TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Plans were just released that heavily suggest that Dorney will be getting a shuttle wooden coaster in 2021 similar to switchback railway at ZDT's. The only thing that some are worried about is it appears that Possessed is not in the site plans. I however do see the corresponding station for it, so I think the worry is a bit premature. But Cedar Fair has been looking to get rid of rides with low reliability/high operating and maintenance costs, so it could be on its way out. But it looks like finally a new coaster for Dorney after 16 years which is fantastic!

https://southwhitehall.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Dorney-Park-Attraction-Master-Site-Development-Plan-Sheet.pdf

If the plans are happening, Possessed is leaving. They are keeping the mechanical building and modifying pathways around it and adding a path that leads from the road. The plans show them cutting concrete around the paths and even pouring concrete over where the entrance sign is. Seems like a bad decision to me especially with a park with so few coasters.

Planning Commission Notice

It clearly states the park is removing an attraction, and building a new attraction. I am pretty confident that the ride being removed is Possessed. The other item which sticks out to me is that it lists the height as 106 ft tall, while Switchback is only 64 ft tall, so its going to be a much bigger version, or the height in that document is a mistake.

Planning Commission Notice

It clearly states the park is removing an attraction, and building a new attraction. I am pretty confident that the ride being removed is Possessed. The other item which sticks out to me is that it lists the height as 106 ft tall, while Switchback is only 64 ft tall, so its going to be a much bigger version, or the height in that document is a mistake.

I believe you. Also I could see them wanting to make it bigger to easily advertise it with 100 foot drop and to differentiate it from Oscar's Wacky Taxi.

Possessed uses the highest electricity out of any right in the park. The main reason why the holding break was turned off. Plus ever since it was hit by lightning, they have had problems with it.

That maintenance building in the plans houses all the electricity for the lower part of the park i believe.

This is great news. The park could really use a modern wooden coaster (or just a new coaster in general), even if it comes at the expense of Possessed. It is the oldest operating Intamin Impulse coaster after all, and we know that Cedar Fair is on a spree of removing high-maintenance rides.

Cedar Fair has not worked with Gravity Group yet (assuming that is the manufacturer), so this will be an interesting project to watch unfold. It is refreshing to read some good news out of the industry.

I absolutely love Possessed and I'm sad to see it go. That said, bravo to the park/ Cedar Fair for coming up with this. Assuming it is a much larger version of a Gravity Group shuttle, I think this is the perfect fit for this park. It's something I would've never thought of for Dorney, but this is something very marketable and should be a great ride.

Both decisions make a lot of sense to me. With all of the negative things happening out there, it sure is nice that Dorney out of all parks is giving us some hope. If this is a large version of Switchback, we sure are in for a big treat! That kind of coaster will be amazing for a variety of age groups, and it will be a very reridable experience. I have already reserved my front row ride!

I absolutely love Possessed and I'm sad to see it go. That said, bravo to the park/ Cedar Fair for coming up with this. Assuming it is a much larger version of a Gravity Group shuttle, I think this is the perfect fit for this park. It's something I would've never thought of for Dorney, but this is something very marketable and should be a great ride.

For what it's worth, Switchback placed at #39 wooden coaster on the TPR Coaster Poll this year, so Dorney Park's new coaster should be great indeed.

I LOVED Possessed. . but then again, when I rode it, the Holding Brake was still working, so that might be why I really loved it (way more than Wicked Twister, which is just "meh" to me).

the only thing I was sad about not getting to experience at Dorney during our visit was Stinger. . it was down during our visit, and now gone.

hopefully they do get a new coaster on the dry side.

I liked Possessed, but overall I really won't be that sad to see it go. Without the holding break it's kind of "meh" for me.

Very happy for Dorney Park if this happens.

(pretty much anything will be better than what Stinger was, that was the most unpleasant coaster experience I had ever had)

I like Possessed but I feared the worst when I saw Intamin being removed and thought of everyone's favorite car crash simulating tower. Demon Drop is literally the only reason I ever stop at Dorney.

Wonder if this will stay in Cedar Fair's possession. Maybe King's Dominion so they can keep pace with BGW?

If Possessed is getting removed, I am willing to bet Cedar Fair will scrap it.

But then again, if they relocated it to Kings Dominion, that would be hilariously ironic to replace a problematic Intamin launched inverted coaster with... a problematic Intamin launched inverted coaster. lol

We'll take it in Kansas City, please.

I was going to say maybe they'll throw a bone Michigan's way. Wouldn't be the first time they got something off the Cedar Fair scrap heap.