TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Expedition Volume 13 is HERE!

Thanks for doing a test...a couple of things...

Alright, I just got done ripping Coaster Expedition 10 using the settings I described above (62% Constant Quality, Deinterlaced Video, H.264 Codec, no chapters, 720p, 5.1 surround sound), and the total filesize is 2GB (about double your goal, around 1/2 the size as the original DVD). Now, I know the DVD isn't in 720p, which would probably help get the filesize down quite a bit, and the audio's not in 5.1 surround, also something that would help the filesize drop.

I'll probably run this exact test just to take a look. Thanks for the help.

I ran a test using MPEG-4 codec, a 1GB filesize and a lower audio setting, and while there was a bit of quality loss, it's still perfectly playable and watchable on our 32" HDTV.

This is prettty much exactly how I've been doing the latest DVDs to MP4's. They are all about 800 - 1gb in size and like you said, a bit of quality loss, but perfectly watchable. And for the $5 per download we are charging I think it's a very good deal!

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't mind the larger filesize if it meant the full DVD quality. I'd be willing to put aside 2 GB - 2.5 GB for each Coaster Expedition / Raw "DVD" and still pay the same price as a DVD, but I know there are a lot of people that don't have large hard drives and don't do a lot of media watching on their PC.

I agree. I think the issue is right now that the masses just aren't ready for it. It already confusing for people to have a downloadable version of the DVD and I get a ton of questions about it (and I do try to educate people in the ways of digital medium because it IS the future!) and I think having an MP4 download and MKV download, etc, will confuse people more.

But it's something that we WILL do in the future.

The other issue is the load it puts on the server and the cost of the potiential overage we may encure. As it is right now, TPR goes through about 3tb of data per month and we are allowed 4tb with our current plan. The overages can be pretty hefty though and I'm hoping that as the digital delivery options because more and more main stream, the cost of data storage and transfer will also decrease.

While I'm at it, a cool idea would be to sell the "DVD" as a file on a small TPR-branded jump/pocket drive for $20. You can get a jump drive for less than $10 in bulk nowadays, slap a TPR sticker on it, put the "DVD" on the jump drive and make quite a profit. We did that with this year's marching band DVDs, and more people were interested in buying it this way than on a DVD, and it ended up costing less and taking a lot less time.

Heh, it's funny you mention this! I was just looking into this very same thing the other day!

Let me know if you want me to run another test with different settings, I have the files on my computer still.

Anything you want to run and share your findings would be very helpful. To be honest, what would be the most helpful would be to figure out how chapters work. When we do a DVD to MP4 the chapters come up very easily (especially our later CE DVDs or RAW as we've authored those to be more chapter friendly) but I'm not sure how that works with MKV videos or if it's even needed. If you watch one of our DVDs on the iPod you'll see that all the chapters come up and it's easy to skip around. I really like that. It would frustrate me to have to "fast forward" 30 minutes into a video to try to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help! Always appreciated! (After all you basically were in the loop on the original Club TPR ideas!)

--Robb

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my copy today! Loved the extra goodies!

Having a great time, watching it with Charlotte. She loves watching "baby Kristen!" (She recognized her, immediately! )

I am now, however, suicidally depressed over having to drop out of IntimidaTour.

Hey everyone, time for a NEW VIDEO!

Check out this video segment from the Coaster Expedtion Volume 13 DVD...WALDAMEER PARK!

You can now order Coaster Expedtion Volume 13 on DVD for $9.99 or as a Downloadable Video for $4.99 here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/store/

Enjoy the video!

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=wadlameer_wide_rpgz[/coastertube]

vol_13_large.jpg.b3ece00183c30cb1cfec78a45eb3dc07.jpg

I just watched this last night. (While TiVoing the Academy Awards. Yay! "Hurt Locker!" ) I must say, these videos get better and better. It's like spending an hour with some of the greatest friends you will ever have. Awesome fun is at every turn with Robb & Elissa leading a crazy pack of coaster nutjobs. I can't wait to watch it again.

These videos are only second to the amazing word filter that exists on this site.

