TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

I posted this in the KI thread, but I actually think it makes a lot of sense for Dorney to be getting Firehawk from KI (I'm almost certain that's the coaster being removed.) Not only is Dorney the kind of park that can make the terrible capacity on Firehawk seem less atrocious, it could be marketed as the ONLY Flying Coaster in Pennsylvania! A distinction, which given how many amusement parks and coasters are in PA, is actually not too cheap. The space freed up by Stinger's removal, and moving the Flyers, along with the land behind it, would fit Firehawk perfectly. I know people hate the "It's due" argument in relation to the lesser tended to CF parks, but let's be real here... DP definitely is due for something larger to be added, and of all the things they could add, a used Flying Dutchman coaster from elsewhere in the chain actually would be a solid addition for the park. Time will tell, but the lack of announcements for DP so far, combined with the sudden late announcement of a coaster at KI closing, and now this planning agenda confirmation of a project big enough to require township approval, all seem to point to the above scenario being very possible.

I hate the no boos. I get they are an easy money maker, but they shouldn't allow them in the mazes.

According to the last bit on the sign, they don't.

Well that is new for this season. About time they do that.

But also...

Don't get your hopes too far up! Pretty sure that was just for the dorms that will be being built http://www.mcall.com/news/local/parkland/mc-nws-south-whitehall-dorney-park-employee-housing-20180920-story.html

I posted this in the KI thread, but I actually think it makes a lot of sense for Dorney to be getting Firehawk from KI (I'm almost certain that's the coaster being removed.) Not only is Dorney the kind of park that can make the terrible capacity on Firehawk seem less atrocious, it could be marketed as the ONLY Flying Coaster in Pennsylvania! A distinction, which given how many amusement parks and coasters are in PA, is actually not too cheap. The space freed up by Stinger's removal, and moving the Flyers, along with the land behind it, would fit Firehawk perfectly. I know people hate the "It's due" argument in relation to the lesser tended to CF parks, but let's be real here... DP definitely is due for something larger to be added, and of all the things they could add, a used Flying Dutchman coaster from elsewhere in the chain actually would be a solid addition for the park. Time will tell, but the lack of announcements for DP so far, combined with the sudden late announcement of a coaster at KI closing, and now this planning agenda confirmation of a project big enough to require township approval, all seem to point to the above scenario being very possible.

New CEO doesnt like relocating rides. So, no.

^Matt Ouimet (the former CEO now Executive Chairman) was the one that didn't like relocating rides. That was mostly from a maintenance point of view and he said it wouldn't work at a second place. With that said, SteelHawk (Knott's WindSeeker) did get relocated during his tenure.

The present CEO, Richard Zimmerman, hasn't made any statements regarding relocated rides. Doesn't mean he doesn't stand by the same ideology though.

Assuming it is FireHawk and assuming it is for maintenance reasons/costs then it probably would be scrapped and the parts used to support Nighthawk. But, let's say that FireHawk is being removed because it's a low capacity ride for the size park it's at, then it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that it would be relocated. Highly probable? No. But slightly? Yes.

I posted this in the KI thread, but I actually think it makes a lot of sense for Dorney to be getting Firehawk from KI (I'm almost certain that's the coaster being removed.) Not only is Dorney the kind of park that can make the terrible capacity on Firehawk seem less atrocious, it could be marketed as the ONLY Flying Coaster in Pennsylvania! A distinction, which given how many amusement parks and coasters are in PA, is actually not too cheap.

They literally just removed a high-maintenance relocated Vekoma and you're expecting them to replace it with another high-maintenance relocated Vekoma?!?

For what it's worth: Dorney's maintenance team is top notch. Between Thunderhawk, Possessed, Demon Drop, and Stinger (while it still operated) the maintenance team pulled some real miracles to keep the lineup (mostly) running at least when I worked there. It's my understanding Dorney is used as a training ground for future Cedar Point maintenance crews, due to the variety and frequency of downed rides. If maintenance is the reason KI is removing Firehawk, it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up at Dorney.

EDIT: AJ posted between me clicking reply and my actual post. Honestly man, we're talking about Dorney. We got both Demon Drop and Stinger when it was assumed both rides were going to the scrap pile. Demon Drop in particular is a maintenance nightmare, our crew nicknamed it "Demon Downtime" for good reason, and it's still operating. Dorney's maintenance team works extremely hard to keep these nightmare rides alive and kicking. Do I think it's likely? No. Is it possible? Absolutely.

Gotta admit the discussion yesterday kind of scared me. So I texted a FTE who has worked at the park since the late 90's and would have knowledge of the situation. He confirmed that Firehawk is not coming to the park.

Getting a big, new to you coaster "scared" you, especially when you haven't gotten anything in years???

Firehawk is a fun coaster. I wouldn't take it over Dorney's B&Ms or Steel Force, but it'd probably slot in right behind that. My one issue with that coaster is the capacity and that isn't as much of an issue at Dorney.

Though I think it's far more likely parts go to Carowinds to keep Nighthawk going.

Its as fake as Kim Kardashian's body.

Not to nick pick at things, but they could of done a better job of at least trying to get the light blue bar to match to the actual website.

FWIW, I could not find anything that showed Dorney nor Cedar Fair filing anything with the FAA.

While Vekoma does have a new, supposedly more reliable train design for the Flying Dutchmen now, I can't imagine a park website ever advertising a coaster that way. Most of the guests aren't going to know or care if it's a new train, probably the majority wouldn't even know it's not an all new coaster...and I don't think the park would would be trying very hard to inform them otherwise.

As much as I'd love for Firehawk to end up at Dorney...that would be a very strangely worded ad.

Also, if that's format testing, the address bar would be showing a different web address, probably a local file, not something on the web at all. If it was actually at dorneypark.com like it shows...it would be showing the live page.

Very, very fake. Sadly.