).

I agree with whoever else already said it: enough with the talking babies!

^ People tend to have high expectations for Super Bowl commercials because they're so expensive so we expect them to be good. Most of the commercials this year were local commercials and commercials for CBS shows so none of them really stood out IMO. Anyway... IMO the best commercials this year were...

- Get yo hands of my momma and get yo hands off my Doritos

- KIA

- Dante's Inferno

- Simpson's Coke

- Green Police

- Doritos Samurai

- Denny's Grand Slam Breakfast

- Budweiser Clydesdales

- Emerald Nuts

- Boost Mobile

I missed some of the other commercials because I had homework to do...

The number of tune-in "commercials" (this year for CBS shows since they broadcast the game) does not vary significantly year over year.

Also, there were not more minutes of commercial time sold locally versus last year. The networks are obligated to give a set number of commercials minutes each hour to the local affiliates to sell, that does not change each year.

I'm not sure of the exact time, but let's say each affiliate station gets 2 minutes of commercials to sell locally each hour of the broadcast. In larger markets, nationally advertisers try to buy that inventory to run their "national" ads in local markets.

However, if you live in a smaller city the local commerical time might not be purchased by a national advertiser and you are more apt to see an ad for a local retailer. So those living in larger cities are not seing ads for local retailers. It all depends on where you live.

I remember the commercial environment watching the Super Bowl in small town Gainesville being quite different than watching it in New York. Burger King, Coors, Pespi or Ford might buy the local inventory in New York (and other major cities) to supplement existing media schedules and counter the major sponsors of the game. In small towns like Gainesville the inventory was sold to Sonny's Real Pit BBQ or The Oaks Mall.

I saw this a couple weeks ago but it was still my favorite from last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rsEnwKrsvc

This is one of my favorite commercials ever. EVER!

I keep replaying it and I laugh every time. I tell everyone that I talk to about it and if they haven't seen it, I whip out my Blackberry and make them watch it.

That's interesting. Maybe I guess it might have to do with NBC's clause of him not being on TV for 6 months?

I'm also very surprised that Conan turned down doing that commercial with Oprah, Leno, & Letterman.

I didn't think the clause had anything to do with him not being able to be on TV for 6 months, though. I thought it was just that he couldn't "host" a show for 6 months. I remember Conan talking about that, cause he said that doesn't mean that Andy Richter couldn't host a show and then Conan could be his sidekick.

For me,

Get your hands off my Doritos

Simpson's Coke

Letterman

Betty White

Google

Stevie Wonder part in VW commercial.

Dislikes:

Boost Mobile Shuffle (Um what the .... was that? Cheetah Print thong)

E-Trade

Budweiser Bridge (Just dumb)

Why would Miller High Life not do the commercials after they advertised before the Game?

Andrew "The commercials let me down this year " Iorio

Why would Miller High Life not do the commercials after they advertised before the Game?

If you were 20 years older the Boost Mobile Shuffle would have made sense. Doesn't mean it would be funny, but would make more sense

Budweiser has category exclusivity during the Super Bowl broadcast.

If you were 20 years older the Boost Mobile Shuffle would have made sense. Doesn't mean it would be funny, but would make more sense

Budweiser has category exclusivity during the Super Bowl broadcast.

The fact that it was the old Bears "Super Bowl" shuffle? Because even with that it still isn't that funny to me.

Andrew "Still a let down" Iorio