TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Expedition Volume 13 is HERE!

Great video! Great park! Great song! This video makes the video I used with the Mika song look like crap. I can't wait to get my DVD and watch it several times like I have all your Coaster Expedition DVD's. You guys really are great at editing these videos and making sure to include everyone on the trip having a blast.

Graet job guys.

Jimmy "Can't wait for the DVD!" Bo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received it on Saturday and immediately opened the package and watched it. It was so amazing. It brought back some great memories. The music usage gets an A+. On Monday night, I managed to convince my whole family to watch it with me. My dad said, "It wasn't my thing, but they did a great job putting it together." Believe me, this is a glowing review from him. Thanks so much!

I purchased the download. Regarding one of the previous posters who said the download took forever, I had it fully downloaded and was watching it 5 minutes. For anyone who thinks the downloads are just for ipods/iphones. I watched this on a large flat screen and the picture quality was very good. Also the download is compatible with ps3s and new tv's that support flash drives for video.

Excellent video as always and well worth the money. I'll be showing this video to my wife and friends to convince them to hit some of the parks we've missed in the North East.

Chris "Waiting for Coast Expedition 14 or 15 to be in HD" Connolly

Many of you might not realize this...but the Coaster Expedition series has "special" qualities... some might even call them Magical....

I decided to do a series of experiments when I received my DVD in the mail.....I wanted to see if the rumors were true and Coaster Expedition 13 could actually cause miracles. Below you will see the photographic PROOF of this.

Make sure you get yours soon, so you can experience this for your self..

DSC00972.jpg.753d526f633d69762ca9709908bd85e4.jpg

IT HAS ARRIVED! Note the fact I am wearing special "CE Proof" gloves. I am not sure what the results might be on humans..

DSC00973.jpg.60d54755254b1c1aa4afa99f32363db4.jpg

I decided to take a normal glass of tap water...

DSC00974.jpg.20d9f2da947ea7bc032d664796ccf0d1.jpg

...and it turned into wine before my very eyes!

DSC00975.jpg.723508b4238c07428290853f264f1162.jpg

An ordinary tea light.. it couldn't possibly have an effect on this..

DSC00976.jpg.a517c3d80790def952bb18d22bf50fed.jpg

IT HAS THE POWER TO MANIFEST FIRE!

DSC00983.jpg.31da28fca732714021e1cef49901d41c.jpg

I wonder what will happen if I place it in water....

DSC00984.jpg.e83b5befda649144de20ea9b72699af4.jpg

OMG IT FLOATS!

DSC00977.jpg.c9ef9c947f9a8e583be22b7018dc3a89.jpg

I decided to see the effect it would have on the living.. an ordinary housecat will do well.

DSC00980.jpg.2de63837b571f1f33d87dbd00416cc53.jpg

This cat has been fixed for years and it brought its sex drive back!

DSC00981.jpg.08063ddede436f4e593dfda35b5ae531.jpg

.. and unfortunatly it had its way with it all night....Bye-bye DVD....

I watched a bit of 13 last night, did Bryan's mother have a say on the final cut, it looks like he gets good coverage on this one.

Nobody knows how to look quite as demeted as Tony, if he could act he could be the new Crispin Glover.

Is there an easter egg for Tyler's puppet show?

Thank you to everyone who voted!

I'm happy to present "Lake Compounce" from Coaster Expedition Volume 13!

You can now order Coaster Expedtion Volume 13 on DVD for $9.99 or as a Downloadable Video for $4.99 here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/store/

Enjoy the video!

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=lakecompounce_wide_um8w[/coastertube]

OMG, great video! I really need to experience Boulder Dash sometime, looks like such an amazing ride and I've heard so many great stories about it. I love when ride ops are that enthusiastic and have loads of energy like the one in the video. That must have been a great ERT session. I think I'll buy volume 13, I'm really liking what I'm seeing.

Awesome video! Lots of great memories. Thank you for posting.

^^Good times for sure! It's become and October tradition I think. We'll have to try it out again in 2010.

Count me in on that tradition I had a blast their last October as long as it doesn't rain again.

^Jon, for sure. Unfortunately, the rain has also managed to remain part of that tradition. Hopefully it won't tag along next time lol.

Had a chance to watch the entire DVD, great stuff! Did the idea of of supplying a bunch of us with camcorders work out footage-wise? I can only imagine what a monster job it must have been to sort through and edit. It was definitely a cool idea.

