TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Wait... postponed? lol what?

Well Sunset Beach Bar was suppose to come this year, but recently, Dorney took it off their website and adding the new food offerings. But on Facebook, they said to someone that it has been postponed so technically it will be coming but not this year. So 2018 I believe is when it's going to come.

So no new coaster for 2018? Sounds about right.

Sounds just right. Probably 2020 if Cedar Fair remembers.......oh wait

There's no reason to dump a bunch of money into a new coaster at Dorney. I don't blame them at all, and Cedar Fair didn't "forget" anything. Selfishly I'd love for them to get a major coaster but that's not a realistic expectation. The largest announcement that I'm realistically hoping for from this park in the next few years is Winterfest, but even that's no guarantee.

Yeah, with the money they're spending on Hurler and Mean Streak in 2018 I didn't expect much of anything. 2019 is totally our year though...

Now that Cedar Fair is finally getting into the RMC business, it almost makes me wish Hercules was still around to get the treatment. It probably would have broken someones back if it was open another 15 years though. Hydra was for the best.

Yeah, with the money they're spending on Hurler and Mean Streak in 2018 I didn't expect much of anything. 2019 is totally our year though...

Now that Cedar Fair is finally getting into the RMC business, it almost makes me wish Hercules was still around to get the treatment. It probably would have broken someones back if it was open another 15 years though. Hydra was for the best.

However, CF only went with Mystic Timbers for 2017, so I could see another coaster in addition to Mean Streak and Hurler, likely to Canada's Wonderland

Hydra was for the best.

Shame its still the worst.

However, CF only went with Mystic Timbers for 2017, so I could see another coaster in addition to Mean Streak and Hurler, likely to Canada's Wonderland

Definitely won't be Corny Park.

Cedar Fair doesn't build any new coasters because Dorney has low attendance.

Dorney has low attendance because Cedar Fair doesn't build any new coasters.

This is it.

Wait... postponed? lol what?

Well Sunset Beach Bar was suppose to come this year, but recently, Dorney took it off their website and adding the new food offerings. But on Facebook, they said to someone that it has been postponed so technically it will be coming but not this year. So 2018 I believe is when it's going to come.

Sounds just right. Probably 2020 if Cedar Fair remembers.......oh wait

Ill leave this here.....

If my math is correct, Dorney should be....

Last new coaster- 2005, hydra.

This year- 2017.

2017-2005= 12 years.

So, at 20 dollars a year, there will be 240 dollars in Dorneys jar right now.

Basing this off of a B&M coaster, going to say the cost of said coaster will be 30,000,000 USD.

30,000,000-240($ already saved)= 29,999,760 dollars to go.

29,999,760/20(money saved per year)=1,499,988.

So Dorney will not see its next new coaster for another 1,499,988 years.

Cedar Fair doesn't build any new coasters because Dorney has low attendance.

Dorney has low attendance because Cedar Fair doesn't build any new coasters.

They're probably not seeing any ROI on the relocated coasters yet, so why bother pumping more money into the park?

Just a theory.

No matter what conspiracy theories you throw out there, Cedar Fair wants all their parks to succeed. Dorney built a coaster in 2005 and did not see the return on investment to warrant another big expenditure. Small changes, especially to the water park, do more to raise revenue.

Dorney would need to add multiple coasters (or one legit Top Ten coaster) to compete with Hershey and SFGAdv for thrill seekers. However, they would also need significant upgrades to compete with Knoebels to grow their family market. They are stuck in the middle and need to focus on the areas they are strong, or where they can be a leader. To me that is with the waterpark and season extending events.

Edited by larrygator

All right, I'm about to ask about lines and operations at Dorney, but wait--it's not what you think! This is all about Wildwater Kingdom!

I'm targeting a Thursday in late August, and Dorney's open 10-8, while Wildwater Kingdom is open 11-6. So the plan is to be at each park at opening. I love waterparks and would like to do everything at WWK, but bail early enough that I can ride what I want at Dorney before 6 so i don't run into waterpark guests wondering what the hell this Dorney Park is and has it been here this whole time?

Specifically I want to know:

- What is the best use of my first hour? Wild Mouse? Possessed?

- Aquablast says minimum 2. I'll be solo. Any issues being paired?

- Is there a particular order I should do the slides? Any waterslide that tends to get a long line?

Thanks!

I can't speak for the waterpark because I never go but once you leave and hit up the dry park lines won't be an issue at all, especially a weekday. No matter when I go to Dorney - a beautiful Sunday in June, a gorgeous Saturday in August, the peak of Haunt on a clear crisp Saturday night - the parking lot might be packed, but there are never lines more than 10/15 minutes for coasters TOPS. Most are 5 minutes or less. We're really not exaggerating when we say the park never has lines.

Your best bet will be to just get Wild Mouse out of the way (its closer to the waterpark anyway) because even if there is no line there will still be a wait cause its a Wild Mouse. Then head down to hit Steel Force because you're gonna wanna wait for the front since otherwise there is no point in riding it. The line for SF always seems to be a little bit longer than everything else, I assume this is because while we all know its a snoozefest, your average non-enthusiast park goer sees it as the parks "big one". Anyways, from there hit up the following in this order: Possessed, Stinger, Dominator, Thunderhawk, Demon Drop, Thunder Creek Mountain, Hydra and Talon. Save Talon for last cause its awesome.

Water park wise, I would hit up snake pit first. It's the most popular slide in the water park. Depending on how many people are in the water park, waits could be small or they could be long. Depends on crowd and weather. But definitely do snake pit first then wild water rapids, lightning falls, aqua blast and boa blasters.

Some of the slides now have wait time signs on the staircase so when you are on the midway you can see how long the wait is. I know aqua blast has them and I believe some others have it as well.

I never understood the whole front row is better than the back thing. I've ridden Steel Force more than anything else in the park and every time I rode the front it didn't feel comparable to the back at all. That's actually for most of the coasters there for me, with the obvious exception of Thunderhawk. Just thought I'd throw a different opinion into this thread since it isn't the most lively one.

Steel Force us very hit or miss. 90% of the time it is void of any intensity. However, in summer 2015 I got a ride in row 2 or 3 at sunset with a full train and it had borderline ejector airtime on the return trip bunny hops. Regardless of the airtime the ride is still enjoyable. Very smooth, long and the massive helix is neat.

I say this as a backseat rider almost 90% of the time on most coasters. Steel Forceless lives up to its nickname when ridden in the back. Really, anywhere in the train that's not row 1 through 3. There is absolutely no airtime ever back there, it just limps over the hills. I do like Steel Force but only up there for both the sense of speed and good airtime on the return. I've gotten some great airtime up there in a fuller train after its been running all day.

- Aquablast says minimum 2. I'll be solo. Any issues being paired?

They should allow you to ride with a group of 2 if the others don't mind sharing the raft. Last year I only tried to ride Aquablast once as a single rider and there happened to be another single rider near the loading area so we both rode in the same raft. Up until maybe 5 or 6 years ago you used to be allowed to ride alone but I guess they changed it because of the long lines it gets. Everything else in the waterpark except Cascade and Aquablast is single rider only (Cascade can be single or double riders).