TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

Joke question, right?

It's Dorney. You might wait 10 minutes for Steel Force, and that's only due to the COVID protocols.

Like I just said that wasn't our experience at all last weekend. They took the ride's maximum capacity from 36 with 3 trains to 12 with 2 trains. It's realistically doing like 400 riders per hour and it's capacity is the same or worse than Maverick this year with covid. Most of the coasters had lines between 30-60 minutes even though they all should have been walk-ons or near walk-ons. Also, Demon Drop had a 30 minute wait at the end of the night which was hilarious, but they're also only running 3 cars on it. Dominator down was a walk-on and waiting for riders while that was happening which made me happy though.

Oh, and Thunderhawk's new capacity is 8 riders per train... maximum, but they can't group single riders so probably like 6 or 7 all so they can create needlessly long lines of people not social distancing or wearing masks where the park makes no attempt to enforce it in the name of social distancing.

Any movement on the old stinger site? I am really hoping CF starts working with Gravity Group

They mowed the grass the other day...

Edited by coasterbill
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joke question, right?

It's Dorney. You might wait 10 minutes for Steel Force, and that's only due to the COVID protocols.

Like I just said that wasn't our experience at all last weekend. They took the ride's maximum capacity from 36 with 3 trains to 12 with 2 trains. It's realistically doing like 400 riders per hour and it's capacity is the same or worse than Maverick this year with covid. Most of the coasters had lines between 30-60 minutes even though they all should have been walk-ons or near walk-ons. Also, Demon Drop had a 30 minute wait at the end of the night which was hilarious, but they're also only running 3 cars on it. Dominator down was a walk-on and waiting for riders while that was happening which made me happy though.

Oh, and Thunderhawk's new capacity is 8 riders per train... maximum, but they can't group single riders so probably like 6 or 7 all so they can create needlessly long lines of people not social distancing or wearing masks where the park makes no attempt to enforce it in the name of social distancing.

*shrug*

That's the exact opposite of what I experienced when I visited in July, though it was a Friday. Yes, the social distancing measures were the same (2/3rds of rows blocked on Thunderhawk and Steel Force, half the rows on the B&Ms), but the crowds were just not there. I waited around 15 minutes for Talon and Steel Force but everything else I went on was a walk-on.

Joke question, right?

That's insane...i feel like Knoebels was doing this right (surprise surprise...) by letting parties sit together on Phoenix and Twister and putting a row between each party.

All that's accomplished when you go to extremes like Dorney is apparently doing is you're making the lines longer. And those signs on the ground every six feet in the queue lines might as well say "stand so close to the person in front of you that you literally breathe your Covid directly into that persons mouth" because that's what most people in those lines like to do. Being 12 feet away from the next person on the Steel Force train for 2 minutes means nothing when you just spent 45 minutes with people standing 18 inches away from you.

Reading this makes me glad I drove right by Dorney without stopping on my way to Hershey and Knoebels.

It's literally a field of grass. We were there a few weeks ago. No markers, no nothing. Nothing is happening. Just a field of grass that would look better as a Schwarzkopf double looper.

Edited by coasterbill
Yeah it seems like weekends have been much busier, especially with the last minute announcement that people only have a few weeks left to visit this year.

Even on a Friday I had lines at Dorney this year. Talon, Hydra, and Steel Force had 20 minute waits. Those rides are worth the wait, but it's still shocking to have to wait at Dorney since I'm spoiled by that park's operations. Even though they could get away with one train operations most summer days (talking pre-covid), they'll still run their rides at max capacity with fast dispatches.