CE 13 is a perfect combination of Tony awkwardness, respect for the power of mayo and phenomenal coaster footage. The video quality is amazing on a big screen.

Robb, Elissa, Erik and Tyler, thanks for another great video.

Cheers,

J

Robb,

Have you at all looked into possibly offering the Coaster Expedition series in a different format? While I absolutely love the DVDs and I have #s 1 through 4 on my iPod, a lot of people are using things like Windows Media Center and AppleTV to play movies. Is there any chance we could ever see something like an MKV file available, where the full DVD quality and resolution is still there, but it's still a "mobile" file and can be played at a higher resolution for those of us that would use it?

Just wondering, as I'm sitting here backing up my entire DVD collection onto a hard drive in MKV format and haven't gotten around to transferring TPR DVDs over to my computer yet. I know I would be much more willing to pay the same price as a DVD for a file on my computer instead of the DVD itself.

Just my two cents,

-Jon "Going to be transferring DVDs for a LONG time still" Roost

Have you at all looked into possibly offering the Coaster Expedition series in a different format? While I absolutely love the DVDs and I have #s 1 through 4 on my iPod, a lot of people are using things like Windows Media Center and AppleTV to play movies. Is there any chance we could ever see something like an MKV file available, where the full DVD quality and resolution is still there, but it's still a "mobile" file and can be played at a higher resolution for those of us that would use it?

Yes, absolutely!

I have been looking into it. The biggest problem is the file size. Do you have any recommendations how to get a really awesome looking video that's still about 1 gig in size for a 60-75 minute show?

That's really the problem right now.

The .mp4 versions do look "ok" on a TV and you can put that .mp4 right on your media center (I put it on my WDTV Live) and it plays great!

The other thing I would like in an MKV file is for chapters to work. So if you have a recommendation for compression software that does all this, by all means let me know!

--Robb

I've been using HandBrake for a lot of my compression. 1GB in size might not have the best quality, but here's an example: I ripped a Comedy Central special yesterday that was an hour and a few odd minutes long. At 62% constant quality, keeping the aspect ratio as-is and 720p resolution, the file is still only 1.43 GB and neither of us could tell the difference between the DVD and the file being played on our HDTV. That being said, I also ripped Napoleon Dynamite yesterday and it's only 821MB, still crystal clear quality and actually longer than the Comedy Central special, so I guess filesize really depends on your settings, but I think the 62% setting is working really well.

I can't say I've experimented with chapters yet simply because I don't have any need for chapters with Windows Media Center / MediaBrowser thanks to the "Resume" feature. I know it's possible in HandBrake, I think you just import a CSV file with the chapters in it and it adds it automatically. If you don't have a CSV file I think you can add them manually (or just make a CSV file, I guess), again, not entirely sure.

I'll try running a rip of one of the Coaster Expedition DVDs today and see what I come up with.

Alright, I just got done ripping Coaster Expedition 10 using the settings I described above (62% Constant Quality, Deinterlaced Video, H.264 Codec, no chapters, 720p, 5.1 surround sound), and the total filesize is 2GB (about double your goal, around 1/2 the size as the original DVD). Now, I know the DVD isn't in 720p, which would probably help get the filesize down quite a bit, and the audio's not in 5.1 surround, also something that would help the filesize drop.

I ran a test using MPEG-4 codec, a 1GB filesize and a lower audio setting, and while there was a bit of quality loss, it's still perfectly playable and watchable on our 32" HDTV.

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't mind the larger filesize if it meant the full DVD quality. I'd be willing to put aside 2 GB - 2.5 GB for each Coaster Expedition / Raw "DVD" and still pay the same price as a DVD, but I know there are a lot of people that don't have large hard drives and don't do a lot of media watching on their PC.

While I'm at it, a cool idea would be to sell the "DVD" as a file on a small TPR-branded jump/pocket drive for $20. You can get a jump drive for less than $10 in bulk nowadays, slap a TPR sticker on it, put the "DVD" on the jump drive and make quite a profit. We did that with this year's marching band DVDs, and more people were interested in buying it this way than on a DVD, and it ended up costing less and taking a lot less time.

Let me know if you want me to run another test with different settings, I have the files on my computer still.

-Jon Roost