TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

After Visiting Kennywood in 2004 after a 4 year absence, I actually felt the same way that everyone is talking about here about Dorney. When you start taking out really old things that have been there for years, the park starts to lose it's charm, and becomes corporate and plastic, which is a real turn-off for me. I love parks that have an old charm to them. It's a shame CF is doing this to it's parks.

• 2 weeks later...
This Is typical Ceder Fair

"It's nothing personal, it's just business."

I, for one, am glad the park is thinking to the future and not wasting time in the past. Rides, buildings, slides, etc. can't possibly withstand time, and can't be around forever. Replacement is necessary, Cedar Fair clearly outlines the lifeline of its property and equipment in its annual report, and this specific building is way overdue.

• 6 months later...

It has been reported that the park has just demolished Romig Mill, a centuries old building that the park states, had no more historical value to it. Heather Kramer, the public relations manager for the park, stated that they got everything cleared as far as permits are concerned to demolish the old building.

Robert F. Ott, a former co-owner of Dorney Park, stated that the mill torn down was one of 7 working mills that were once in existence. However, with the demolition of this particular one, that only leaves one mill left in the area

Yup, sounds like Cedar Fair. Don't worry, in like 5 years they'll throw up an old photo of the building, just like they did recently with all the old rides they took out when they acquired the park.

The parks around me are really pissing me off lately, looks like I'll be saving money on season passes and just flying to Europe more often.

Yeah, little by little CF is strip-mining KBF too. Can only wonder how much longer till they feel Ghost Town has "no historical value" and pave it all over for a food court or something. I know it's progress, but I don't get why CF feels their parks don't need any charm, uniqueness or history. Retaining some of the park's originality can coexist with progess (see DL).

^^ They actually love another thing - profits, which makes their moves understandable from a money sense. I just hate how they do it all though. Moneywise I guess it is all good, but I can't call it good business just because they kill the charm of parks.

Wow, I don't think Dorney tearing down an old building for profit is a reason not to go at all, that really confuses the heck out of me, do people go for a fun time at a park, or to look at old buildings? Want old history? look at Thunderhawk. The thing is ancient, but one of my favorites at Dorney. Pennsylvania is one of the most historic states in America, and I don't think Allentown is the only city with history.

I think some people are overreacting over something they wouldn't have noticed if it were still there, the spot went from something that would've been ignored by most, and became a place where people will but lunch.

Any it was in the middle of a theme park, which is a buisness that only effectively makes money by moving on with the future, out with the old, in with the new. I think it was a good move on the park.

Besides, I don't think bashing Dorney will bring them back.

We aren't bashing Dorney, we are bashing Cedar Fair. And you are right, bashing them won't bring anything back.

I love Dorney Park, but I hate Cedar Fair and what they have done with the park. I respect people that don't mind history going away as long as they respect the people that care about the history. And it isn't the fact that they got rid of it to save money on maintenence, it is the line that they threw in about "No historical value". That is the thing that really burns me. I realize that a lot of the million people that visit the park every year aren't really interested in the history of the park, but the locals and the people who have gone to the park for a long time hate to see things like this happen.

Cedar Fair parks just don't have any character.

Mr. Ott's insides are probably eatting him up.

• 1 year later...