TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Oh man, somewhere in a German cemetary Anton is rolling in his grave. A Vekoma replacing Laser...sad...

It's like dumping Jessica Alba for Roseanne Barr, you can't even justify it by saying it's lower maintenance or better personality. Anton just rose from the grave and is heading for Dorney to voice his disapproval, he probably won't make it there until haunt, so no one will notice.

What I don't understand is aren't these Invertigos a maintenance nightmare, to the point of being not worth keeping?

^ Probably. Demon Drop is bad enough. Of my many visits last summer, I don't remember one trip that it didn't break down or become stuck at the top and have to be evacuated. I'm not even disappointed, just confused.

I went to Dorney for a day last year and it did not break down at all.

I am excited! I hope Dorney gets this coaster. It will make up for the disaster of Hydra. Which in my opinion is one of the worst coasters I have ever ridden but I know lots of people like it.

Well, as I'm glad that Dorney park is getting Planet Snoopy, I'm still a little disappointed that all Kings Dominion (my home park) is getting is just another Snoopy Starlight Experience. Now keep this in mind that I do love Cedar Fair's Starlight Experiences, especially with the special glasses that allows you to see the lights as stars (two other forms of glasses can have you see them as hearts or snowflakes), but no other expansions to their Planet Snoopy? Perhaps the Starlight Experience and the Intimidator 305 first-turn-widing project, not to mention last season's major overhaul, was enough for the park to handle. Still, I can see some room in the park to add a few more rides for Planet Snoopy, but maybe that'll be in the works for the 2012 season.

As a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass Holder, this park is in my plans for a revisit and it'll be interesting to see the new Planet Snoopy.

"There is one thing I'll like to see: you resting your head upon me!"

Two inverted shuttle coasters right next to each other...facepalm.

Not only 2 shuttle coasters next to each other, but 2 YELLOW shuttle coasters next to each other. Cedar Fair loves yellow and red, so no way in hell is Invertigo getting painted a different color, except maybe with red instead of blue supports.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/parkland/mc-dorney-park-planning-oks-20110218,0,2411061.story

Planners OK new Dorney coaster

Amusement park says it's a 'similar' ride to the Invertigo being moved from California.

South Whitehall planners are recommending township approval of Dorney Park's plans for a new roller coaster in 2012.

There's still no name on the books for this mystery ride, which park representatives described as an "inverted boomerang" roller coaster Thursday at a Planning Commission meeting.

But park spokesman Chuck Hutchison said the ride is similar to Invertigo, a roller coaster that's being removed this year from a California park owned by Dorney parent Cedar Fair LP. There's also an Invertigo coaster at King's Island in Ohio, he said.

Hutchison wouldn't confirm the 138-foot ride is coming from the California park, but said the ride is coming out of Cedar Fair's inventory.

On the ride, seven attached cars seat riders face to face, climb a 138-foot hill and are released to go through three inversions forward and then backward, said Brad Nesland, Dorney's vice president of maintenance and construction.

It's a "modest coaster," Hutchison said. Riders have experienced it in other locations and it's no 300-foot-tall Steel Force, he said.

"This is not getting 8,000 more people in our park on the weekends," Nesland said.

Invertigo reopened in Great America in California last July, almost a year after a mechanical failure left two dozen people trapped 80 feet in the air for at least three hours. All of the trapped riders were rescued and no one was injured.

The ride coming to Dorney Park next year will be reconditioned, Nesland said. It will be rebuilt completely and repainted, it will have a new control system and the track will have gone through inspection.

The ride is slated for the western portion of the park, just north of Lincoln Avenue and Dorney Park Road and south of Steel Force, where the old Laser coaster used to be.

The Laser was removed in 2008 after 22 years of double-loop thrills. The portable coaster, anchored by tanks of water, was originally named Colossus. It sat on a 100-year-old flood plain, an issue that prompted township engineer Pidcock Co. to ask Dorney representatives to provide more information before the new coaster goes before the Board of Commissioners for final approval.

Continued:

Quote:

The ride will be on stilts and won't affect the flood plain, Nesland said.

Under Dorney's proposal for a new ride, several kiddie rides have been removed, as well as a basketball game, concrete midways and a portion of a paved service drive, affecting about 1.7 acres of the 187-acre property zoned as commercial recreation. The area will be roped off this summer, Hutchison said.

Commissioners asked about the noise and the lighting of the ride, and park representatives said noise will be nothing in comparison to the nearby Steel Force. The ride will be lit from the ground, except for emergency lights on the lift, Nesland said.

Joseph Bubba, an attorney for Dorney Park, said the park will ask the township to waive the customary traffic study. He said the park spent $30,000 on a study 18 months ago, and since then attendance has been flat. The ride won't cause the numbers to spike, he repeated.

Hutchison said the park will release more information on the ride sometime this summer

Looks like Invertigo is coming to Dorney for 2012 I guess.

I can't believe that they see more demand for a Vekoma Invertigo than Laser which was a pretty awesome little ride but whatever. Nothing we can do about that now.

As far as the Dragon Coaster, I rode it... I don't get why they ever had it in the first place but I'm glad they're moving it to another park even though it's not marketable and nobody will care. I guess since they probably already have a truck made for moving that exact ride somewhere it won't cost them more than a few thousand dollars and a few days to move it anyway.

I KNEW IT!

I knew that SOME sort of shuttle coaster would be put into Laser's spot!

Nice to see Invertigo getting a nice new home, especially at one of my home parks!

Hopefully they'll change the name and color, because 2 yellow/blue coasters will look INCREDIBLY bad right next to each other...

How will capacity be a nightmare when Dorney pretty much never has any lines?

...What park are you going to?

I've been to Dorney tons of times. I've waited on line quite a few times.

Longest I've waited was about 2 hours for Talon. Sure, lines RARELY show up at Dorney, but they indeed exist.

How will capacity be a nightmare when Dorney pretty much never has any lines?

...What park are you going to?

I've been to Dorney tons of times. I've waited on line quite a few times.

Longest I've waited was about 2 hours for Talon. Sure, lines RARELY show up at Dorney, but they indeed exist.

The longest line I've ever waited in at the park was like 15 minutes for Talon the year it opened, and I've been going there since 1996.

I don't generally take pictures of lines, but I have been to this park a bunch of times, and there have been lines every time. Here are a few pictures of said lines.

All coasters had a 30 min plus wait, and we even waited over a half hour for apollo, log ride, and the whip.

1570459717_102_8143(Medium).jpg.3ae44d793198bded63a60087eef495f7.jpg

679645243_102_8158(Medium).jpg.3afcfb539bf43d1cd16ca47caf0c582a.jpg

1360383496_102_8255(Medium).jpg.83938895eb8cdc60d2af7c47301684dc.jpg

489238197_102_8190(Medium).jpg.6b308ff03020897d7975714b61fa1ec4.jpg