Guy "Your doing the Lords work Alveys." Koepp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are all the segments we have released so far from Coaster Expedition Volume 13.

To purchase this DVD ($9.99) or Digital Download ($4.99), click here:

Knoebel's Segment:

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=knoebels_rj1m[/coastertube]

Lake Compounce Segment:

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=lakecompounce_wide_um8w[/coastertube]

Waldameer Segment:

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=wadlameer_wide_rpgz[/coastertube]

Coney Island:

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=coneyisland_w1h1[/coastertube]

To purchase this DVD or Digital Download, click here:

*The Digital Download version is only $4.99...yes... less than FIVE BUCKS...and there is NO SHIPPING CHARGE! Buy it now. You have no excuses!

Edited by robbalvey

I first bought CE DVDs to experience (or try to) vicariously what a real trip would be like. This was at the a time when I didn't really do rollercoasters, OR going out across the world with loads of random strangers to ride said rollercoasters. I loved the DVDs I got (Europe 2002 (?), Japan (can't remember the year without it in front of me), UK 2006), and it made me think that maybe I'd want to do a trip one day - these people looked like just the right sort of random strangers to go out across the world, and ride just the right of rollercoasters, with.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago, when I picked up CEs 12 & 13 - post-West Coast trip, so I'd been subjected to lots of awesome random strangers, and made good friends with most of them. Watching the DVDs, particularly #13 (veering back on-topic), it made me feel very nostalgic about West Coast, especially when I saw people I'd met on that trip, and increased my anticipation for the trips I'm doing this year - as well as making me quite annoyed that I hadn't got off my a$$ already, and tried to go on East Coast.

In short, it's an awesome document of what must've been an amazing trip - and I know this, because the earlier editions encouraged me to go on a trip myself. It'll be a sad day when we don't have a new Coaster Expedition DVD coming out every so often - especially since the West Coast one's still waiting!

I watched Vol. 13 last Monday night and I loved it. It was like watching a live action trip report. This was my first TPR dvd and it was great. I have Vol. 8 and 9 downloaded but I haven't watched them yet but I will this weekend.

I started watching it Sunday night and finished the first segment when my daughter had to go to bed. She made me wait until Monday night to finish the rest. She loved it.

I purchased Coaster Expedition Volume 13 way back when it was first released. Since then, I think I've probably watched most segments three or four times, but I only sat down and watched it straight through once. Now, I have all 13 volumes on DVD and have watched them all several times, so I knew what to expect. These DVDs do a really good job of showing off parks and how to have fun at them. They are by far my favorite theme park DVDs.

However, lately I've found that I'm not enjoying the recent volumes that much. CE 13 is certainly not the worst one in the series, but it is a long way from my favorite. If I were to rank them all from favorite to least favorite, I'd probably place them in the following order: 3, 6, 7, 8, 1, 2, 12, 5, 4, 13, 10, 11, 9. I don't know why it is, but I like most of the pre-TPR trip era videos better than the newer installments focused on a trip or a couple trips. I think it may be partly because the older DVDs showed parks from a variety of different places in the world while the newer ones tend to cover only one specific region. They all have some really good segments on them, but on average I've got more enjoyment out of the older DVDs.

I think the other problem is that parks are being covered on multiple DVDs and the newer segments just don't seem as entertaining as the ones on older DVDs. For example, only about a quarter of the segments on CE 13 cover parks that haven't been shown before. Of those, the only one that felt like one of the early TPR video segments was Waldameer. The other segments don't seem to show off the park enough and only show off random antics of the trip group.

Now, I still plan to keep buying these DVDs as long as they are made, as even though I don't like the newer ones as much I still really enjoy watching them occasionally, but I think I would like it better if they went back to Coaster Season (fill in year here) where there was one DVD per year that showed off all the new or significantly changed places TPR visited that year. I wouldn't mind if a DVD didn't cover every park on a trip when half the parks have been covered previously and haven't added anything significant in that time period.

Oh, and as for CE vs. RAW, I've found that over a year I watch every segment on every CE DVD at least once but I rarely will watch the RAW segments more than once unless I'm visiting a park with that coaster (I've only watched about ten segments on the RAW discs more than once and I own all four of them).

