TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Last Tuesday, Talon, Hydra, Steel Force and Thunderhawk were all walk ons, Laser was a 10 minute wait (Voodoo was closed). It still can get a line but that's due to the horrible capacity with a 2 train wait taking close to 10 minutes.

What I think happened was someone was going to buy the ride last time it was up for sale last year. It was going to be removed from the park this year and that's why it wasn't in the rider safety guide (they left it out in 2 spots, which sounds like it wasn't an oversight). The deal fell through and that's also why the ride was ready for opening day since they had more work to do on the ride as they weren't expecting it to be at the park this year

Why not have a "TPR's Purchase Laser Fund" (original, eh?) drive.

Since there are calenders already made up...we print and sell them in front of supermarkets or sell them at school or in the office.

OR

Since there are about 26K registered TPR users..Laser is up for sale at 1.2 mil...then we would only need to contribute about 50 bucks per member to buy it ourselves!!!

Then I wonder, where would we put it??

Damn Laser was probably my third favourite coaster at Dorney [behind Talon and Hydra]... and easily had the most forces of the three. Nikki blacked out for half the ride!!!

It had the longest wait of any coaster when we were there, too.

Why not have a "TPR's Purchase Laser Fund" (original, eh?) drive.

Since there are calenders already made up...we print and sell them in front of supermarkets or sell them at school or in the office.

OR

Since there are about 26K registered TPR users..Laser is up for sale at 1.2 mil...then we would only need to contribute about 50 bucks per member to buy it ourselves!!!

Then I wonder, where would we put it??

I will take it in my back yard.

To address a few things:

I guess I'm mad because it is a good ride, and I'm a Dorney guy that is just seeing the life get sucked out of the place. I know that a lot of people on other sites have bashed me along the way for holding on to the past, but it is the truth. Laser is Dorney to me. Usually, I'm totally all about a good business move, just like I am finally starting to cope with the fact that Hercules is not there anymore. It get it - if something is costing you money to run, then get rid of it. But without Laser, Thunderhawk would be the last of what I consider to be "The Big 3", and that would be sad. Plus, it was my first looping coaster back in the day.

I get that there is horrible loading, but the ride has character. The ride had about a 10 train wait last Sunday when I was there, and it was the longest line that I have seen for the ride in a long time.

I had been taking a lot of pics of the ride back in 2005 when I was kind of fearing its demise, and it is ironic that I thought might have to start a Laser tribute thread at some point, but I really didn't think it would be anytime soon.

I'm still sticking with my prediction that the ride will be there for 2 more years. Right now, it is just hope.

I really have no opinion on the park planning on removing the Laser, it's one of the only bigger coasters that I haven't ridden yet (besides Wild Mouse).

I might get there this summer, so I might be able to get my first and last ride on it.

"Hello? Cypress Gardens? How would you like to have the only double-loop Schwarzkopf coaster in Florida? Have we got a deal for you!"

I like Laser a lot--here's to hoping it finds a good home.

With its location practically next to the new coaster, I would expect Laser's ridership to increase this year, but in previous years it was in a fairly dead area of the park, surrounded by kiddie rides. I wonder if Dorney has expansion plans in the works that call for Laser's removal, which would suck, because it's still the most intense ride in the park, and a ride I make sure I ride on each and every visit, just because I've been assuming CF would take it out now for the past 5 years, as it's actually fun and intense, unlike practically every other coaster in their repertoire.

I know of many a park that could use another good coaster than even the smaller folk could enjoy, one of them being just a short distance away from Dorney, making that 26 trailers full go up real quick....at least quicker than their current project. Anyone know Dick's private number?

This is the coaster I am most interested in riding at Dorney. I think there will be a riot among the East Coast trippers if this one goes before August, I can see Elissa leading the pack, torch burning.

Luna Park Sydney you should get this ride but I know you won't.

^^^ I guess Knobels is a possibility. That is something that some friends and I have thrown around for a while.

^^ I am certain that they would not get rid of it before the end of the season if they get some offers. Then again, this is Cedar Fair.

^ I have $252 from my income tax and my $600 stimulus check coming to add on to your $50.

I believe that the new owners that bought wild west world is talking about a new steel coaster named"The Grand Doppler" which is very similar to Doppel Looping. Haha. Plus they said it will feature two inversions. Well I guess so.. As you all know. Kansas really needs some entertainment and at least a decent credit.

I don't think it gets too much of a line, but yet it's not my homepark, so I don't really know if it does it or not, but I'm thinking it does.

Either you think it gets a line, or you don't. Make up your mind!

It'd be a shame to lose Laser, hopefully it finds a good home. It was probably my favorite coaster at Dorney. Steel Force was dull, and I didn't really "get" Talon.

^It certainly is one of my favorite's as well. It will be a shame to see it leave (if it does). I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that it will stay local.

man this would be pretty unfortunate if this was to all fall into place. Laser definitely is the most intense, while it's not my favorite at all I still like to get some rides while I'm there just because of how classic it is because it's a Shwartz for crying out loud. I hope Dorney sees what wonders Voodoo will do for that side of the park because of the people Laser will get cause I also think Laser is one of the few rides that I consider "Dorney" as well, let's see what happens.

Sadly, I think Cedar Fair and the new buyer are in for a major surprise when they try to take it apart.

When Bobbejaanland removed their Looping Star back in 2003, they wanted to move it somewhere else in the park. But, since the ride was made to be portable and it was not taken apart in over 20 years, all the track joints had corroded together! They litterally had to physically force the sections out and that pretty much made moving the ride cost prohibitive, since all the joints had to be rebuilt... So, they scrapped the ride and sold the trains to Walibi Belgium for use as spare parts to keep the Turbine going.

Has someone emailed Dick Knoebel yet? I think that would be awesome personally. I love Laser, its very fun and intense, and obviously a classic, I hope it goes somewhere where it is loved and taken care of.

Maybe they should, I don't know, get their current coaster mess resolved before taking on another big project.