TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Every time there's a new post in this thread I'm afraid to click on it. I always worry someone might have found a 2016 teaser that says something like "Standing Room Only 2016" or "Something SHOCKing is coming to Dorney" or "WAVE goodbye to your man-parts #dp2016". You know... something corny and annoying like that.

Nah bro they'd rename it to something like Wavehawk1986

Steel force had about a 45-50 minute wait yesterday. Park was packed on a Wednesday.

And the park is also packed on weekends. Almost all Saturdays the lark has been parking in all the overflow lots, even going back by grave walkers. Coaster lines really don't tell you how busy a park is. Plus I would rather wait in a 5 minute line for a coaster than 5 hours for one.

Steel force had about a 45-50 minute wait yesterday. Park was packed on a Wednesday.

And the park is also packed on weekends. Almost all Saturdays the lark has been parking in all the overflow lots, even going back by grave walkers. Coaster lines really don't tell you how busy a park is. Plus I would rather wait in a 5 minute line for a coaster than 5 hours for one.

Steel Force was down for most of the day due to construction of the new Haunt building nearby. They were using a crane and they didn't want to run Steel Force with a crane right next to it. The entire park had lines (Demon Drop was nearly a 20 minute wait from what I heard, I wasn't working) until Steel Force opened, then everybody ran over there.

I guess that old Morgan still brings the crowds out somehow. It's earned the nickname Steel Forceless from me tbh.

I can kind of get why people say its forceless, because if you ride anywhere but the front car its a fairly mild ride, especially the further you get back in the train. The first drop is nice in the back car, but after that its snoozeville sitting back there. But in the front car its great, even the drop because I like that it has that slight pause and you kinda hang there for a second. I really grew a new appreciation for Steel Force after doing it a bunch during Coasting For Kids in June - after riding it a ton that day it advanced considerably in my rankings.

We were able to ride it all over the train - in fact instead of having us sit out a lap like they did early in the day, by the time we got to SF they were just making us move seats but stay on the same train. So we were just jumping on anywhere but we got a few front seat rides and they were absolutely the best. Any of those first three rows were great.

Steel "Force" is the only coaster where I was able to have a conversation during the ride. At one point I was turning around to speak to my friends, totally ignoring the ride experience. I can see why it appeals to the GP, but for me, it's very mediocre.

Steel Force was down for most of the day due to construction of the new Haunt building nearby. They were using a crane and they didn't want to run Steel Force with a crane right next to it. The entire park had lines (Demon Drop was nearly a 20 minute wait from what I heard, I wasn't working) until Steel Force opened, then everybody ran over there.

I guess that old Morgan still brings the crowds out somehow. It's earned the nickname Steel Forceless from me tbh.

I got off work there around 4 and went to talon which was my longest wait. Like 5 or so minutes. And hydra was a walk on. It did pick.up though after the water park closed. And that's about when I made it to steel force.

Steel "Force" is the only coaster where I was able to have a conversation during the ride. At one point I was turning around to speak to my friends, totally ignoring the ride experience.

I actually carried on a coversation about Breaking Bad with my friend while riding GateKeeper once! Of course, that was probably my 18th ride on it on Media Day, so it's not quite the same!

The back row on Steel Force is great. I don't really get all the love for the front seat. I'd say the only place it really makes a difference as far as airtime is the double-up at the end, and like every other coaster in existence the front gives you that weird push-pull feeling over the hills because you're decelerating going downhill as opposed to uphill, it just doesn't feel right. The back is where it's at. Think about it, assuming the train is evenly loaded, then on symmetrical bunny hops like on the return run, obviously the amount of airtime in the very front will be exactly the same as the very back, because science!

^^ Believe the hype. I am a complete and total back seat rider, since *most* coasters offer a more extreme ride back there (Hey Toro, Skyrush... how are yas?!) and also because the wait is never as long as the front. Anytime I am riding a coaster for the first time I always go for the back, if I like the ride a lot I'll try it all over the train if I can to feel the differences in forces, and if I can get on the front without waiting I'll eventually do that.

The first time I was at Dorney when we did SF, as usual we went right for the back, and we came into the brake run giggling about finally understanding the 'Steel Forceless' ribbing. Great first drop but absolutely nothing the rest of the ride. This was late in the day, full train. Nothing. Bunnyhills on the return = naptime. BUT later that night we came back around for another lap and decided to try it in the front (we actually went row two because of lesser wait, behind two tiny little girls so we had wind in our face and a perfect view ahead of us) and we were blown away by the difference. Then after being able to marathon SF @ C4Ks all over the train this year, including multiple rides in the front and back row, confirmed for me it is definitely a front seat ride. Night and day.

^^I grew up riding Steel Force, I'm sure I have more rides on it than any other coaster. I've ridden in every row, all over the place, multiple times. I don't feel any difference in airtime between front and back outside the double up and *maybe* the rise immediately before the helix, but there isn't much air there regardless.

Hey while we're on the subject, I wanted to point out it's recently dawned on me that on some days I actually like Steel Force more than Nitro. I'm a laterals fan, and SF has that spot after the helix and before the MCBR where you get a nice jab to the right, whereas Nitro is nothing but vertical force. Quirks like that make SF feel slightly more "out of control". Also I like the helix so much more than Nitro's turnaround, no contest. Plus it feels taller as you're going up the lift because of the view of the park and the bulkier support structure. What really sets it for me though is the train. I just love the boxy roomy train with a lap bar that doesn't even touch your lap. Nitro is more open but you spend the whole ride pinned to your seat. I love Nitro, and when I ride it my brain tells me it SHOULD be the better ride, but when I'm riding SF on a cool summer evening with a breeze in the air... I dunno, there's just something about it.

Ok, so you deleted my recent posts. But you didn't delete EastCoastKid's post, and he said things that bordered on racism. Referring to the Saturday summer crowds. His post is on page 202.

You're trying to call people out for what you should be banned for doing. You're a hypocrite through and through.

Also, I just re-read the post you're referring to. All that poster said was he encountered rough and inappropriate crowds and he wouldn't return. How is this racist? You're assuming that when anyone mentions rough crowds they are referring to black people--which is an extremely racist assumption in itself.

Why do you post here if all you're trying to do is stir the pot against Dorney, make racist comments, then call out other posters for doing nothing wrong?

Ok, so you deleted my recent posts. But you didn't delete EastCoastKid's post, and he said things that bordered on racism. Referring to the Saturday summer crowds. His post is on page 202.

You're trying to call people out for what you should be banned for doing. You're a hypocrite through and through.

Also, I just re-read the post you're referring to. All that poster said was he encountered rough and inappropriate crowds and he wouldn't return. How is this racist? You're assuming that when anyone mentions rough crowds they are referring to black people--which is an extremely racist assumption in itself.

Why do you post here if all you're trying to do is stir the pot against Dorney, make racist comments, then call out other posters for doing nothing wrong?