However, lately I've found that I'm not enjoying the recent volumes that much. I like most of the pre-TPR trip era videos better than the newer installments

This is all very good feedback and I appreciate the honesty. It's very hard for me, as the guy making the videos, to be able to pinpoint what makes an earlier CE volume segment different from a more recent one.

If there is any way you could elaborate that would be helpful. For example, what is it about this segment below from one of your favorite CE DVDs (Volume 6) that makes it better than the ones on Volume 13, or even one of the segments on your least favorite installment, Volume 9?

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=europa_1[/coastertube]

It's interesting that you list Volume 9 as your least favorite, because to me, that volume contains some of the best segments I've ever done including the PortAdventura segment, which is possibly my favorite segment of any DVD I've produced. But that's just me.

I really do love hearing the honest feedback. It helps us to make better DVDs in the future, or, if the case may be, perhaps it's time we retire the Coaster Expedition series and focus on something else...

Edited by robbalvey

I have been out here watching Robb's videos for a long time. I've always been highly amused by the antics. And I always felt like this was a group of people I wanted to hang out with. This video is a prime example of that sense of fun.

I love what Robb does with POV footage. In fact, no one does it better!

But this is the original style of video that attracted me to this group in the first place...

You can watch POV footage anywhere. This series makes you feel like you were THERE!!! And had a blast to boot!!

If there is any way you could elaborate that would be helpful.

To me, and it may be just me, but it almost seems that the newer DVDs spend more time showing the trip participants doing stuff than they do general park stuff. On the older DVDs, it seems like when a shot was focused on someone they were usually enjoying the attractions the park has. The newer DVDs also seem to show more stuff that the tour group did that most visitors can't do. It is almost like the older DVDs are "look what all you can do here" while the new DVDs are "look what we did here," almost like older was more of an advertisement (I hate to call it that though) and newer is more like a trip report. Personally, I would rather see what I can do at a park if I visit than what I'll do there if I go on a TPR trip.

It's interesting that you list Volume 9 as your least favorite, because to me, that volume contains some of the best segments I've ever done including the PortAdventura segment, which is possibly my favorite segment of any DVD I've produced. But that's just me.

All of the volumes have some great segments and some not-so-great ones. For volume 9, however, I think that, although the best ones were way up there (especially PortAventura, my favorite European park segment), there was just an unusually high number of segments that I wasn't such a big fan of or liked other segments of that park better (Parque Warner, Holiday Park, Phantasialand all had other segments on other DVDs I liked better, and I wasn't a huge fan of most of the smaller park segments (Isla Magica, Terra Mitica, Toverland) although I did like Parque Zaragoza and Klotten a bit). This may also be due to the location (Spain doesn't interest me) and it could also be because this was kind of the transition DVD from the older style to the new style.

I really do love hearing the honest feedback. It helps us to make better DVDs in the future, or, if the case may be, perhaps it's time we retire the Coaster Expedition series and focus on something else...

I really, really hope you contine making these DVDs. Even my least favorite in the series (volume 9) is still a lot better than any other amusement park show or DVD I've seen. These DVDs really show how to have fun at the parks, whether on your own or as part of a TPR trip. Maybe my opinion of the newer ones will change after I've experienced a trip for myself (IntimidaTour) or if I ever visit some random smaller parks and have firsthand experience of what they are like. If you keep making these DVDs, I'll have to see how I like the one with the West Coast tour because I've been to all those parks (I'm guessing that would probably end up being 15).

From being a new member on TPR I thaught it would be cool to see how the trips looked. They look extreamly fun. I really enjoy all the parks that were visited as i have visited many of them before as I live in Toronto close to many of the parks. It was a great buy for the price and I have watched it many times. I just can't wait untill TPR on BLU RAY!! that will be great. Thanks for your great video Robb.

Robb, I am a huge fan of the Coaster Expedition series. I LOVED volume 13. No only does the CE series show the rollercoasters, but it also shows other charm in the parks. I like seeing all the different parks and what they have to offer. Hope this helps, funny thing is..i'm watching Volume 13 right now again!

