TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Having never been to Dorney, how does Laser compared to Scorpion? I like Schwarzkopfs in general, but don't think much about Scorpion.

Scorpion has one loop, and Laser has two loops. I think it's more fun on Laser because it has two powerful loops. They both turn around and around, but maybe Scorpion turns around a little more because it doesn't have an extra loop. Again, I think Laser is the better version, but I think Shockwave at SFOT is even better than both of those.

^^^^^Everything you said made sense. Wow, and I thought that I was the only one that thought that about Steel Force, Talon, and Laser being the greatest of the three.

Unless that price includes disassembly, reassembly, and transport which I very much doubt, it doesn't seem like good value. I'm surprised they wouldn't just practically give it away for a token amount if the buyer is willing to foot all of the above costs.

I remember seeing Intamin 1st Gen freefalls like Demon Drop for $250K but I don't think they were getting any takers.

My experience with Schwarzkopf's is that they are always better than they look, for example, Monte at Knott's looks like nothing but the launch is quite forceful and it's a good ride.

Have you ever been on a good one? Like, one with loops?

I dunno.. 1.2M may not be too bad for a small park that couldn't afford a $5+M ride

Considering that Six Flags is paying out like $7.5 million for wild mouse coasters this year, $1.2 million for a good sit down looper does not seem unreasonable. Though, if Dorney really wants it gone, I bet they'd be willing to take a bit less.

Knoebels would seem a pretty good place to move this ride to. It's close and they're experts in tinkering with older rides. Only I'd imagine they'd want to get their Flying Turns mess sorted out before taking on another big project.

With all the delays and problems with the Flying Turns, do they have the money for a ride like Laser? I don't imagine that Knoebels ever planned on FT to take several years to build, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've spent waaay more money than they planned

Still, they are the logical, and probably best choice, since they would run it right.

Thart's a real shame. Since Dorney refuses to take the brakes off of Thunderhawk, Laser is easily the best coaster in the park.

It's a Cedar Fail park. If they took the brakes off, you might get some airtime. They can't allow that.

It's a Cedar Fail park. If they took the brakes off, you might get some airtime. They can't allow that.

Because Maverick, Magnum and Blue Streak don't have any...

Dorney's Doppel Looping should stay right where it is. I was there last SAT and it had a decent queue with plenty of people eager to ride despite Voodoo having only a two-train wait. That alone speaks volumes.

With the ex-Conklin unit also on the market, I'm hoping an enterprising traditional park (Knoebels, Lake Winnie, Canobie, Camden?) gets one of these beauties.

The previous night we stopped by Hershey. Haven't been there in years, but SDL has aged quite well. Although the trim brake along the creek is annoying and unnecessary, it was still a joy to ride with only a ratcheting lap bar -- just as Anton intended.

Schwarzkopf coasters have staying power like few other rides ... anywhere. That's a fact.

Now it's time to book passage down to Baja Calf. Sur to see how Thriller (with its neutered first drop) is behaving in its new home ...

-S

My god Schwarzkopf coasters are the most overrated rides of all time.

Have you ever been on a good one? Like, one with loops?

I dunno.. 1.2M may not be too bad for a small park that couldn't afford a $5+M ride

Greezed Lightning (Astroworld)

Mindbender (SFOG)

Montezooma's (KBF)

Scorpion (BGA)

Laser (Dorney)

Shockwave (SFOT)

Only ones I can think of off of the top of my head, the only ride I would wait for more than 10 minutes of those listed is Mindbender, as it is a fun ride.

I have been on others such as Wildcat clones.

I see this as a perfect opportunity for a smaller park to pick up a cheap, yet incredibly fun, classic coaster!

I wish Beech Bend would look into this... (Scrap that Pinfari piece of crap!)

• 4 months later...

I was at the event that Dorney had as a small good bye to Laser on the park's last day. It was a nice turnout of people who wanted to get in some last rides.

The ride is supposed to start to come down this week in order to be shipped to Germany.

There's also a history of the ride here with older photos and the like. I'm going to try to put on a youtube video of the ride on it's last day too.

Mike

LaserGoodbye1.jpg.c82f6ed2ec543d15226f69a00375d392.jpg

LaserGoodbye2.jpg.27ef216fb93bb7a37f97938373318ba1.jpg

Lasergoodbye3.jpg.5fc4f0759e97a269b25e6b1a72c5ae31.jpg

Lasergoodbye4.jpg.c207275744b8128e7602333cba4fe0c9.jpg