TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

I think most people give these rides more credit then they deserve. If it was made by arrow instead of Schwarzkopf, people would not care nearly as much.

The layout was bland, short, and not that fun. Train was crammed and uncomfortable (I am 6'6"). Mindbender is a MUCH more enjoyable ride. I even prefer SDL at Hershey over this.

Sad to see it go, yes, but really it's not that big of a loss. The popularity and ridership was not there. Plus I am sure most of you will think "laser what?" come an announcement for it's replacement.

That is not my point, you misunderstood. Just because it is short is not the reason I don't like it. The ride wasn't bad, just I find it funny so many people seem so bothered by its removal.

Portable or not, the ride was not impressive by any means. People are more drawn to the man who built it then the ride itself.

Portable or not, the ride IMO was not impressive by any means. SOME People are more drawn to the man who built it then the ride itself.

FIXED!

Sorry pal, but I'm not drawn to any "man" I just happened to like the ride. There is also no need to be so brash with stating your opinions. I'd like to think most members here at TPR actually welcome differing opinions.

--Robb

^ Haha, that pic is great!

The ride wasn't bad, just I find it funny so many people seem so bothered by its removal.

One reason might be because these portable Schwarzkopf loopers are becoming pretty scarce in the US. The full sized Schwarzkopf’s like SooperDooperLooper or Revolution are great but they don't seem to have the power of the portable counterparts.

Plus they just look great in all their portable awesomeness!

It was my 3rd favorite coaster in the park after Talon and Steel Force. I am really annoyed Dorney is getting rid of it.

I think it is a huge loss for the park. I'm not even looking at it from an enthusiast's standpoint. It was one of the 3 non kiddie coasters that was at 48" or less, and it even though it as actually more intense (at least to me) than Talon and Hydra, it didn't look as intimidating. Plus not many parks have coasters with only 1 or 2 inversions anymore. I know that the only reason I ever tried a looping coaster was knowing that since Sooperdooperlooper only had 1 loop, if I tried it and didn't like the loop it was over after that. If SDL was gone as well, and all that was left was coasters with 4+ inversions, I don't know how quick I would have been to try a coaster with inversions.

I think it is a great ride and really enjoyed it last month. It was more smooth than I can ever remember it being. Sadly, Dorney has managed to get rid of all my favorite rides, Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Flying Dutchman, the rotating glass maze, the traver rocket and the Iceburg or whatever it was called.

I know! My family used to take an annual trips to Dorney when I was a kid, and a lot of my favorites rides are gone. I remember when Laser was called Colossus. Before Laser was built, wasn't there a pond with user-driven whale boats?? I know I have pictures of me driving a whale, but I may be mixing up locations.

Either way, another piece of my Dorney childhood is going bye-bye.

Despite bad weather, the removal of Laser has continued into this weekend.

The only parts of the ride still standing are the two loops and the first helix at this point.

The lift, drop, last helix, and all associated supports have already been removed and packed up for shipping.

Below are two photos, if you want to whole update here is the link:

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2008/11/laser-removal-photos-111508.html

Mike

DPLaserDownC1a.jpg.a3545369997d692e7f04cef8b857c45e.jpg

Overview of what's left.

DPLaserDownC5a.jpg.fca0af8afac46def505747ce926fd5dd.jpg

Workers check out the first helix track.

^ Haha, that pic is great!

The ride wasn't bad, just I find it funny so many people seem so bothered by its removal.

One reason might be because these portable Schwarzkopf loopers are becoming pretty scarce in the US. The full sized Schwarzkopf’s like SooperDooperLooper or Revolution are great but they don't seem to have the power of the portable counterparts.

Plus they just look great in all their portable awesomeness!

I'm just bothered because it was my first looping coaster, and, for a long time, were the only inversions in the park. I didn't have a love affair with the ride, but I did really really like it.

I guess theirs a part of me that feels sad about seeing Lazer go, but then again, on the bright side it should get more use and enjoyment where its going, than in a corner of Dorney, where people will be drawn away to bigger rides like VooDoo and Steel Force.

Am i late to this topic, or has it been confirmed that Lazer is going to the German fleet of traveling coasters?

Am i late to this topic, or has it been confirmed that Lazer is going to the German fleet of traveling coasters?

You seem to be really good at asking questions that are already answered in the thread you are reading!

--Robb "That's twice today!" Alvey