I got a request from Robb to write a review about Coaster Expedition 13. I would hate to see this be the last of the series. I have them all and they are all great. Fun to watch. They are about the only coaster videos I can watch multiple times. I am going back and watching the first ones again. Anyone can take videos from the front of a coaster. It just isn't the same as the madcap adventures of Robb and his bunch. I don't think that CE 13 is his best. Probably because I have visited these parks quite a few times before, but it is still great and worth every penny. Please don't let the series die. It is too much different. The jokes, the rides, the non-coaster rides, is what make them so special. Watch some of the European videos or the one in Japan and let me know if you don't smile and laugh. Can't get that from a POV show of some coaster. I have purchased all the RAW series and I watch them once and then put them away, never to be watched again. I have converted the CE's for my iPhone and even watched them on a plane and in an airport during a layover. LOVE THEM. Please keep making them. I know they are a lot of work, but to me it is worth it. This is probably only my second or third post because I believe so much in saving this series. Keep up the GREAT work Robb.

Bill Figie

Rob - I have been watching your videos online for as long as I can remember. I started following TPR way back in the 90's and love all the work you have put into TPR. Having said this, your CE videos are amazing. I only own a few on digital download, but I love to watch them. I also watch the clips on Coastertube over and over again. I think the CE videos really capture the essence of TPR and represent the foundations of what you have built. The fun, the coasters, but most of all , the parks. Moments like the escalator ride in Japan and Joey on the monkey bars are the best and I love watching them. I would be very sad to see these videos disappear. The videos also allow me to experience the full antics of a TPR park takeover! I would love to be part of a TPR trip, but until that happens, the CE videos suit me fine.

On a side note - my oldest daughter used to have some serious night terrors and your video of thunderhead at Dollywood would calm her down everytime! I would have been lost without it and spend many nights watching it and other videos of yours over and over with a child nestled in my lap.

RAW videos - don't really do it for me. They are fun to watch and I can see what a coaster is like, but they are like a bad coaster to me - not always re-ridable. I know they are popular, but just not my thing.

Please keep making the CE vids.

I recently downloaded Coaster Expedition 13 to my iPod, and have watched it whole nearly 8 times! On my computer, TV, and iPod! I've always preferred the CE series to the RAW series, based on the fact that the Coaster Expedition DVDs are like going on a TPR trip...for $10! The nighttime ERT on Boulder Dash in CE 13 even gave me chills once! It was crazy when the op was getting everyone ready to ride, I seriously just wanted to be there! Robb, these videos have come a long way, and they are absolutely fantastic! The mix of the music, editing, and filming are all fantastic and give Theme Park Review that edge in the coaster enthusiast world!

I just wanted to say I downloaded the CE 13 video for my ipod and I totally love it. I love all the different music used throughout. I also get a kick out of all the crazy stuff that happends on these trips. I'm hoping one day I can attend a trip because these CE videos truly show how fun the trips are. I'd definitely like to see another soon!

However, lately I've found that I'm not enjoying the recent volumes that much. CE 13 is certainly not the worst one in the series, but it is a long way from my favorite. If I were to rank them all from favorite to least favorite, I'd probably place them in the following order: 3, 6, 7, 8, 1, 2, 12, 5, 4, 13, 10, 11, 9. I don't know why it is, but I like most of the pre-TPR trip era videos better than the newer installments focused on a trip or a couple trips. I think it may be partly because the older DVDs showed parks from a variety of different places in the world while the newer ones tend to cover only one specific region. They all have some really good segments on them, but on average I've got more enjoyment out of the older DVDs.

I feel completely the other way round, I like the fact that the segments in the newer DVDs have a sense of continuity. 7 is I think my least favorite and the american and european trip volumes (8, 9, 10 and 13) are the best.

And of course they are excellent adverts for going on a TPR trip (Its one of the major reasons I am coming on one). It could be that because I am not as nerdy as some on this site that I prefer watching all the fun than looking at the park (although obviously I like to see some of it) The unsolvable problem between the two types of DVDs is that RAW works for people outside the site and CE never will. I will be very sad if/when CE stops.